Crowd-sourced Civ: Mauryan Indians

Mythos_Ruler

Based on this site, http://spokensanskrit.de/, which was has been mentioned before in this thread, the best translation I can find, transliteration in parenthesis, for Worker Elephant is Karmakara Gaja (karmakara gaja) and for Elephant Stable is Varanazala (vAraNazAlA) (I am not sure if the next to last character is an capital i or a lowercase l). Someone else should be able to come up with a better translation with these as a starting point.

Thanks, I have added these names for now, unless we find something better. (y)

Ah, I knew there was more to using that translator than meets to eye, here are slightly better translations with diacritics, Worker Elephant is Karmākara Gaja and Elephant Stable is Vāraṇaśālā. No wonder my previous translations were wierd.

Edited by Zeta1127

I don't know the Greek word for battering ram, and I don't have Trac permissions to delete this page. :)

Poliorki̱tikós Kriós is the best translation I can find for battering ram in Greek.

I don't know what the best choice for Edict Pillar of Ashoka would be, but I think Pillar of Ashoka may be a better choice for the generic name. Also, there are a lot of options for both edict and pillar, but whatever translation used will most likely contain Aśokā, since that is indeed the correct translation of Ashoka in Sanskrit.

Edited by Zeta1127

I'd actually like to have it redirect.

This is unfortunately impossible without installing a plugin for trac. Someone opened a trac ticket a while back which I found on a web search when writing the previous reply ;). Putting up a big notice (even deleting the content if you really want to) should do well enough though.

Based on the previously mentioned site, http://spokensanskrit.de/, the best translation I can find for Edict Pillar of Ashoka to Sanskrit is Śāsana Stambha Aśokā. Apparently, there isn't a specific translation for the word "of" in Sanskrit, and I can't find a translation with "of" in context with pillar or Ashoka.

Edited by Zeta1127

Here is a picture of a corral I've been working on:

screenshot0002.png

The textures on the building are a serious work in progress, I can make them look a lot better if this were to be used.

A good start. Perhaps some kind of wall/railing or something along the back and sides of the superstructure and then a wooden gate in the front of it. Then the rest of the fence should be a little more irregular.

split_rail_fence-506x345-485x328.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Try to match the skin color of the existing temp Mauryan unit textures. And maybe some "cloth" folds and such in the fabric. Other than that, looking nice.

Edit: The back of the neck (shirt collar, necklace) should drop deeper than that.

Last Edit: Unit textures are 256x256. No bigger. I can't tell you how much 512x512 is overkill.

Don't speak too soon. I've only got a few days of no responsibilities here.

Well, you were gone, now you're here. Isn't that enough for a welcome back? ;) Plus, everything done is something done, whether it's a lot or a little (at least as long as it's good quality so it won't have to be redone, but your stuff is good.)

I'm giving the Mauryan docks a shot. I'll post concepts soon. Any architectural references would help. Kind of blind without those (in terms of historical accuracy).

I think we should wait for Eggbird to finish the CC and struct texture which the dock will use before starting any other building models.

"Lothal Dock" first dock of world : it's a prominent dock in indus valley civilization. .It was a vital and thriving trade centre in ancient times, Mauryans were the first attested attempt to organize a navy in India and used to send massive diplomatic missions to Greece, Syria, Egypt, Cyrene, Macedonia and Epirus

Lothal_dock.jpg

this is latest picture and it destroyed. Now this dock is come under in indian monument preservation, not used this days.

For architect reference "in paragraph: dock and warehouse" = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothal

and other thing I have'nt found any photo of old India docks don't use woods like foreign country, but they are made of stone stairs and big ships stops beside the dock.

I was using those as a reference :)

Stone steps like the ones found Varanasi could also work.

I think we should wait for Eggbird to finish the CC and struct texture which the dock will use before starting any other building models.

I'm just doing basic concepts. I have no intention to UV wrap or fine tune :P