The Alpha 10 Preview-Thread

So here's something concerning Iberians.

Iberians will have defensive structures in all random maps and most scenarios as their civilization bonus:

Oasis 10 (Scenario):

Iber%20-%20Oasis%20X.jpg

Acropolis 2 (Scenario):

Iber%20-%20Acropolis%202.jpg

Anatolian Plateau (Random Map):

Iber%20-%20Anatolian%20Plateau.jpg

Cantabrian Highlands (Random Map):

Iber%20-%20Cantabrian%20Highlands.jpg

Edited by FeXoR

Expect it within 2 weeks, perhaps 1.

Apart from the many bugfixings, Alpha 10 features, as you said, neater walls, technologies, but also healing and AI improvement. And many many bugfixing.

that's nice didn't know it would be so soon will the AI be revised to fit in with the new techs and wall building healing. such as the Jubot and Qbot?

Edited by Veridagorin

that's nice didn't know it would be so soon will the AI be revised to fit in with the new techs and wall building healing. such as the Jubot and Qbot?

No the AI will not use technologies for Alpha 10. This means it can create advanced units and buildings faster but doesn't get the benefit of technologies giving better attack and gathering rates.

so other than walls and technologies what are you going to include in alpha 10 and when is the expected time for its release?

The release day is planned to be 1 week after feature freeze and that was 5 days ago, so you can expect it to come out in 2 days ;)

I finally won on the new default map on current SVN :sword_rune: . I reported a couple of bugs yesterday that got fixed, and while playing this map I encountered one last problem (ticket 1406). I can say that the game is now much more enjoyable with phases, technologies and the wall system, I also really appreciate the new hardware cursor on Linux (no more mouse lag) :yes3: . Alpha 10 looks one of the releases with many new nice features.

The last (know) issue is performance: it starts at 20 FPS, it decrease and after awhile it stabilise to 3 FPS (a bit painful to play), but this will eventually be addressed with the new pathfinding.

Amazing job guys! looks awesome and i can't wait to play. Didn't even have a clue you were making 3 new Greek Civs, Awesome! how long till i can devour the new features?

Edited by Sef

i see you guys decided to not go with "Jericho" even though the walls are fully functional :(

The reason for this will be made plain in the release announcement.

Amazing job guys! looks awesome and i can't wait to play. Didn't even have a clue you were making 3 new Greek Civs, Awesome! how long till i can devour the new features?

A couple days. Soon you shall conquer.

People you are doing such an axesome job and I believe it, an oustanding performance for the free software world since my first installation of GNU back 13 years ago ! Looking forward to download Alpha 10 maybe tomorrow or in the next days, take your time good guys :)

How soon will we be able to see the other songs during gameplay? Was the issue of music dying after one game fixed?

Being worked on, might be in Alpha 11.

Here is hoping that games do not lag nearly as much as it did before.

The lag will be about the same in this release. I'm really hoping that pathfinder optimizations will happen soon after the new pathfinder is finished.

Hmmm, I actually think Alpha 10 will be slightly less laggy. That's been my experience so far, anyway. There have been lots of little AI improvements on that score.

sounds nice... i am very optimistic concerning performance-optimizations for the upcoming alphas!

will there be sound for OS X?

would be too nice,

good work Omri!

(i am a professional musician, too...)

Hmmm, I actually think Alpha 10 will be slightly less laggy. That's been my experience so far, anyway. There have been lots of little AI improvements on that score.

I'd agree with this. qBot has been optimized for Alpha 10 and this helps reduce the lag somewhat.

will there be sound for OS X?

would be too nice,

good work Omri!

(i am a professional musician, too...)

Unfortunately Alpha 10 will not have sound for OS X, although a new Sound Manager is being developed so I'm hopeful for Alpha 11.

And i agree, Omri's music is fantastic :D