My feedback on Alpha 10 (bugs included)

iap

Hi guys. I really want to say that this alpha is so cool. It actually starts to feel like a e\real game.

So first of all: Thank you!!

The big new things in this release are noticable and good. Phase progressing, Wall building, Tech upgrades and even the shiningness on the shields.

I played my favorite RMS: Ardenes Forest against 3 different (Qbot, JuBot and another one) bots.

The game got stuck alot, and put lots of errors about JuBots. I don't know if JuBot is being developped, if so, then I'll recreate the errors and post them.

Starting the game again only with Qbot was fluent. No lag at all, even after more then half an hour and even after full zoom out (with no camera restrictions). So This is very cool!

Things I noticed:

The wonderfull graphics is one of the best features of the game. To enjoy it (And I really do) the camera movement should be much smoother (not neccecerly slower) and with wider and closer limits.

There is something weird with pathfinding. I know it's being developped, so if it's known then sorry. The troops don't go around the walls I've built even if they have an openning somewhere. Instead they just go strait to where I pointed, until they hit a wall. They do go around houses and terrain.

Q bot has put up a good fight at first, but then later it just gave up. This map has plenty of resources, so I don't know what happened to it.

Two little glitches in the wall building: All the times that I started to draw a wall, I draged the mouse, but instead of the wall folowing it, nothing happened. Only clicking started the proccess. I think it should be both, it's more intuitive.

Sometimes a wall did not end with a tower (I don't know why) and then I could not connect anything to it.

Ok there are several more stuff, but they are small, so no need to mention. If these things are excepted, I can make tickets for them.

Thank you all guys for the awesome work on the game :)

JuBot isn't being very actively maintained currently but it would hurt to post the errors. If they are easy then we can fix them quickly, otherwise Jubal might might do more, especially over the summer I think he might have more time.

Alt-D will give you some developer options including completely unrestricted camera movement.

qBot giving up is a mysterious problem which I haven't worked out yet. If you can send me (or post on the forums) a saved game of a time when qBot has given up it would be helpful. One case that I know of is that gatherers all get in each others way and hit a deadlock for a certain resource. Then other gatherers are retasked to this resource because the bot is running out so they get deadlocked etc. This is pretty obvious though since all of the units are standing in one spot.

Continue this topic with the bugs i found playing this amazing game.

First of all, I play the mac version, nowadays without sound. That's not a bug beacause i know the team is working on a new sound system.

Bug list:

- When you start a game with single player (against IA bot) i can't change my civ. I think i'm stupid not discovering how to do it and i think it's posible but it's not so clear how to do it.

- When you are playing the menu button doesn't work, or the menu button work when you click it ten times.

- In the game. When you are under attack, your workers cannot go into your buildings. In AO you can play a bell and all your workers you to your town hall. For 0 AD i think you must put a bell action and the works could go to any of your buildings, not only the town hall.

- There is no Barrack building to train your soldiers. Train it in the town hall it's so weird.

- Train cavalry in your town hall is not an option, It only must be in the stable.

- The requirements for units and buildings need hignlight, is written with the same colour and the same font size than the other info. Must be in the first line, another info is secundary i think.

- When you move your troops there isn't a destiny's mark when you click its destination if it isn't an enemy. Will be great see a mark when you move and see this mark when you select your moving troops. An Extra will be see the path they are following.

- Workers must be women and men. If you only put women, the game will be so sexist. You can put some different characteristics between them. More effort and storage for women and more health and fighting damage for men.

Thank you for create this great game.

There is a drop down menu called Match Type in the top left corner of the Matches screen set to Scenarios. In Scenarios, the civilzation along with most other settings can't be changed, so switch it to Random. Random, allows a lot of settings to be changed, so it should be more to your liking.

The menu isn't perfect, F10 also opens it.

Technology has just been implement, only citizen-soldiers can build advanced structures like barracks, which require the Town Phase. Players start in the Village Phase.

Citizen-soldiers can be trained at a civ center (town hall), because advanced structures, like barracks, wouldn't be available otherwise. 0 A.D. isn't like most RTS games, such as Age of Empires, which inspired 0 A.D., where there is only one type of worker.

Only the Persians have a stable, all others use the barracks for both infantry and cavalry. The cavalry at the civ center are also hunters.

Waypoint markers would be nice.

There are two types of workers, female citizens and citizen-soldiers (civ center/barracks infantry). Female citizens are better at farming and can only build civilian structures, while citizen-soldiers are better at quarrying and mining, and can build any type of structure, but get worse at civilian duties as they rank up.

Edited by Zeta1127

The citizen soldier concept (and thus any effects of it like being able to train fighting units in the civic center) is one of the core concepts of 0 A.D. and will not change.

Waypoint markers is planned (and quite possibly the path being displayed while the units are selected will happen as well).

A town bell is probably going to be included as well (though you can garrison your units manually already, just press the button in the GUI or Ctrl+Right Click on the building you want to garrison them in).

Highlighting the units requirements, maybe, but on the other hand, at other times you might be more interested in the stats or what units it counters, so I don't think it's so easy to just highlight the one or the other. Especially since you can just click to train/construct and you'll see how many more of each resource you will need before you're able to train/construct it.

give them the power to convert enemy units.

Please no, don't do this. It's already unrealistic that priests can heal far away from battle but possibility to convert enemy units or buildings is too much. It's unrealistic and overpowered. But hey that's just my opinion. ;)

Continue this topic with the bugs i found playing this amazing game. First of all, I play the mac version, nowadays without sound. That's not a bug beacause i know the team is working on a new sound system. Bug list: - When you start a game with single player (against IA bot) i can't change my civ. I think i'm stupid not discovering how to do it and i think it's posible but it's not so clear how to do it. - When you are playing the menu button doesn't work, or the menu button work when you click it ten times. - In the game. When you are under attack, your workers cannot go into your buildings. In AO you can play a bell and all your workers you to your town hall. For 0 AD i think you must put a bell action and the works could go to any of your buildings, not only the town hall. - There is no Barrack building to train your soldiers. Train it in the town hall it's so weird. - Train cavalry in your town hall is not an option, It only must be in the stable. - The requirements for units and buildings need hignlight, is written with the same colour and the same font size than the other info. Must be in the first line, another info is secundary i think. - When you move your troops there isn't a destiny's mark when you click its destination if it isn't an enemy. Will be great see a mark when you move and see this mark when you select your moving troops. An Extra will be see the path they are following. - Workers must be women and men. If you only put women, the game will be so sexist. You can put some different characteristics between them. More effort and storage for women and more health and fighting damage for men. Thank you for create this great game.

Mate, did you play 0ad for like 10 minutes lol? you can train cavalry in stables aswell as train soldiers in barracks, also the women are better at farming and collecting berry bushes. Town bell is planned. You can change your faction by changing game type to random on skirmish screen.

Healers (priests) are too underpowered. They only give 5 HP per heal. Give them more healing power so they are viable in battle or give them the power to convert enemy units.

I hated this feature in AOE games, its cheap and annoying so please don't add it.