Suggestion Floods

oshron

I personally much prefer lots of different threads. A 90 page thread is a terrible organizational structure. Of course replacing one giant thread with 50 variants of "my suggestions" doesn't help anyone either. I would favor a suggestions sub forum with threads being about one idea e.g. "Town Bell", "Farm Reseeding".

• Like 4

I personally much prefer lots of different threads. A 90 page thread is a terrible organizational structure. Of course replacing one giant thread with 50 variants of "my suggestions" doesn't help anyone either. I would favor a suggestions sub forum with threads being about one idea e.g. "Town Bell", "Farm Reseeding".

+1

Can't think a better way to organize suggestions :)

Yeah, a suggestion sub forum would be the way to go. It would also help if there was a bit more moderation in it, to enforce descriptive thread titles. (eg when someone makes a thread "Great Game, just one idea" or whatever, a mod would re-title it.)

It's doubtful people would actually use it. ;)

I wouldn't doubt it. Seeing that most suggestions come from "experienced" (for the lack of a better word) community members, it could work. Only newcomers would flood the forums most likely. Also as quantumstate mentioned above, the suggestions page is a bit unorganized. Its sucks digging through 90-ish pages, if ya know what I mean :)

While we are at it, I think other forums could use a change too. Personally I think Introduction and Off-Topic should be separated into 2 different forums, the same goes to General Discussion and Ideas, they could be separated into 2 forums/sub forums, also remove the Feedback from Help and combine it with General Discussion.

My forums theme:

- Announcements/News (Latest news and blog)

- Introduction (Introduce yourself and say Hi to people)

- Help (Questions about the game, strategies, tips and tricks)

- General Discussion (Discuss the game here)

- Ideas (Got some great ideas? Post them here!)

- Development and Technical Discussion (The name says it all)

Subs: Applications and contributions and Bug reports

- Game Modification (For modders)

- Off-Topic

Edited by hhyloc
  • Like 1

While we are at it, I think other forums could use a change too. Personally I think Introduction and Off-Topic should be separated into 2 different forums, the same goes to General Discussion and Ideas, they could be separated into 2 forums/sub forums, also remove the Feedback from Help and combine it with General Discussion.

My forums theme:

- Announcements/News (Latest news and blog)

- Introduction (Introduce yourself and say Hi to people)

- Help (Questions about the game, strategies, tips and tricks)

- General Discussion (Discuss the game here)

- Ideas (Got some great ideas? Post them here!)

- Development and Technical Discussion (The name says it all)

Subs: Applications and contributions and Bug reports

- Game Modification (For modders)

- Off-Topic

+1 Very easy to know where to place your thread.

How about making one page of idea list that already accepted and not accepted, so people have to read them first before giving new ideas? :shrug:

Contributors can focus in creating new features rather than developing same features just because they didnt know if the idea is already accepted?

How about making one page of idea list that already accepted and not accepted, so people have to read them first before giving new ideas? :shrug:

Contributors can focus in creating new features rather than developing same features just because they didnt know if the idea is already accepted?

Well, people can already search the forums to see if it's been suggested already. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that I'm not sure it's going to make such a difference that it's worth spending time on (especially since it's not just whether or not features are to be included, but also if they've already been suggested, that's relevant).

Was I the only one thinking when I saw this thread: floods ingame would be cool? I mean: adjustable water level ingame?

I thought the exact same thing :) I remember in AOK you could use triggers to simulate floods (can't remember what it was, perhaps something to do with bridge objects producing water?)

I could see a river or tide moving up and down.... but actual "floods" during a standard scenario or random map would be aggravating.

will there be a feature in the map maker to be able to make natural disasters like floods volcanoes earthquakes forest fires etc.

I think it being easy to implement these things in a scenerio for a campaign will make things campaigns a lot more interesting.

could you make it possible to dam up a river against the tide so that when you destroy the dam it floods the map with a destructive flood?

edit: i'm just flooding this topic with suggestions what about adding suicide soldiers similar to the AoK petard being avalable in the map editor.

Edited by Veridagorin

could you make it possible to dam up a river against the tide so that when you destroy the dam it floods the map with a destructive flood?

That is very unlikely for part one at least, as that would require separate water levels, which would be a lot of work to get working right, and which iirc would mean a significant performance hit as water rendering is one of the more expensive and having two or more water planes/levels would mean that it would have to be computed twice/more. + There would be need to display the moving flood somehow + track its flow to destroy things only where it reaches, and when it reaches them.

That is very unlikely for part one at least, as that would require separate water levels, which would be a lot of work to get working right, and which iirc would mean a significant performance hit as water rendering is one of the more expensive and having two or more water planes/levels would mean that it would have to be computed twice/more. + There would be need to display the moving flood somehow + track its flow to destroy things only where it reaches, and when it reaches them.

i thought that it would get shot down but still who knows it could of been possible...;)

A bit offtopic: Maybe natural disasters (and other types of event) could be done with a scripting language? Lua IMHO is best suited for this task, or we can even devise our own scripting language for 0 AD. I'm not a developer so I can't delve much into this however.

A bit offtopic: Maybe natural disasters (and other types of event) could be done with a scripting language? Lua IMHO is best suited for this task, or we can even devise our own scripting language for 0 AD. I'm not a developer so I can't delve much into this however.

It's probably easiest to do any kind of 0 A.D. related scripting in JavaScript as that is the current scripting language used :)

It's probably easiest to do any kind of 0 A.D. related scripting in JavaScript as that is the current scripting language used :)

I think lua is used already in the build environment but I agree to stick with one language in the "binaries" (JavaScript). In general I prefer Python :man_in_love:

I think lua is used already in the build environment but I agree to stick with one language in the "binaries" (JavaScript). In general I prefer Python :man_in_love:

Okay, whatever you (the coders) think is best suited for scripting in 0 A.D. I'll agree wholeheartedly :)