Crowd-sourced Civ: Mauryan Indians

Mythos_Ruler

Btw, I don't know how accurate the turban the spearman and archer is wearing. I've never seen that before. It's mostly a hair knot and a turban.

Those look like some turbans from modern Arabia.

And the shoes the spearmen is wearing looks off too.

sa-00-Chakra.JPG

sculpture_135.jpg

Turbans

Image from the folks that made the RTW mod called 270 B.C.

yes you are right, the turban wearing could not be accurate because indian dress is "dhoti". I think reason in this picture is "tumbler" because this pictures is not drawn in India. The painter try to make tumbler similar to dhoti about 90% but they forget one thing (In dhoti front of the cloth is folded to back). and one thing more the female shown above wearing a some hat ( hemlet, cap, don't know how to pronunce).. i never seen any picture of old indian female who is wearing this type of cap. (they wear crown).

****** My motive is not to criticis the work, I'm putting my views and I could be wrong sometimes. *******

When it comes to india dress:::

The sculpture shown by "@lilstewie" is good reference but lower part of body and upper part of body could not be put semi naked.

2232889251_158215669f_z.jpg?zz=1

Here are the some examples today movie maker and game makers made the old female of india

/home/rahul/Pictures/Screenshot from 2012-08-20 07:51:00.png

From Chandragupta maurya series ::::: 2 females. one is chandragupta wife.

Farah from Prince of persia. (it could nice nice example because they try to make indian ancient female warriors.)

stup.GIF

Stupa from the Satavahana dynasty.

F1932.26.jpg

Another supta from the Maurya-Sunga period.

Amaravati-Stupa1.jpg

Stupa recreated from the satavahana period.

Chandra_Gupta_Maurya_entertains_his_bride_from_Babylon.jpg

i never seen any picture of old indian female who is wearing this type of cap. (they wear crown).

What do you mean by crown?

achaemenid_01.jpg

Like this Persian sculpture? Because I've never seen such thing from India.

Here are images of females from the

mauryan_sunga_Donor_figure_Bharut.gif

mauryan_sunga_Yakshi_baranmara.gif

Mauryan-Sunga period. High class women.

satavahana_village_woman.gif

satavahana_court_attendant.gif

satavahana_attendants.gif

satavahana_woman.gif

Satavahana period

Lower class and court women.

Edited by lilstewie

You mean too fantasy?

Did Indian women ever had bras back then? Bet that was wonderful times.

Sighvatr, yes, before british invading times India is known as Golden sparrow.

In this sculpture (original from BC time) u can see crown(head), neckless (neck), rings (ears), big rings (wrist), golden belt(waist), round shape rings (not know english word) in foot. This is the dress up of Indian women at that time, and neckless, rings in ear and hand also common in this days. Mostly prefer Gold (who can afford)

2232889251_158215669f_z.jpg?zz=1

^^^

This is a later evolution.

72041_farah.jpg

^^^

Too medieval. What is that plate armor? As far as armor goes in ancient India. I believe it's plate armor. And that was not so common.

yeah i think Game desginer wants to make character look cooler. lols farah is using scale armor. and other thing history says that chandragupta learn many things from Alexendera. He uses the women for fight, He definately uses some armour for females

Still scale armor will be better to prefer.

I don't think they should take a lot of things from the Kushans for the Mauryans. It makes sense getting an idea from the Sungas, Satavahana, etc.

Kushans are too much of a blend of things from Central Asia, India, Persia, Greeks, etc.

Btw, if you want a good source, You should look at Chanakya's Arthashastra.

Chanakya was the priest who lead Chandragupta to over throw the Nandas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthashastra

It'll be a good source. It does talk about armor and stuff in there, but it's mostly about economic policies and how to upkeep an empire.

Sorry if this was posted before.

Edited by lilstewie

I don't think they should take a lot of things from the Kushans for the Mauryans. It makes sense getting an idea from the Sungas, Satavahana, etc.

Kushans are too much of a blend of things from Central Asia, India, Persia, Greeks, etc.

even the old structures also look similar. Chandragupta was who mad the first naval army and they trade alot with foreign countries.

