Weapon Uses

wrod

I noticed while playing units are only melee or ranged even tho irl most of them were both like the Imperial Centurions

i think there should be a feature for special units like that for example the Spartans to throw their spear take out a sword and continue fighting and possible even retrieve their thrown gear too and for some like the Centurions who would have multiple thrown weapons could throw like 4 javelins and then continue fighting with a sword

Units with both ranged and melee attacks have been planned. I'm not sure quite how they would work though.

For what you suggest with Centurions with a limited number of spears it could work with a cooldown timer so they would automatically get a new spear after 1 minute or something. This would save messy micro of picking up thrown spears etc.

• Like 2

Can't do like the haio wololo style? :ninja:

Only this version converting animals into units.

It's not realistic though, I mean a trained infantryman + captured wild horse doesn't make a trained cavalryman by any means. So you'd basically have an infantry unit handicapped by trying to ride a wild horse :) Instead of that, it seems easier and more accurate to train a cavalry unit -- where "training" abstracts several related concepts like conscription, paying/hiring the unit, acquiring equipment and actual combat training.

Though capturing wild animals is planned for herding/corralling at least for resources, but I could imagine other benefits tied into that: say you capture N horses, it might increase your cavalry production rate or something.

what about Soldiers turning enemy citizens into slaves? (faster and cheaper workers)

That's planned. Cavalry units will be able to capture female citizens.

Though capturing wild animals is planned for herding/corralling at least for resources, but I could imagine other benefits tied into that: say you capture N horses, it might increase your cavalry production rate or something.

Actually that's about what's been planned :) See http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Persians#CIVBONUSES and http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Iberians#CIVBONUSES and http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Carthaginians#CIVBONUSES :)

Ranged units with melee attacks are feasible. Just have a look at AoE3. Most Western riflemen have melee attacks with different bonuses (strelets vs. infantry, musketmen carry bayonets and has a bonus against cavalry, skirmishers have poor melee, but longer range than other riflemen). At least the Immortals should have this.

It's not realistic though, I mean a trained infantryman + captured wild horse doesn't make a trained cavalryman by any means. So you'd basically have an infantry unit handicapped by trying to ride a wild horse :)

Yes, I agree about the training concept. However if the game has this capture/ride animal feature and someone creates a map with lots of horses or elephants, it will be an interesting battle. :medieval:

Sorry for not replying in a while but I really want this so I can make a realistic battle of thermopolae(that's how I got my profile picture) instead of putting other units (I know other hellenes factions where in that battle but they retreated early on to protect their cities and leonidas told other spartans to leave which left the 300 spartans fighting alone and getting surrounded)