Dynamic Water

wrod

The waves we have now looks more like ripples. I think we could throw in a configurable wave amplitude, beach waves (breakers) and perhaps some scattering and caustics. Also, I think you'd want another physics for flowing rivers, like fluid dynamics.

Consider something like this for rivers:

Is this really calculated in real time??? The Navier-Stokes equation is pretty complex to calculate even with further simplifications for high fluidity...

This also seams to include a general physics engine (including most of mechanics like inertial and gravitational mass, coherent bendable materials etc.). I'd strongly advise not to try to implement this on our own but rather use an existing physics engine if available. It's hell a lot of work and has to be implemented extremely efficient.

Of cause it would be cool to have though ^^

Edited by FeXoR

The main simplification seems to be that they only calculate the fluid physics in 2D. It is probably still too advanced for our uses but perhaps some approximation could be found that looks reasonably nice, even on lower-end systems.

The main simplification seems to be that they only calculate the fluid physics in 2D. It is probably still too advanced for our uses but perhaps some approximation could be found that looks reasonably nice, even on lower-end systems.

Additionally incompressibility is enforced that reduces complexity to n*log(n) which is quite nice. At the surface it's fully 3D still as far as I get it. The grid used seams to be quite rough and particles are used to further increase the visual detail level.

However, astonishing!

Maybe we could precompute a base model of the river with fluid dynamics as the map is loading and then animate that model with simpler techniques once in-game.

• 3 weeks later...