Post-processing effects test (SSAO/HDR/Bloom)

I've come across a couple of issues so far.

Firstly, in Atlas (but not in-game), the Roman Civ Centre has a large black square on the terrain around it. This square doesn't rotate when I rotate the structure, but it does scale so the structure fits inside it's bounderies. See attached image.

Secondly, 0AD crashed. It happened once in Atlas whilst looking at the temple_mars_2/rome_civil_centre, and once when playing on a random map using the Romans. I copied the error message, but I haven't been able to get it to crash again when running under gdb.

Assertion failed: "0 && (L"Can't find a usable technique")"

Call stack:

(0x81e9ea) ./pyrogenesis() [0x81e9ea]
(0x7c7a81) ./pyrogenesis() [0x7c7a81]
(0x7c875e) ./pyrogenesis() [0x7c875e]
(0x7c8a33) ./pyrogenesis() [0x7c8a33]
(0x6137cc) ./pyrogenesis() [0x6137cc]
(0x614f6d) ./pyrogenesis() [0x614f6d]
(0x6e974a) ./pyrogenesis() [0x6e974a]
(0x68a081) ./pyrogenesis() [0x68a081]
(0x6569bb) ./pyrogenesis() [0x6569bb]
(0x659da2) ./pyrogenesis() [0x659da2]
(0x65a73f) ./pyrogenesis() [0x65a73f]
(0x590771) ./pyrogenesis() [0x590771]
(0x41df63) ./pyrogenesis() [0x41df63]
(0x413a47) ./pyrogenesis() [0x413a47]
(0x7f198322076d) /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xed) [0x7f198322076d]
(0x41c575) ./pyrogenesis() [0x41c575]

errno = 0 (Try again later)
OS error = ?

post-14655-0-01622000-1344381323_thumb.p

I got a similar error on Acropolis 1 a little while into the game:

ShaderManager.cpp(474): Assertion failed: "0 && (L"Can't find a usable technique")"

Call stack:

(0x82223a) ./pyrogenesis() [0x82223a]
(0x7c78b1) ./pyrogenesis() [0x7c78b1]
(0x7c858e) ./pyrogenesis() [0x7c858e]
(0x7c8863) ./pyrogenesis() [0x7c8863]
(0x6167ec) ./pyrogenesis() [0x6167ec]
(0x617f8d) ./pyrogenesis() [0x617f8d]
(0x6ec78a) ./pyrogenesis() [0x6ec78a]
(0x6c83c1) ./pyrogenesis() [0x6c83c1]
(0x69989b) ./pyrogenesis() [0x69989b]
(0x69cc82) ./pyrogenesis() [0x69cc82]
(0x69d61f) ./pyrogenesis() [0x69d61f]
(0x596c81) ./pyrogenesis() [0x596c81]
(0x41df63) ./pyrogenesis() [0x41df63]
(0x413a47) ./pyrogenesis() [0x413a47]
(0x7f7d1417c76d) /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xed) [0x7f7d1417c76d]
(0x41c575) ./pyrogenesis() [0x41c575]

errno = 0 (Try again later)
OS error = ?

(This was with GLSL and everything on.)

Edited by zoot

Okay, it happens specifically when trying to place a Celtic "mill" (dropsite for wood etc.) It also crashes when trying to place it (structures/celt/mill.xml) in Atlas.

That might explain the second time it happened to me, if my CPU opponent built a mill. (They were set to random, so they may have ended up being the Britons or the Gauls.)

I selected "continue" in this error window to resume the game, and the mill's terrain decal hadn't loaded and 0AD was emitting a constant stream of errors for the duration of the mill's existence.

ERROR: Terrain renderer failed to load shader effect (model_transparent)

Too bumpy... :P The original was more balanced. But yeah! It's working!

Yeah, I thought the effect became rather indiscernible at a distance. (Maybe anisotropic filtering would help, but it's a performance hog.)

That might explain the second time it happened to me, if my CPU opponent built a mill. (They were set to random, so they may have ended up being the Britons or the Gauls.)

I think the object has to be in view for the crash to happen, but it is quite likely that other objects are affected too.

I've come across a couple of issues so far.

Firstly, in Atlas (but not in-game), the Roman Civ Centre has a large black square on the terrain around it. This square doesn't rotate when I rotate the structure, but it does scale so the structure fits inside it's bounderies. See attached image.

Secondly, 0AD crashed. It happened once in Atlas whilst looking at the temple_mars_2/rome_civil_centre, and once when playing on a random map using the Romans. I copied the error message, but I haven't been able to get it to crash again when running under gdb.

I had the same problem with the black square, but it disappears instantly painting anywhere on the map.

-Normal/parallax/AO displaying gorgeous.

-Triplannar mapping working perfectly.

-Windy trees looking awesome.

-Smooth LOS is very smooth xD

However, playing a match this error appeared when I tried to build the roman corral:

Call stack:

(error while dumping stack: No stack frames found)
errno = 0 (No error reported here)
OS error = 0 (no error code was set)

I clicked in continue and this line repeated constantly when displaying the corrals shadow before placing, then the error stopped until the building was completed and the model showed up.

Terrain renderer failed to load shader effect (model_transparent)

The model showed ok, but the decal was missing. Same problem in Atlas.

Sounds like a blending issue. I'll move the code back to git so I have more freedom to test things out, and I'll see what this is about.

That's definitely a decal trying to use a model shader instead of a terrain shader. The error should appear only when the problematic decal is trying to draw itself to the screen, so you can probably find out what's causing it.

I have tested both the GLSL and ARB shaders. Apart from the aforementioned corral + black square issue I have experienced no problems with the GLSL shaders (I used the regular SVN version). All the effects look good, there are no problems. Everything looks good, the LOS moves smoothly and responds well to being toggled by the developer panel option. ARB appears to work as always, I have not noticed anything odd.

Well, there is something that is odd: last week I posted some issues with flickering, probably related to normals and my macbook's drivers. I have really tried to trigger this flickering with the current GLSL code, but I guess I have to accept it is gone :D

Now, I did run into a problem when setting the renderpath to fixed (with preferglsl, gentangents, and smoothlos set to true, quality level 10). This gave a problem related to the LOS, I think. Setting smoothlos to false circumvents the problem. Maybe the smoothlos setting should be ignored if the renderpath is fixed (or there may be a fix, I don't know). A stacktrace can be found in the attachment, the crash happens right after pressing Start Game.

Let's end with positive news. Importing a height map works as advertised ;) Nice! It may be a good idea to specify in the Atlas manual page what kind of image size equates what map size. I tried a 1000x1000px image which seems bigger than the giant setting.

P.S. Perhaps the second Mars temple actor can now be removed, and its textures added to the regular Mars temple?

los_shader_error.txt