More game suggestions...

ardvark71

Hi all...

I just discovered 0 A.D. a few days ago and am highly impressed with it, particularly with the fact that such a high quality RTS is open source. The artistry is absolutely stunning! :banana:

I noticed on the website that the idea for this game started (or had its roots) with a mod for Microsoft's Age of Empires II: Age of Kings although in my opinion 0 A.D.'s "look and feel" reminds me more of

After playing a few games, here is what I would like to suggest for a future release...

1. I would like to see Israel added as a civilization. During the reign of King David especially, Israel was a force to be reckoned with as God led him and the Israelite army to victory in many battles and the nation's territory was enlarged. I'm not sure if Israel had any soldiers that would qualify as "unique" for the game's purposes but during King Saul, David and Soloman's reign, various sorts of weapons became more common: swords, spears, slingers, bows, maces and chariots. Please see here as a reference.

2. The European Wars expansion pack for Cossacks had a nice little feature that helped me a lot: "Peace Time." If you chose this option, you could choose increments of time (up to one hour, if I remember correctly,) that the computer would not attack you. If it did, it would lose that unit. Likewise, if you attacked during that time, your unit was automatically destroyed. Is there any way of including this feature in 0 A.D.?

3. For older systems, an option to cap each side's population to a specific limit. Age of Empires II had this option, 75 and 200 were the ones I remember.

In connection with number #3, I have noticed at times (not every game,) that as the game progressed, it became extremely slow and choppy and almost impossible to play. Starting out, it worked just fine. I'm running Ubuntu Linux 10.04 on a HP Pavilion dv9830us (4 GB's of memory, Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS 512 MB graphics.) It has the specs needed to run the game. :shrug:

Otherwise, 0 A.D. has been fun to play, seeing the different types of architecture has definitely been a bonus. B)

Regards...

Edited by ardvark71

Welcome to the 0ad community :cheers:

2. The European wars expansion pack for Cossacks had a nice little feature that helped me a lot: "Peace Time." If you chose this option, you could choose increments of time (up to one hour, if I remember correctly,) that the computer would not attack you. If it did, it would lose that unit. Likewise, if you attacked during that time, your unit was automatically destroyed. Is there any way of including this feature in 0 A.D.?

I like the idea of a peace time. Not sure if it should be a standard option but some maps could have it. One hour seams long to me but that's details ;)

I didn't like Cossacks though... Played it a weekend and noticed that pumping arches is the best way to go. Extremely cheep and can attack buildings... Siege weapons that could be captured together with units (mostly) unable to attack buildings and a unit AI chasing units instead of attacking targets in range made the chaos perfect. Hot discussed issues in 0ad as well ;)

Edited by FeXoR

The European wars expansion pack for Cossacks had a nice little feature that helped me a lot: "Peace Time." If you chose this option, you could choose increments of time (up to one hour, if I remember correctly,) that the computer would not attack you. If it did, it would lose that unit. Likewise, if you attacked during that time, your unit was automatically destroyed. Is there any way of including this feature in 0 A.D.?

Something like that is planned indeed. One side to it is as an initial ceasefire period that can be set in the pre-game setup during which time no one can attack, or at least is punished for it, we'll have to see exactly how we implement it in the end. But most probably is either to make it impossible for units to enter enemy territory during this initial period, or have them lose health if they do, one of those two. Another is to include a ceasefire option among the diplomacy options, in other words, among the things you will be able to negotiate with your enemy about is to set a ceasefire period, during which you cannot attack each other. In this case it's probably more likely to incur some kind of punishment if broken though as it would be a nice feature to be able to set different kind of access permissions in diplomacy (i.e. so you could make an agreement with your enemy that your trade units can enter each others territories, etc).

Welcome to the 0ad community :cheers:

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I like the idea of a peace time. Not sure if it should be a standard option but some maps could have it. One hour seams long to me but that's details ;)

I got the name wrong, the expansion pack was called "Art of War." One of the new units you could build was the "18th Century Ship of the Line," a huge, expensive ship that was devastating in combat. Peace time allowed me to build about five of those and I would position them right next to the enemy's town with orders not to fire. The very second peace time had expired, I would lift the order and all five ships would begin to fire on the town at once. I instructed the other ships to focus on the enemy's vessels and docks. Let's just say the game didn't last that long... :P

Regards...

Something like that is planned indeed. One side to it is as an initial ceasefire period that can be set in the pre-game setup during which time no one can attack, or at least is punished for it, we'll have to see exactly how we implement it in the end. But most probably is either to make it impossible for units to enter enemy territory during this initial period, or have them lose health if they do, one of those two. Another is to include a ceasefire option among the diplomacy options, in other words, among the things you will be able to negotiate with your enemy about is to set a ceasefire period, during which you cannot attack each other. In this case it's probably more likely to incur some kind of punishment if broken though as it would be a nice feature to be able to set different kind of access permissions in diplomacy (i.e. so you could make an agreement with your enemy that your trade units can enter each others territories, etc).

Hi...

Thank you, I'm glad to hear this. I think both ideas would work well. B)

Regards...

Hi...

A couple of additional suggestions...

1. The tigers look pretty strange all orange. Perhaps some additional artwork could go into making these guys look more realistic. ;)

2. I add my agreement with those wanting a "town bell" feature that once clicked, the female villagers would gather inside unoccupied town centers and towers and act as archers.

Also, to ensure that metal can be collected after the supply from the rocks is exhausted, how about an a neutral trading post in some of the maps that no side can attack and/or destroy. I have also found that an ally doesn't always build a market. :(

Regards...

Edited by ardvark71

Also, to ensure that metal can be collected after the supply from the rocks is exhausted, how about an a neutral trading post in some of the maps that no side can attack and/or destroy. I have also found that an ally doesn't always build a market. :(

You can trade with your own markets or barter to get metal.

2. I add my agreement with those wanting a "town bell" feature that once clicked, the female villagers would gather inside unoccupied town centers and towers and act as archers.

Does female citizens garrisoned to a civil center/cower/fortress/siege tower increase the attack of the garrisoned structure?

Does female citizens garrisoned to a civil center/cower/fortress/siege tower increase the attack of the garrisoned structure?

Hi...

I was thinking in terms of Age of Empires II, which had both male and female villagers. Once garrisoned, they shot arrows at the attackers. Should villagers, male and female, who have no military training have the same attack that trained archers have? Realistically, no. However, having the ladies be able to garrison for safety and protection is a lot better than having them killed and having to replace them. ;)

Regards...

Edited by ardvark71

You can trade with your own markets or barter to get metal.

Hi...

Do you mean build two markets and have the trader (camel for the Persians, I've noticed, horses for others) go back and forth between the two of them?

Regards...

Edited by ardvark71

Female citizens do not increase the attack when garrisoned currently.

Thx! I thought so since I tried to fill a siege tower with them but it didn't seam to have any effect. Was not sure though.

That makes a sensible town bell function difficult though. On the one hand side you don't want to loose your females but citizen soldiers are more expensive and so less expendable.

- Most realistic would be garrison females first to secure them and let the citizen soldiers attack IMO.

- Most effective would be garrison citizen soldiers first if enemy non-siege weapons are in attack range of lets say the civil center and let the females that have no space to garrison into the building gather around it trying to avoid attacks. That way you deal full damage and loose less valuable units.

Hi all...

How interesting, I had enemy villagers build a tower for me while their soldiers killed off the one soldier I had building it at the same time. I guess they were bored! :D

Regards...

LOL! I have never had that happen before. I've had enemy villagers walk over to my base and kill my goats or gather from my farms, though.