0 AD idea

Vlad123

The relasing version of the game is very slow! The game, how you can see, is still in alpha version Because the development is slow and hard for the 3D graphic. The idea is to convert the 3D graphic into isometric graphic so the developement of the game would become much faster. I know that your work in these years was very hard but the game was done by a games company, with many programmers and graphic designers ... and not as a basis for an open source game .. if you see open source games they are isometric or at least on turn! Because many are really looking forward to this this game for years, and probably will remain disappointed because they will never see the complete game, but probably only the pre-beta!

Actually I would say that the graphics programming is most likely the fastest part, at least now that the base engine is done already. For graphics programming you can reuse, or just slightly modify already existing code and concepts, while for gameplay it more or less always needs to be unique for our game as gameplay varies from game to game.

To make 2D sprites you still have to model things in 3D, then convert them to sprites. In fact, you'd need to make very high poly 3D models first in order for the 2D sprites to look nice. To make animations you still have to make 3D animations first, then export them to 2D, a complicated process. So, by making the game 2D you are not making anything easier for development. The reason they did things in 2D back in the day (AOE1, AOE2, etc.) is not because of aesthetics, but because hardware was incapable of good real-time 3D graphics at the time.

it .... But to many people with computers with good graphics the game does not go! It does not work even if things off the water or other things! So if you want a popular game changed the game, the graphics, make it lighter ....In short it is, the first classic RTS game type (Net panzer frags only focuses on the game) like age of empire / imperium! So I just change the game vichiedo in'oltre isometric if it is lighter!

yeah, yeah .... sure .... the trees (I'm not kidding you) the problem and that the game with 3D graphics rather not go to many net panzer is having, then slowly success .... or change the graphics or play it will always be those "4 cats" ....

io, come molti giocatori non vediamo il gioco, ma solo ombre! Quindi il gioco o lo programmate su computer meno potenti o usate un grafica più scadente! O entrambe le cose! Perchè chi usa il gioco sono pochissimi player con computer super potenti! Perchè questo gioco è stato creato da una Software hause di giochi e quindi doveva stupire per la grafica! Voi non dovete stupire per la grafica! trovare un RTS su linux è già una cosa che stupisce ....quindi....

Me as well as many players do not see the game, but only shadows! So you should program the game on less powerull computer or you should use a less powerful graphic! Or both! Those who use the game have't got a super powerful computer! This game has been created by a software house of games which aimed to surprise for the graphics! You don't have to surprise anyone for the graphics becouse finding a RTS on Linux is already a thing that surprises .... so ....

But it costs you!? You just change the graphics! Only this! I do not think it is so difficult! Anxi with an isometric game becomes faster and more readable by computer is not just super!

1) the game is heavy! YES in'oltre slowly drain goes to a few, because only few people have computers powerful!

2) Make new units or buildings in isometric mode is much easier and faster!

3) The game would be played by more people and would receive more donations!

4) Many people see only a white background and black figures .... This reinforces the option 1.

5) To develop the game using the computer too powerful! Reduce the power of the base game!

6) There are a Software house of games! You do not have to impress the graphics! Many people complain, "For once you find a decent game on linux is too powerful! And then, I do not work: ("

So would you prefer to continue to play a game with 3D graphics, but that will be played by very few people. Or do you prefer an isometric game to be played by most of the world?

you should use the profiler to check if the problem is the graphic.

I don't think that change the graphic to isometric is a fast thing

Non penso che cambiare il motore grafico per renderlo isometrico, e ricreare tutti i modelli degli edifici e delle animazioni sia cosa da poco

parli italiano? Bene di che se si fa isometrico molta più gente riuscirà a giocarci e che sarà anche più facile da correggere e da modificare! perchè un conto è inserire un'unità 3D cosa che solo gente con grande abilità grafica riesce a fare mentre un'unità isometrica risulta già più facile,stessa cosa per gli edifici e le altre cose, tipo i combattimenti! insomma il gioco diventerebbe molto più leggero e giocabile(anche da chi non ha computer super potenti!) Voi che giocate quanti siete? 20-30? potete anche essere 200 o 300 ma io prerirei che a giocarci sia la maggiorparte del globo e non un piccolo gruppo con computer potenti!

you speak Italian? Well what if you do isometric many more people will be able to play and that will also be easier to correct and edit! because one thing is to insert a 3D thing that only people with great graphical abilities can do as an isometric is already easier, same for buildings and other things, like fighting! in short, the game would become much lighter and playable (even those not super powerful computers!) You're playing many of you? 20-30? can also be 200 or 300 but I prerirei that play is the majority of the globe and not a small group with powerful computers!

It is not easier to make a high quality 2D game, as I have said before. If you want simple "Legend of Zelda" style sprites, then maybe so... but that's not the "look" we want to see with the game. We want something that looks nice, so to accomplish that in 2D will require high poly modeling and renders. This would not be any easier than the current approach.

• Like 1

I don't know what are you talking about Vlad, but 0 A.D. runs perfectly on 5(!) years old laptop with 2GB of RAM and no graphic card whatsoever only integrated Intel graphics with no power. It lags only on naval maps (we know why) and when totally zoomed out. I don't think 3D plays any important role here.

parli italiano? Bene di che se si fa isometrico molta più gente riuscirà a giocarci e che sarà anche più facile da correggere e da modificare! perchè un conto è inserire un'unità 3D cosa che solo gente con grande abilità grafica riesce a fare mentre un'unità isometrica risulta già più facile,stessa cosa per gli edifici e le altre cose, tipo i combattimenti! insomma il gioco diventerebbe molto più leggero e giocabile(anche da chi non ha computer super potenti!) Voi che giocate quanti siete? 20-30? potete anche essere 200 o 300 ma io prerirei che a giocarci sia la maggiorparte del globo e non un piccolo gruppo con computer potenti!

you speak Italian? Well what if you do isometric many more people will be able to play and that will also be easier to correct and edit! because one thing is to insert a 3D thing that only people with great graphical abilities can do as an isometric is already easier, same for buildings and other things, like fighting! in short, the game would become much lighter and playable (even those not super powerful computers!) You're playing many of you? 20-30? can also be 200 or 300 but I prerirei that play is the majority of the globe and not a small group with powerful computers!

vlad, i've told you to run the profiler to check if the lag is raised by graphical complexity

Vlad, ti ho detto di lanciare il profiler per vedere se il lag è causato dalla grafica: come ti hanno già detto molte volte sia in questo post che nell'altro, il lag di solito è causato dall'algoritmo del pathfinding e dalla IA, e non dalla grafica. Inoltre considera che questo gioco è in versione Alpha.

Infine, non è cosa da poco fare modifiche al motore grafico e rifare da zero tutte le grafica per la visuale isometrica.