Rajesh Rao try to decipher the indus script ( this is not related mauryans):::

Btw, if you want a good source, You should look at Chanakya's Arthashastra.

Chanakya was the priest who lead Chandragupta to over throw the Nandas.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Arthashastra

It'll be a good source. It does talk about armor and stuff in there, but it's mostly about economic policies and how to upkeep an empire.

Sorry if this was posted before.

i will definately look at this. thanks.

Another successor of the Mauryans. The Kalingas.

The Kalingas under Emperor Kharavela made a short comeback after the Mauryan empire dissolved. After Kharavela died, the empire dissolved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharavela

The Kalingas took much of India. They even came very close to battling the Indo-Greeks, and fought many of the Mauryans successors like Saravahana.

http://www.herenow4u...ex.php?id=76893

Udayagiri_04.jpg

Bas relief at Udayagiri cave.

Udayagiri_008.jpg

battle scene, Rani Gumpha

The style of clothing is similar to the other Mauryan successors.(Sunga, Saravahana, etc)

Edited by lilstewie

• Fishing Boat: Fisherman is called a "Machuara" in Hindi and "Matsyapalak" in Sanskrit
    • Merchant Ship: "Vanijyik Nauka" is the literal translation.

629px-Indian_ship_on_lead_coin_of_Vashishtiputra_Shri_Pulumavi.jpg

satavana+coin.jpg

Coinage from the Satavahana empire(one of the successors of the Mauryans).

A double masted ship.

http://tech.groups.y...gy/message/3343

^^^^^^^^^^^^

smaller boat

TerracotaPlaque.jpg

4.+Stupa+1+Northern+Toran+Jataka+Tales+-+Vasantara+and+his+selfless+generosity.jpg

5.+Stupa+1+Northern+Toran+Evil+Mara+tries+to+end+buddha%2527s++penance.jpg

3.+Stupa+1+Northern+Toran.+Monkey+giving+Buddha+Honey.JPG

7.5+Stupa+1+Eastern+toran+The+great+departure.JPG

10.+Stupa+1+Eastern+Toran+-+Buddha%2527s+birth.JPG

9.+Stupa+1+Eastern+Toran-Kashyapas+conversion.JPG

8.+Stupa+1+Eastern+Toran.+Buddha+walking+on+water.JPG

14.+Stupa+1+Southern+Gateway+-+Ashoka+and+Indra.JPG

14.5+Stupa+1+Western+Toran+-+First+Sermon+at+Sarnath.jpg

17.+Stupa+1+Western+Gateway+Story+of+Sama.JPG

Sanchi_stupa_detail.jpg

6103323989_58d3de7578_b.jpg

1.1294600981.1_gateway-carvings.jpg

stoopaworship_sm.jpg

Guardstone.jpg

396480589_7ec1c6f02e_b.jpg

Encyclopedia-Britannica-Volume-12-Part-1-Hydrozoa-Jeremy_Picture57.jpg

^^^ Above is an amazing find. Thank you to the member for sharing thst link with this image. This image shows a siege/battle scene in Indian antiquity(top right). This is incredibly rare thing to find. Sense must depictions are 97% of the time religious in nature. And not a lot survives. You see a lot of the infrastructure, like the towers, gate, etc.

SanchiGate2.jpg

Edited by lilstewie

sansre1ma.jpg

Bronze scale. Ajanta Cave.

019PHO000001003U01494000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01479000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01481000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01487000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01484000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01488000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01501000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01498000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01483000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01490000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01495000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01486000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01502000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01477000[sVC2].jpg\

019PHO000001003U01496000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01503000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01500000[sVC2].jpg

019PHO000001003U01493000[sVC2].jpg

bjtk059a.jpg

bjtk058c.jpg

Sunga period. Various buildings and building styles can be seen in these carvings.

http://www.europeana...C5.html?start=4

GreekKing%28Drawing%29.jpg

Supposedly this is a Indianized Buddhist Greek warrior.

