Player Types

majapahit

Just want to know what are the names for player (or what will you call a player) based on how they play strategy games (not limited to 0 AD). Perhaps you can also explain the strategic approach or psychological background for the following:

• [sTEAMROLLING] Mass army, the bigger the better
  • [GUERRILLA - OFFENSIVE] Smaller army (armies), hit and run
  • [GUERRILLA - DEFENSIVE] Waiting in strategic places for ambush
  • Sending civilians or non combatant to scout map and to confuse enemies
  • [MARCHING BAND] Sending and grouping army based on types
  • Treating hero or super unit as so precious and using other units as cannon fodder
  • [bULLY] Using hero or super unit to attack civilians
  • [CONSERVATIVE] Minimum casualties, orders retreat on wounded units
  • Attacking houses to limit enemy population
  • Attacking military buildings to limit enemy troops
  • Attacking town center, ignoring other buildings
  • Attacking wonders, attacking enemy pride
  • [POACHER] Attracted to chase animals using soldiers
  • [sCORCHED EARTH] Attacking and destroying every building encountered including neutral buildings
  • [THERMOPYLAE / HELLGATE(ing)] Creating defensive position in an opening between two hills/cliffs/buildings to counter larger/superior number of enemies

• [PIRATE] Attacking unarmed ships
  • [NAVAL BOMBARDMENT] Using ships to attack land units
  • [bLOCKADE] Using ships to disrupt ship routes, usually by putting as many ships on a location
  • Positioning multiple attack ships near enemy harbour, to destroy newly created enemy ship

• [flash MOB] Creating shapes or readable characters from idle troop formation
  • [JOHN HANCOCK] Using particle weapons to create signature

• Building walls on a small area
  • Building walls everywhere
  • [TURTLE] Building layer of walls
  • [CIRCUIT WALLS] Using walls to create small passages for confronting infantries
  • [FORBIDDEN CITY] Using walls and gates to lure enemies, usually in form of maze with combination of opening and closing gates to confuse/divide large forces.
  • [TURTLE?] Using buildings as walls
  • [ARCHITECT] Building a pretty town like a sim
  • Buildings are close one another
  • Buildings are distant from one another
  • [sPIDER BASE] Build houses/towers in a row to enlarge the territory and reach resources/choke points. In some occasions may spread to many directions make it look s like spider limbs.

• Collecting resource as priority
  • [PICKERS] Searching resource pile/crates as priority especially at beginning of game
  • [OLD MACDONALD] Using palisades to store animals
  • [RUSHER] Attacking as fast as possible without waiting for strong unit to be available
  • [TECH RUSHER] Focusing on technological advances
  • Eager in converting enemy units
  • Relies on mechanical weapons
  • [CAVALIER] Relies on mounted units
  • Attacking with any units available
  • [DOG WHISPERER] Train large amount of dogs

*. Names are from information given by: Alpha of the Eagles, Geek377, gerbilOFdoom, le me, luziferius, wraitii, join in by giving names on player types. RED is for combat strategies, BLUE is for in game actions.

According to suggestion by Lion.Kanzen , this player types identification can also be used as consideration for building AI behaviour.

Have more in mind?

Edited by majapahit

Massing Armies - Steamrolling; Prefers to crush in one attack rather than micromanage a prolonged campaign

Hit and Run/Ambush - Guerrilla; Micromanages small groups of units for a high K/D ratio; Can be used while amassing resources for a steamroll

Pulling back damaged units - Conservative; Used when resources are limited or when doing so is extremely easy, otherwise usually not worth the clicks

Layered walls/building used for walls - Turtle; Usually a precursor to a good steamrolling, heavy base defense that makes offensive enemies prefer to stay away; vulnerable to supply disruption

Close-together buildings - Defensive tactic intended to confuse pathfinding, makes base assault harder

Far-apart buildings - Offensive tactic intended to make unit production and movement easier

