===[TASK]=== Rocks! - Don't they rock?

Gen.Kenobi

The rocks looks nice, but there are a few problems, namely they do not extend below the terrain grid. This is important, as rocks are not always placed on flat ground. I know the old rocks don't extend into the ground either, but those are old. :) All new assets need to extend into the ground. The same goes for your Fortress--it needs a foundation that extends into the ground in case someone wants to put one on a hill or something. Most of the newer buildings have this. (y)

Also, the normal and spec maps won't work until someone commits a build. ;)

But I'm not happy with the AO - don't know what's happening, the faces not receiving sun-light are black - nor with the current texture... It looks too whiteish for me.

And i just noticed that I may need to fix the geometry on some spots :P

BTW, Michael, if you get the time, can you create a table, like this one for geology stuff (with references)?

Those look great. I was just thinking, you could do some pretty cool effects for metal mines with specular maps. You could do sparkles like granite or ribbons/rifts of shiny silver/gold.

Indeed! :)

Wow, beautiful rocks :D Except for the AO artifacts but overall nice work (y)

Yeah. I really don't know why the AO is doing that. Maybe it's too strong? I'll have to check it out.

Metal mines can definitely benefit from the new effects too. Eventually it would be nice to get rid of the "sparkle" particles but we should make sure everyone can see the specular mapping first (currently requires GLSL).

I like the sparkle particles though. And the "specular" effects on a rock aren't as spectacular as you may be envisioning. The sun has to be at the right angle and it usually isn't.

I like the sparkle particles though. And the "specular" effects on a rock aren't as spectacular as you may be envisioning. The sun has to be at the right angle and it usually isn't.

The environment mapping Myconid was working might look more interesting - something like this:

brass_teapot.gif

I wouldn't call them "sparkly" though, more like fireflies rising from the mine or something. OK it makes them stand out, but it's not what we wanted originally :) Specular is probably not noticeable enough for small flecks, but what about adding a new shader effect that reuses the specular map? Something that can add an occasional glint or bling to arbitrary objects, noticeable at distance (enabled in the material of course, as an addition to specularity). It would look nice on spear tips, swords, helmets and such. Replicating that with particles would be difficult, we'd need to actually add prop points all over the different models.

And then maybe we can think about lensflares and ghosts :P

Just kidding. :) (but it would look quite cool in a future-startrekish-mod)

Back to the rocks. In case you didn't notice, yesterday I went and fixed the specular for the Temperate Rock formations that are playable on the BelgianBog map. I'm really with not very much time on my hands anymore, so the progress into "Rocking" will be really more slow, but I'll try to get them done (For Alpha 11, I think they are quite nice so far). Sorry about that guys :/