E3.jpg

Image of a medieval Indian elephant used as a siege weapon

Kshatriya
  • Type: Heavy Infantry
  • Primary Weapon: Long Sword (Scimitar)
  • Secondary Weapon: Compound Bow
  • Comments: Means "warrior class.

Hey guys, please don't give any soldiers scimitars, or Talwar.

• Fishing Boat: Fisherman is called a "Machuara" in Hindi and "Matsyapalak" in Sanskrit
    • Merchant Ship: "Vanijyik Nauka" is the literal translation.

629px-Indian_ship_on_lead_coin_of_Vashishtiputra_Shri_Pulumavi.jpg

satavana+coin.jpg

Coinage from the Satavahana empire(one of the successors of the Mauryans).

A double masted ship.

http://tech.groups.y...gy/message/3343

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know this example above doesn't have too much detail other than the fact it's a two masted sailing ship.

But this 9th century Indonesian carving of a two masted ship may be of some interest. As you may or may not know. South East Asia back then was heavily influenced by Indian art, architecture, etc, etc. It very well could be a depiction of Indian traders, who historical have been trading with that part of the world for 1000s of years.

20091218262506202.jpg

6270337414_84c1a55ba3_b.jpg

source: http://www.frontline...18262506200.htm

http://johnlbradfield.com/history/gold-in-south-africa-and-the-ancient-indian-connection/

Edited by lilstewie

Image of a

Supposedly this is a Indianized Buddhist Greek warrior.

As i know buddhist never fight, yes the learn Martial art from kerala but they learn for defence we cant call buddhist as a fighter.

Image of a medieval Indian elephant used as a siege weapon.

yes in ancient time they are used for everything, The elephant is selected according elphant skill. Today in elphant also used for trading also.

Hey guys, please don't give any soldiers scimitars, or Talwar.

Talwar (i am not sure whether it is a sanskrit, hindu or urdu word), why don't give the scimitar or talwar to the solider?

"As for as i know sword and archer is the most prominent weapon I could be wrong"

Talwar (i am not sure whether it is a sanskrit, hindu or urdu word), why don't give the scimitar or talwar to the solider?

Because the Talwar was more widespread in the post Islamic invasion of India. It's just heavier than the curved swords from the Middle East. I've heard all of the curved swords like the scimitar, kilij, scimitar, etc came about after the Mongol invasion.

You won't find anything like the scimitar in India, Persia, Arabia, or Anatolia at this time.

As i know buddhist never fight, yes the learn Martial art from kerala but they learn for defence we cant call buddhist as a fighter.

Nothing is set in stone. All religions fight eventually when they're pushed.

Look at those Buddhist in Burma fighting now. Or the Buddhists in Sri Lanka in the civil war.

If i am right this pixs are of maghda (original photo of Mauryan palace), it will be the best reference for palace architect.

No, but it gives an idea of how the architecture would've been like. The palaces wouldn't be cut from a cliff and would've been huge..

The rock cut ruins survived after 2000+ years, while the wooden, etc. architecture didn't.

Edited by lilstewie

Now their is blur in words of urdu, hindi, punjabi.. xd, But all this words mostly come from sanskrit. Here we people use "talwar" for ever sword(long, short, curved two sided any type of).

Sword = khadg (sanskrit name 'most commonly used in sanskrit books'), khanda( don't know why wikipedia use this word)

And wikipedia pronunce it like "khadga", "kashetra" don't know why they adding 'a' in last. Actualy this words are pronunce khadg, kshetr

Rajput_Khanda.jpg

talwar-sword.jpg

@Rahul

The Khanda is the pre-Talwar sword of India.

ph-0.jpg

But the hilt with the hand guard would need to be replaced for this era. I dont think you can see the hilt in the game anyways.

GreekKing%28Drawing%29.jpg

mauryan_sunga_warrior_bharut.gif

041216010012_double_edged_sword.jpg

Question: Would any of these reliefs have been painted? (like the Greeks and Romans painted their sculpture)

I haven't seen any surviving painted relief from India or from the carvings in Indianized kingdoms in South East Asia.

I don't know for sure.

Edited by lilstewie