My Creations

KayEhn

-Just a rough outline of the Spartan/Greek side of the Battle of Thermopylae...anything to suggest, please do so. Especially on the cliffs, as i am at a loss of what to do on the tops of them.

I have collected a few references from around the web and put them below, (lots of pictures so they are in a spoiler). To get extra height you can lower the entire map to the lowest possible and then add a bit of height to land areas. By default the terrain seems to start about halfway up so you gain a lot of range this way.

If you look at my references you see that the area is pretty bumpy and forested, so you should definitely avoid creating a plateau like you have now. Cliff don't need to be as high are you have made them and they can be less steep as well, this will improve the look of the texture since it is less stretched.

I made a rough mockup to see what might be possible, a screenshot is in the spolier. Some things I found were that the Mediterranean rock, shrub grass combinations work nicely for the kind of cliffs in the area, I also added some bushes to the slopes. There are lots of trees in the references. Though be a bit careful since too many trees cause issues, if you can use actors instead of entities on the inaccessible areas this will help. I found setting the suns angle to be fairly low helped to see the shape of the land much better, it is easy to experiment to find something that works well once you have a few basic hills on the map. I did all of the shaping first, then went and textured the area and then added trees and bushes, this helps make everything look natural since you can put cliff texture on the steepest bits etc.

A relief map of this area. http://g.co/maps/ae4kz be careful though since the coastline has change dramatically, look at the map at the bottom of this post which has a helpful 'present coastline' drawn on. The old coastline ran fairly close to that main road according to wikipedia.

The pass of thermopylae, the road is roughly where the coastline was at the time of the battle.

800px-Thermopylae_ancient_coastline_large.jpg

Drawing of what the site probably looked like

1.jpg

Google earth views of the pass

410956-thermopylaeA.JPG

Possible pass used by the persians:

thermopylae-pass.jpg

thermopylae_480_bc.jpg

My rough test

dwAkN.jpg

I have collected a few references from around the web and put them below, (lots of pictures so they are in a spoiler). To get extra height you can lower the entire map to the lowest possible and then add a bit of height to land areas. By default the terrain seems to start about halfway up so you gain a lot of range this way.

If you look at my references you see that the area is pretty bumpy and forested, so you should definitely avoid creating a plateau like you have now. Cliff don't need to be as high are you have made them and they can be less steep as well, this will improve the look of the texture since it is less stretched.

I made a rough mockup to see what might be possible, a screenshot is in the spolier. Some things I found were that the Mediterranean rock, shrub grass combinations work nicely for the kind of cliffs in the area, I also added some bushes to the slopes. There are lots of trees in the references. Though be a bit careful since too many trees cause issues, if you can use actors instead of entities on the inaccessible areas this will help. I found setting the suns angle to be fairly low helped to see the shape of the land much better, it is easy to experiment to find something that works well once you have a few basic hills on the map. I did all of the shaping first, then went and textured the area and then added trees and bushes, this helps make everything look natural since you can put cliff texture on the steepest bits etc.

-Okay, thank you very much! I will get to work on it once i have time!

You could add a Persian camp on the other side along the coastline. Nothing much, just maybe some forts and lots of docks :)

More stuff for the Greeks to destroy. But realistically speaking, there should alot more Persians than Greeks.

Oh, i know. I'm still in the land-shaping phase, but thanks :) I shall keep that in mind.