Why does Q-bot give up quickly?

Tutle

It seems that if it cannot harvest items near your civilian center, it will immediately give up on attacking. Sometimes it will harvest on it's own territory, but that is rare.

I felt so bad I even purposely exposed my fortress to tease it into attack, and still nothing (has woman gather in random spot while soldiers are standing near civilian center).

but qbot can continue making fields and harvesting right ? whats preventing that from happening ?

At some point it decides to not make fields near its town center anymore. Now why would that be ?

Edited by madmax

but qbot can continue making fields and harvesting right ? whats preventing that from happening ?

At some point it decides to not make fields near its town center anymore. Now why would that be ?

Rare. And usually when it does, it send the civilians far away to harvest.

Q-bot weakness:

Harvest everything that is far away from it's Civilian Center.

If you prevent it from doing so, it will either attack you or give up (gather units in random places).

Edited by Tutle

So is there some particular line in the script which tells qbot to harvest far from the civ center ? I would think that after resources withing a certain radius is exhausted, it will start with fields near the civ center and send out only very few citizens to gather stuff far away.

Maybe the fact that most of the villagers are now beyond a certain distance from the village, can be detected. Then 70% of them can be recalled back to work on a field close to the civ center ?

Even better when the citizens are unable to find food for the 1st time, then start making fields. I ll get cracking on the qbot script.

-------------

so as regards trade, is the restriction of the ai being unable to make markets due to a restriction in the ai API or something absent in the qbot script ?

Edited by madmax

Whatever you did, seems to work really well :) qBot is definitely better organized now. I notice there were some "No stone found" warnings early in the game which was clearly wrong, qBot clearly had access to stone mines in its base. Also the siege is much more effective now due to preferred attack classes.

• Like 1

But yeah, the resource gathering improvements cut down on some of the slowdowns, so that is nice.

Yes I didnt see any slow downs playing with oasis too. I could not beat qbot either as it kept sending wave after wave. So it did not give up quickly and was somehow managing to find food. Played for an hour yesterday and will continue the game today though I think qbot is trying to wear me down now.

Edited by madmax

I've also noticed games against the latest qBot run smoother and are much more of a challenge, especially compared to qBot from Alpha 9. A few days ago I was surprised when I found a large enemy army in the middle of my base while I was busy building an expansion on the other side of the map :)

The main economic boost is due to me running a test match vs the latest Marilyn and finding that qBot's economy was not strong enough. So this gave me some nice "inspiration" (or copying), so thanks to Wraitii. The main change was building farms only when other food sources had run out (plus as a side effect I fixed some bugs which affected finding the closest resource to a dropsite, this also improved performance a little).

• Like 1

The best thing is that Quantumstate implemented correctly something I was too bored to implement: counting how many gatherers work an any supply. I think i'll steal that code in return ;) .

I'll have to test the new qBot, it's probably going to be a great benchmark for my new economic implementation in Marilyn.

Played a game against qBot (latest revision as of this post). It sent about 50 women to try gather from berries and killed itself by choking it's economy.

It doesn't seem to do very well without a large open place either, so maps where is starts on a hill doesn't seem to do well.