SVN users

Mythos_Ruler

More work for the AIs :wacko:

Very cool, though. What's left to implement, as far as big features are concerned?

Technology restrictions aren't enforced for AI's yet. The check will be re-enabled at some point in the future so adding support for AI's will be needed. The common-api is lacking support for techs at the moment though (you can research them and view their progress in the training/production queue (this should be renamed at some point as well)) but you can't easily query to find out what has been researched or find out what effects a tech has.

Big features left are ship movement (and AI support), formations (for fighting), diplomacy, walls/gates which are a WIP and conversion/capturing units/buildings. What counts as big is fairly subjective though. Also performance could be considered a big feature, it definitely will need some work. We seem to have been making good progress recently which is nice.

If you've got the data on hand, I can upload my SVN mac version which should work as long as you put everything in the right folders (it's not in a nice package, but it works).

@Quantumstate: still, it'll have to be done at some point ;) . Indeed, very good progress has been made since the beginning of the year, the game is really coming through. It's "basically" feature complete, and has yet to be optimized, but it's extremely promising.

Edited by wraitii

the building will can show changes trough Phases?

If you mean whether or not the look of the buildings will change when you upgrade to a new phase: no. (There will be new buildings available though, so the look of your city will change of course =) )

If you mean whether or not the phase upgrade process will be shown in the GUI for the building where you started it: yes. It will be displayed in the same way unit creation is displayed with a percentage and gradual removing of overlay (or however you best describe it in words :P But the visual effect is the same regardless of how well I describe it or not ;) ).

There could be some sort of graphical change when you grow in phases though... Like dirt tracks becoming true roads, perhaps more "actor" props in things like markets (more merchants)…

It's very much a graphical thing, but it does look very cool... And I think it's better for 0 A.D. not to have building meshes change (à la AoE) but rather small textures/props change to reflect the passage from village to town etc.

Also: it's nice to always now which phase you're in, having the progress bar in the top bar would be a good addition.

Edited by wraitii

There could be some sort of graphical change when you grow in phases though... Like dirt tracks becoming true roads, perhaps more "actor" props in things like markets (more merchants)…

It's very much a graphical thing, but it does look very cool... And I think it's better for 0 A.D. not to have building meshes change (à la AoE) but rather small textures/props change to reflect the passage from village to town etc.

Also: it's nice to always now which phase you're in, having the progress bar in the top bar would be a good addition.

More/changed textures/props sounds like a plausible compromise yeah. We'll see what Michael and the others come up with though, I don't want to promise anything on their behalf ;) Also, imho it's one of those things which are nice to have, but imho isn't a priority if there are other things to do that will further the game more :)

I do think that some visual indication of the phase progres in the main GUI (i.e. apart from the one you get when you select the CC) would be nice to have, again I'll leave it to Michael to come up with the best idea though ;)

but each tech can be have a own (unique) illustration like AOE series?

the Civil center can be Change Graphic trough phases like AOEO, towers too XD, i know its a lot of work, and a sound when you press a tech button(drums or bongos like AOE)

They sure can as far as I understand it (Michael or Jonathan who actually knows the details will have to correct me if I'm wrong ;) ), exactly how many will have unique illustrations will depend on how much time the Art people are able to put in though. Knowing Michael et al I presume they will at least have some kind of pregenerated images like most of the current unit portraits :)

For the second question see my reply to wraitii above :)

More/changed textures/props sounds like a plausible compromise yeah. We'll see what Michael and the others come up with though, I don't want to promise anything on their behalf ;) Also, imho it's one of those things which are nice to have, but imho isn't a priority if there are other things to do that will further the game more :)

I do think that some visual indication of the phase progres in the main GUI (i.e. apart from the one you get when you select the CC) would be nice to have, again I'll leave it to Michael to come up with the best idea though ;)

I do understand it's not the highest priority (though something in the GUI would be fairly neat)... it's simply something, as far as art is concerned, that should be considered, and imho done at least to some extent. It's sort of "expected" in a game like 0 A.D. Since 0 A.D. is set on a fairly short time period, and given that it's "village->town->?", it makes sense to try to convey the feeling of more activity instead of redoing everything, which anyway would be a bit too hard.

Edited by wraitii