Alpha 10 Feedback

Lion.Kanzen

• the walls are cool but its important have gates for next release
  • an animation for units that are healing by a priest
  • performance (Ai, pathfinder, multi-core processors)
  • more visual indicatores
  • new units sounds, or variety
  • improved GUI
  • improved AI for sea maps
  • Ai must be the same tech restriction than player/human

why Romans don't have regular Palisade?

its only that for now. but the game are incredible.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Awesome, I have been building off the SVN regularly and the game has stablized and is so much fun to play now !! :)

Yes, looking forward to gates in the next release too. So I was wondering, how about piecing together a fun learning scenario. I still remember the story based William Wallace scenario in Age of Kings which introduced me to the game. Was an awesome intro that hooked me to AoK for ever !!

Maybe a scenario that demontrates essential skills and features.

By the way, are trebuchets planned ?

350px-Trebuchet_Castelnaud.jpg

Edited by madmax

Yes, looking forward to gates in the next release too. So I was wondering, how about piecing together a fun learning scenario. I still remember the story based William Wallace scenario in Age of Kings which introduced me to the game. Was an awesome intro that hooked me to AoK for ever !!

Maybe a scenario that demontrates essential skills and features.

A learning scenario might need triggers or something to be more "interactive" with the player, in other words telling them when they do something correctly. I mean we could make a map with one player and bare minimum entities, it just wouldn't be as fun or instructive IMO. I don't think we plan anything like triggers for Part I of the game.

By the way, are trebuchets planned ?

Don't think so, lol :D

Yes, looking forward to gates in the next release too. So I was wondering, how about piecing together a fun learning scenario. I still remember the story based William Wallace scenario in Age of Kings which introduced me to the game. Was an awesome intro that hooked me to AoK for ever !

A learning scenario might need triggers or something to be more "interactive" with the player, in other words telling them when they do something correctly. I mean we could make a map with one player and bare minimum entities, it just wouldn't be as fun or instructive IMO. I don't think we plan anything like triggers for Part I of the game.

We can use an AI to compensate for lack of triggers. I think it is definitely worth having a guided tutorial and shouldn't be too much hassle.

But trebuchets are cool :) :)

Yeah, I guess the AI can detect certain events.

With the addition of diplomacy, gates, alerts when attacked, capturing / convertng enemy buildings and perhaps cute AI dialog, the game will finally be feature complete as compared to AoK(I mean that as a compliment of course :) )

Regarding movement of formations, when a formation decides to change the direction of movement, dont you guys think the soldiers at the side move a bit too fast ? They seem to suddenly accelerate then slow down which looks kind of like a truck changing directions :P

By the way do you think stuff like day and night , wind or rain would add to the gameplay ? I remember winds in Sid Meir's Pirates of the Carribean rushing ships along towards the rocks !!

Also lighthouses in the night would look cool near sea ports, or fires at the top of towers :) . Perhaps outposts can use fires to signal over large distances. The lighting effect would be challenging though - using light maps or something. Lit up houses in the night and camp fires would look great. Low visiblity may make some strategies possible that were impossible in AoK

Edited by madmax

By the way do you think stuff like day and night , wind or rain would add to the gameplay ? I remember winds in Sid Meir's Pirates of the Carribean rushing ships along towards the rocks !!

It has been cut from part 1 (basic gameplay and the civs from 500BC-1BC), but will be reconsidered when we start work on part 2 (more advanced gameplay, story-based campaigns/scenarios, and the civs from 1AD-500AD). You can manually create a scene with low lighting already, it's just that there are no additional effects/automatic day/night cycle.

I think it would be cool though if someone wanted to implement something like this, it wouldn't be too complicated and might be a nice environment effect on certain maps, at a much lower rendering cost than particles. It wouldn't have anything to do with seasons or weather cycles, just rain on a tropical map or snow on an alpine map :)

• Like 1

I think it would be cool though if someone wanted to implement something like this, it wouldn't be too complicated and might be a nice environment effect on certain maps, at a much lower rendering cost than particles. It wouldn't have anything to do with seasons or weather cycles, just rain on a tropical map or snow on an alpine map :)

Right, I could see "weather" being used to add ambiance. I can't really see weather affecting gameplay in a big way though.

I would like too see a very in depth diplomacy system where i can do trade treaties. peace treaties and so on with the bots. I want to be able to bully the bots into giving me things for my protection from the other bots. i want to trade technologies with the bots/players giving us both an advantage. I know it would be hard but it would be really fun to play with bots and i think 0ad should have a really good (better than any other rts game) diplomacy ai.