Resource Collection Priority - Infrastructure for the future, less focus on the now. Used in turtling and steamrolling; Vulnerable to rushing

Attacking as fast as possible- Rushing, eliminate or cripple enemy before game has had a chance to start; Less able in the late game, but enemies are even worse off if executed properly

Conversion - Tactic used to conserve resources; Micro-management intensive without some form of automated assistance

Attacking with anything available - When not in an emergency, stupidity. When in an emergency, desperation

The strategies RTS players use most: Rush, Turtle, Steamroll. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, it all depends on your personality and commands-per-minute ability.

im definitely a turtler; even in fast-paced Call of Duty: Black Ops, i like finding a place to just hunker down and hold my position with a red-dot galil ready to fire at an unsuspecting capitalist pig/communist dog :P

when it gets right down to it, i think i may well end up playing as the iberians most often, since theyre a more defensive civ (at least thats what ive gathered)

I am not sure what type of player I really am. I like to think I am rather defensive, which would seem to point me toward the Carthaginians with their triple walls and towers supported by mercenaries, cavalry, and trade or the Iberians with their defensive/guerrilla style supported by cavalry, though the Celts with their agricultural and horde-based culture and the Persians with their fast mobilization and cavalry-based military are pretty interesting too. But since I am so fond of the Hellenes with their tough melee-based military and the Romans with their elite yet versatile military, I think they may be more to my liking. Then, it becomes a toss up between the Hellenes and the Romans, because the Hellenes have archers and siege towers, while the Romans have army camps and siege walls. Suffice it to say, even though the Romans are probably be my primary faction, and the Hellenes are a very attractive alternative, I will use any of the factions.

Edited by Zeta1127

I'm not really sure what my play style is. Maybe I'll make a video and you guys can analyze it for me and tell me what I am. lol

We should engage in battle via multilayer some day. Would be interesting to beat you and burn your cities to the ground :P

"We apologize for any destruction in advance"

We should engage in battle via multilayer some day. Would be interesting to beat you and burn your cities to the ground :P

"We apologize for any destruction in advance"

Hmm, expect to have him do that honor to you ;) You'll have to be extremely good not to lose, even if you would be as good as him in general he still knows the game a lot better than anyone else, so it takes a lot to even survive for any longer amount of time against him :)

Hmm, expect to have him do that honor to you ;) You'll have to be extremely good not to lose, even if you would be as good as him in general he still knows the game a lot better than anyone else, so it takes a lot to even survive for any longer amount of time against him :)

Most of my "skill" comes simply from me being the one to tweak all of the unit stats to my liking. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

[spider Base]

• build houses/towers in a row to enlarge the territory and reach resources/choke points
  • (more or less)cheap base expansion, save the cost of civil centres for not-so-far resources
  • risky in 0ad, since destroying the arm base cuts of the territory and damages every building in the arm
  • using towers gives nice defense against enemy infantry(even more with double fire rate tech)

quick atlas pic:

spider_base.jpeg

[Resource-Guard]

• send some archers/(or whatever) in stand-ground stance to every metal/stone mine found
  • very effective against a not-so-intelligent AI that uses only females to gather from those out-of-base resources
  • EDIT: well, thats more or less defensive guerrilla...

Edited by luziferius

Using walls to create small passages for confronting infantries -> Hellgate/-ing

Usually works when playing with people more concerned with their village than microing troops, and gives their army a waypoint to somewhere near enemy lines with poor scouting. Usually coupled witha a savage tower defence and lots of archers.

I do this with siege tanks in StarCraft when playing against some of my frends who I know forgets to use attack-move from time to time.

Steamrolling, naval bombardment,attacking military buildings,bully(sometimes with any units),thermopolae/hellgate, defencive guerrilla, architecst, also what I call strategy which is when possible surround the enemy then attacking usually aiming for priority targets

I love playing as the spartans btw

• Like 1