Suggestions for more substance

General Octavian

So if a game mode that is made to last for a long period of time, I think adding more substance for that mode would be nice. I always wonder, while playing RTS games, what am i defending? There aren't civilians or anything and I find this making a game hollow. I like how in Civilization you need to keep your cities happy and this would add interesting gameplay and it would instigate more diverse buildings such as coliseums or carnivals or circus's. Also, the more houses you build the more stuff you'll need to keep your city happy thus making you expand. Also, a new set of techs could be created for happiness and that would give the game in-depth feel.

Also, a capital building available at the last phase that gives a happiness bonus and civilization bonus would be nice. This could be an upgraded Civ center, it would make sense.

Now a question, will the construction of roads be implemented?

So if a game mode that is made to last for a long period of time, I think adding more substance for that mode would be nice. I always wonder, while playing RTS games, what am i defending? There aren't civilians or anything and I find this making a game hollow. I like how in Civilization you need to keep your cities happy and this would add interesting gameplay and it would instigate more diverse buildings such as coliseums or carnivals or circus's. Also, the more houses you build the more stuff you'll need to keep your city happy thus making you expand. Also, a new set of techs could be created for happiness and that would give the game in-depth feel.

Also, a capital building available at the last phase that gives a happiness bonus and civilization bonus would be nice. This could be an upgraded Civ center, it would make sense.

The short answer is no and no. But just saying that isn't fair to you, so I'll offer a more indepth explanation as well: Generally speaking 0 A.D. is an RTS that focuses on both economy and war, that means that you get to do a bit of both, but it also means that neither side can be as indepth as in games that focus on just the one. So at least for the main game it's not likely that there will be any city-builder features added. That said, for a special game mode, perhaps created by modders, adding features like the ones you suggest definitely makes sense.

Construction of roads isn't likely for 0 A.D. part 1 at least, if nothing else because the benefit isn't likely to be big enough to make it worth spending time on for now. Features will have to be reconsidered once we start to plan for part two though, so perhaps it might be included then :)

Even if we don't get roads or that building placement system I suggested a while back, we will get that terrain flattening fix. (The buildings wont "fly" or sink.)

On the other hand, Part 2 could be a great place to introduce all those features on top of the war/economy aspects :)

And Octavian, I think campaigns will be much more eventful as they will have objectives/goals for the player.

I await the day a persistent online citybuilder/rts game comes out

But this game is not that haha it's a really good rts

An online, persistent Rome:Total War style game would be very nice. Just make the settlement management more city-builder-ish. Can make battalion management more detailed too, promoting different officers and such. Imagine an officer in your army rising through the ranks and eventually marrying into the royal family and becoming emperor/king.

The short answer is no and no. But just saying that isn't fair to you, so I'll offer a more indepth explanation as well: Generally speaking 0 A.D. is an RTS that focuses on both economy and war, that means that you get to do a bit of both, but it also means that neither side can be as indepth as in games that focus on just the one. So at least for the main game it's not likely that there will be any city-builder features added. That said, for a special game mode, perhaps created by modders, adding features like the ones you suggest definitely makes sense.

Construction of roads isn't likely for 0 A.D. part 1 at least, if nothing else because the benefit isn't likely to be big enough to make it worth spending time on for now. Features will have to be reconsidered once we start to plan for part two though, so perhaps it might be included then :)

Creating roads reminds me on serfcity, and I agree that the benefit is not big enough. But can't there be any scenarios that players must use their units to build bridges? Or at least fix broken bridges at a predetermined location by the scenario creator. It will add the realistic feelings.

And I'm also thinking about how we can incorporate items that may support strategic approach than just building strong armies and winning.

How about ability to plant tree or berry bushes as upgrades for civilians?

Player can use it to:

• sacrificing small amount of timber to create tree as timber source, or sacrificing food to create berry bushes as food source
  • use as strategy to block enemy path by creating a forest, enemy can breakthrough by cutting them down or using siege weapons.

How about ability to turn palisades into firewalls?

How about creating vandals / saboteurs unit that can burn buildings to 50% of its hit points?

They can burn unguarded farms to disrupt food supply?

Edited by majapahit

How about ability to plant tree or berry bushes as upgrades for civilians?

Player can use it to:

sacrificing small amount of timber to create tree as timber source, or sacrificing food to create berry bushes as food source

use as strategy to block enemy path by creating a forest, enemy can breakthrough by cutting them down or using siege weapons.

New things should preferably add genuinely new things, this just seems to be a combined farm/palisade. Things which fills a combined purpose rarely is as good/useful as something that does something specific as it has to do both things, and preferably not too good as that would overpower them which would remove the reason for the features whose functionality they duplicate to exist. In other words: it sounds like something that "sounds cool, but actually doesn't add to the gameplay" imho :)

A Roman spy would be a speculator. In Latin class we're translating Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars and it was on the vocabulary list :)

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam, qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur... ;)

General Octavian, have you ever played Stronghold? Its what you have described to a tee, and is a why different game than Age of Empires or 0AD

Edited by BookishOwl

• 2 weeks later...