Suggestion: Boat Patrol

Tutle

Idea: I remember this mechanic from Real War (good game when it didn't crash every time). Basically, ships would just patrol a certain area, and attack if they saw an enemy nearby.

Line Patrol:

(Recommended for maps with rivers)

Boat travels from point A to point B and from B to A repeatedly.

-Here it would be great if players can select the points to be traveled ( like the market trader system).

Circle Patrol:

(Recommended for maps with lakes)

Boats will circle around the chosen point.

Notes:

Ocean maps will be up to the player to decide what works best.

In Real War the patrolling boats would attack whatever they spotted. In 0.A.D they could just serve as Defensive scouts.

Thoughts?

A general "Patrol" command is planned, both for boats and other units :) As for whether they will attack or not: there is a "stance" system already, which should take care of that part :)

I doubt we will have a "circle patrol" though, I'm not saying I'm against it, but it doesn't seem to me like it would add too much (apart from being a bit easier for the user to set up than to set waypoints in a circle), so the time that could be spent on it is probably better spent on other things :) And in other words: there won't be a "line system" either as just being limited to two points would be sad :) The user should be able to set as many points on the patrol as he wants to ;)

i totally agree with you. wirh out gates need patrols especially now with tech system dont let bulid any defensive system in Phase I.

Gates are likely to be implemented before patrols though =) (And unless someone has changed something without my knowledge palisades should be available from Phase 1 :) So you're not completely without the ability to build defenses in Phase 1 ;) )