Traders give too many resources

fabio

Building a couple of market and sending 10 traders between them for every resource type, gives you a huge amount of resources with very little effort compared to collecting natural resources. Maybe it could be tweaked (less resource for every trader, or, better, supporting a limited amount of traders for every resource so that you should use a higher market distance to get more resource (since it depends on distance) which is more difficult since traders have higher chance of being killed)?

Edited by fabio

Building a couple of market and sending 10 traders between them for every resource type, gives you a huge amount of resources with very little effort compared to collecting natural resources. Maybe it could be tweaked (less resource for every trader, or, better, supporting a limited amount of traders for every resource so that you should use a higher market distance to get more resource (since it depends on distance) which is more difficult since traders have higher chance of being killed)?

I think it would be good to balance resource gain from markets, I agree.

But please don't add more limitations! Use balancing, not limitations (like already are in/planned for fortresses and heroes). It's much more realistic and leave space for player decisions. If many stuff is overpowered and limited everybody will (have to) build them and the variety of play styles decrease...

A simple system would be to have markets resources slowly rise, and every trader would take from that stockpile. So if you have 10 traders, the first 3 would get resources, and the next 7 would not because the market has not replenished.

I see. The Market replenishes its resource stockpile over time (commerce and whatnot), and Traders take from this available stockpile. Interesting. Would be even more interesting if this was a global stockpile or something, similar to how resource bartering effects all markets on the map.

I see. The Market replenishes its resource stockpile over time (commerce and whatnot), and Traders take from this available stockpile. Interesting. Would be even more interesting if this was a global stockpile or something, similar to how resource bartering effects all markets on the map.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I think it's both the most realistic and the easiest way to institute a limitation on the number of workers.

But you could still building a lot of markets...

Yeah, but that would cost a lot ;)

I think part of what will have to be remembered is that as it is now at least the AIs don't specifically target the traders, and probably not too many human players either. If you can keep all your traders going the scenario is a lot different from one where half of them are killed and needs to be replaced. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be balanced, just that you shouldn't spend too much time on the balancing before all features are implemented/there's been enough play time to actually have a good opinion on these things. :)

Not if the resources available are in a global pool. There would be no extra benefit for building a bunch of markets.

Apart from added security if one place gets attacked. But wouldn't the added distance make it worthwile as well? Since traveling distance gives more resources? Maybe I'm not getting the concept fully.

Apart from added security if one place gets attacked. But wouldn't the added distance make it worthwile as well? Since traveling distance gives more resources? Maybe I'm not getting the concept fully.

I'm guessing the traders would still get more resources for longer distances, but if you're trading more resources than can be generated by the global economy, then eventually the amount of traded goods per trip will start to go down. Maybe the global economy can replenish the resources faster for each Market built.

I'm guessing the traders would still get more resources for longer distances, but if you're trading more resources than can be generated by the global economy, then eventually the amount of traded goods per trip will start to go down. Maybe the global economy can replenish the resources faster for each Market built.

Then the player with enough resource can build many markets close to each other (to regenerate resources faster) and build one market very far away and send all traders to that market (for higher profit) and so bypassed the resource pool mechanism, sound likes an exploitation to me. :)

Also, will the market's resource pool directly connect to the player's main stockpile? If so, how much the markets will acquire?

Then the player with enough resource can build many markets close to each other (to regenerate resources faster) and build one market very far away and send all traders to that market (for higher profit) and so bypassed the resource pool mechanism, sound likes an exploitation to me. :)

If the resource pool is global, then by building more Markets you are also increasing the pool available to your foes. :)