Soldiers Can Repair Structures

Tutle

Citizen Soldiers (representing the fact that some soldiers in the ancient times were both ordinary farmer/workers and soldiers) can already repair structures. Champion Units (representing professional soldiers who fought for a living and didn't work in any other way) on the other hand can't. While this might not be 100% historically correct, Roman soldiers were probably some of the best builders of ancient times, or at least some of the most efficient, it serves a gameplay purpose as it makes the different units have clearer roles. If all units can do everything there's no reason to choose the one over the other ;)

And Equites? Are they difficult to train? ;)

I'd say the strength of the Roman unit roster is that they have all their bases covered simply: swordsmen kill spearmen and skirmishers, spearmen kill cavalry, their skirmishers kill spearmen and elephants and chariots, and they have a melee cav available from the beginning of the match that can take care of ranged units.

And Equites? Are they difficult to train? ;)

I'd say the strength of the Roman unit roster is that they have all their bases covered simply: swordsmen kill spearmen and skirmishers, spearmen kill cavalry, their skirmishers kill spearmen and elephants and chariots, and they have a melee cav available from the beginning of the match that can take care of ranged units.

I'm a bit confused. I thought ranged units should be able to run out melee units due to the lighter armor like said e.g. in this post. Perhaps you mean melee cavalry to chase down ranged food units but what about ranged mounted units?

I'm a bit confused. I thought ranged units should be able to run out melee units due to the lighter armor like said e.g. in this post. Perhaps you mean melee cavalry to chase down ranged food units but what about ranged mounted units?

I'm pretty sure he means ranged infantry units yeah :) Not sure how good Romans should be against ranged mounted units, the little history I know seems to indicate that's where they had there biggest weakness :unsure:

I'm pretty sure he means ranged infantry units yeah :) Not sure how good Romans should be against ranged mounted units, the little history I know seems to indicate that's where they had there biggest weakness :unsure:

Well, than it makes sense. Huns and Mongols where quite capable of rampaging through the roman empire with massive amounts of mounted ranged units ;)

Yes, the Romans were mauled badly when it come down to dealing with mobile, light ranged cavalry. The Huns proved that :sly:

Citizen Soldiers (representing the fact that some soldiers in the ancient times were both ordinary farmer/workers and soldiers) can already repair structures. Champion Units (representing professional soldiers who fought for a living and didn't work in any other way) on the other hand can't. While this might not be 100% historically correct, Roman soldiers were probably some of the best builders of ancient times, or at least some of the most efficient, it serves a gameplay purpose as it makes the different units have clearer roles. If all units can do everything there's no reason to choose the one over the other ;)

No I mean just repair. My problem is that champion units tend to die to fast to contribute back their cost. At least citizen soldiers can construct and repair their garrison, and heroes can tank a lot of damage (great for siege/garrison protection).

It would be nice if champion units could also repair buildings (only) to make up for their low health. If I was a champion unit without work, and someone offered me money to repair their house, I would gladly do so (would still be considered realistic).

Edited by Tutle

Hmm, that would be fixing one issue by doing something completely different rather than fixing the main issue =) I'd say it's better in that case to increase the health of the Champion units, though with healers (included in Alpha 10) I doubt that's necessary, at least there should be some more testing before making too radical changes :) There are also techs which boosts the stats of Champion units, I don't remember which stat it is they increase, but either way that improves them, which also makes it less relevant to add another ability to them.