Letting the Player Decide Population Limit

Tutle

Not sure whether this has been suggested or not, but I think it would be a great additions to the alphas. Cut down on lag is what I hoping it will, as it seems to be what lead to my game getting slower.

Maybe in the single player match have a pop-menu appear asking the players what should be the population limit for both sides.

Something like this:

Population limit (Both sides added together)

[ ] Unlimited (May cause lag)

[ ] 400

[ ] 300 (Recommended)

[ ] 200

[ ] 100 (Quick Match)

I would say my PC would benefit from running it on either 300 or 200. Q-Bot stop spamming! lol

Edited by Tutle

personally, i think it would be good to control player population by letting houses and civic centers provide population, but making the number of population slots which can be unlocked be controlled in the pre-game menu. this way, even in games with unlimited population, there's less chance of the game causing lag: namely, let there be limits on the number of those buildings that can be built by each player, but population can be further expanded by capturing other buildings from other players. this may give an interesting aspect of gameplay where players may want to enact a scorched earth policy and delete their own buildings before the enemy can capture them. also, if its not planned already, i still say that civic centers should only be able to be built on top of settlements like in AOM

Edited by oshron

Users should set the max population cap. Some people's computers just can't handle a certain amount of units, but those who have a better PC and would like to see more bloodshed (in the game, of course) and overwhelming numbers on the screen will be pleased with this option.

Agreed the other options suggested make it a bit complicated. Remember some buildings will allow you to garrison them, I think the houses can be garrisoned by females for protection. In other words, buildings are not only about spawning or increasing the population cap.

Edited by Tutle

perhaps there could be a definitive number of units in all? in Empire Earth, for random maps, you could adjust the amount of units that can be on the map for all players, but there's an absolute maximum, which is divided between players. so, for example, if you set it to 1200 units in all and there were two players, each one would have a maximum population limit of 600, whereas with three players, the max would be 400. unlimited population is VERY tempting, but i say place the maximum number of units that can be placed at 1200 (if the population is divvied up between players) or 800 (if there's a single limit for every player) but to, again, limit the player's population capacity by the number of houses, civic centers, and perhaps select other buildings (like maybe fortresses). this way, the player has to work for their population, which gives them incentive to expand; in empire earth, you never had to build houses because they didn't provide population (but DID give you a little morale boost, but only if they were near a town center) and your entire population capacity was given to you right from the beginning. in contrast, AOE and its spin-offs (im most familiar with AOM) start you off with, like, 5-10% of your maximum population limit, so you had to build houses and town centers to unlock more of that population and forge larger and stronger armies, which honestly makes more sense: you'd expect a civ with a large infrastructure to have larger armies, as opposed to a tiny village with a single barracks training a hundreds-strong army. the amount of houses you can build should be regulated by the number of civic centers you control, but there should also be an absolute limit on houses (say, 25-30) which will prompt you to capture enemy houses as well, which could give more depth to gameplay

Edited by oshron