Multi-player game de-couples immediatly:

nocompile

My friend downloaded the newest MacOSX 64 bit version, i have the svn version, 64 bit compiled.

I copied over my data dir to his so we have the same stuff.

We started a random map.

IMMEDIATLY it gave the de-couple warning.

We eventually couldnt see what buildings each other built

Had the same problems a year ago.

Why?

Can't this be fixed?

This makes it so we never can play lan games, he wasn't happy w the game bc of this and I looked like a retard @#$% idiot.

I thought this problem would be fixed by now.

Also could you include a macOSx compiled binary in svn like you do for windows, if possible

My friend downloaded the newest MacOSX 64 bit version, i have the svn version, 64 bit compiled.

I copied over my data dir to his so we have the same stuff.

We started a random map.

IMMEDIATLY it gave the de-couple warning.

We eventually couldnt see what buildings each other built

Had the same problems a year ago.

Why?

Can't this be fixed?

This makes it so we never can play lan games, he wasn't happy w the game bc of this and I looked like a retard @#$% idiot.

I thought this problem would be fixed by now.

Also could you include a macOSx compiled binary in svn like you do for windows, if possible

Not sure what you mean by "de-couple", it would be helpful if you posted a more detailed error message than that.

Also, while it doesn't have to be a problem it's never a good idea to play with different versions of the game.

nocompile, a.k.a mosque, a.k.a trajan has been making heaps of modifications to his local copy. Several of his bug reports look like they result from his modifications.

@nocompile: Don't report bugs if you have modified the game in any way. It has to be an identical copy of the game on both ends. You just cause extra work for the devs when you post bugs that only exist in your copy of the game.

nocompile, a.k.a mosque, a.k.a trajan has been making heaps of modifications to his local copy. Several of his bug reports look like they result from his modifications.

@nocompile: Don't report bugs if you have modified the game in any way. It has to be an identical copy of the game on both ends. You just cause extra work for the devs when you post bugs that only exist in your copy of the game.

Your game is worthless then.

The data is all the same, the data dirs were copied over, it should work. The fact that you need identical binaries is pitiful design. Games like xonotic (a quake based game) don't need that sort-of-@#$%. If you have different versions the server sends you client-side-quake-c code to run and everything works fine. Actually the server does this the first time you connect to it, it's about a few K download, and everything works.

And I'm going to continue making modifications as I wish, Your game, vanilla, is VERY boring.

And I am going to continue to file bug reports weather you like it or not, do you understand that, boy?

The likely culprit is that there have been some map and template changes since Alpha 9 (not sure if anything else has changed). Try Alpha 9 instead of SVN.

I copied over my entire data dir, we had the same maps and the same templates. Only the other stuff was different (engine).

Yet it still de-coupled on connect.

This is because your design is a bad design.

If we have the same data we should certainly beable to play the game.

I only modified the DATA, not the game code.

And we both had the same data.

It should work, it doesn't, it is your fault that linux-svn doesn't work with mac-OSX multiplayer.

Is this 1993, because it feels that that's the lever of multiplayer development you're capable of (has to be all the same everything, same binaries, no 2 versions, no matter how SLIGHTLY different in release time (Alpha 9 vs a few weeks later, but ALL the SAME DATA, can't work together because everything is shunted over via binary protocals with no pack/unpack)

Edited by nocompile

k776: you don't like that I make modifications to your game. I can see that. I am _VERY_ glad that this causes you distress.

I will continue to do whatever I want with YOUR game.I don't respect your "right" to "artistic integrity" of your work. I don't respect that at all. I gladly deface it and make my own thing of it.

How about the bug that your darned game can't cope with differences in the binary that is being run, where they are only a week apart, and all the DATA is exactly the same.

And I who thought we had made it clear that using the game is on your own risk, especially since it is an alpha. That also means that the engine itself is changing (which is a good thing as it means the game is moving towards a greater level of completeness), which can mean that the game will indeed not run when you use versions as close apart as a couple of weeks. If you're not prepared to use Alpha software, then wait until we have a 1.0 release before playing the game, otherwise follow our recommendations and use the exact same version and things should work fine (if not we should fix it). Just don't expect us to make each and every revision backwards compatible with every earlier revision, not only would that cause a lot of work, it would also be pretty pointless as everyone is able to get the latest version (and I know that not everyone is able to/prepared to compile the game themselves, but that's what the alpha releases are for: to give everyone a chance to check out the progress of the development).