AI needs a bit more help....

ardvark71

Hi all...

I tried out version 10 today and although it was nice having the additional maps and nations, I can't say I really cared for the "town upgrade" feature reminiscent of Age of Empires. Although, what is nice about it is that it takes longer for the AI to attack you, allowing you more time to build up your defenses. :)

While I realize the game is still in Alpha, The AI is still in need of a lot of work. I was playing the "Third Macedonian War" map and had opted to play the Macedonians. The army I was given was sufficient to eliminate the small Roman town or outpost. However, by that time, the "Greek allies" of Rome managed to do the same to my army and after a while, began to attack my town in force. I think I would have lost this map had it not been for one thing...

The AI found out I still had chickens around my town center and literally sent almost every villager and soldier it had on hand to harvest these chickens while my towers and fortresses were picking them off one by one! We're talking around 50 to 100 units total! :excl:

Needless to say, their goes the AI's economy and unit production capabilities and I was able to wipe out their (large) city with very light, (almost non-existant) opposition.

That was something else...

Regards...

Edited by ardvark71

Actually the AI doesn't use technologies yet, so that shouldn't affect when it attacks you. :P Perhaps it is you who are getting better at playing 0 A.D. ;)

Hi...

I didn't know that, thanks! :)

I would suspect that there would be a slight difference when the AI is able implement the technologies.

Regards...

It's a relatively simple thing to conceptualize all the cases where the AI needs to modify its behavior and do this or that, but it's another thing to actually code the AI to do these things. :)

Indeed! I have the hole concept but can't make sense of the current AI API. I guess me and Quantumstate think very different :self_hammer:

Indeed! I have the hole concept but can't make sense of the current AI API. I guess me and Quantumstate think very different :self_hammer:

Me, too! (Also don't understand the common-api and the whole implementation of units and templates and that stuff, but that might also be because of me not having any programming experience ... ;) )