Known Problems (Please read before posting)

quantumstate

Hi @Joep1802, thanks for reporting the problem. I confirm that the behavior you've been observing is known. Arrows or other projectiles are not currently blocked by obstructions, that means that walls help prevent the enemy from walking farther, but your units behind the walls aren't shielded from the arrows in any way. There is only this small armor bonus that units get when you put them on the wall (using Ctrl + right click).

More has been written about this by @fatherbushido there: 

We could talk about if this behavior is wanted or correct. It sure is easier to compute the trajectory while neglecting any obstructions. So it's less CPU intensive and easier to implement by the programmers. Is it historically accurate though? Well, that depends. You can still at least do what ancient soldiers would do to prevent getting hit by arrows, that is keep alternating between the opposite directions of movement at a fast pace, which will fool even the most experienced ranged units into missing every shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boudica said:

It sure is easier to compute the trajectory while neglecting any obstructions. So it's less CPU intensive and easier to implement by the programmers.

Yes that was the idea.

To detail a bit more:

There is a delayed distant attack. All computations are done in fixed-point arithmetic.

Then there is a trajectory rendered. All computations are done with floats.

To handle blocking projectiles :

You have to do the second stuff in fixed-point arithmetic (slower)

You have to check for obstructions (slow too)

To check for obstructions :

you have to also take into account height of obstructions. Cylinder or cuboid are probably doable. But that could look really bad for some units for which this shape approximation is a bad approximation.

Something like that were done in the first simulation of the game (but that one could not handle multiplayer or saved games).

So there is some work to do, performances could be hurt badly, and you have still design choice to do.

-- fatherbushido

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, serlp97 said:

i downloaded the game 1 week ago, and it's great.

i just wanted to know if the lag problem is solved, because is really hard to play when lot of troops start fighting.

thank you

Set graphics to a minimum. Looks still decent.

Exit most or all other programs which run on your machine.

Even then the game can become laggy, but less likely

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Player of 0AD said:

Set graphics to a minimum. Looks still decent.

Exit most or all other programs which run on your machine.

Even then the game can become laggy, but less likely

i will try, thanks. This problem persists in online matches? i've never played them

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

there was a bug in A24 that made ships not throw arrows for garrisoned troups sometimes. Do you know about it? Has it been fixed? 

On 02/08/2021 at 2:01 PM, Πτολεμαῖοι said:

I do not, though I will try to get a screenshot the next time it happens.

replays are couples of files that you can find in your personal folder for the game files, they keep the log of what happens in the game so that you can see the replay in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new here so please excuse me if this question or suggestion is out of line. But the first page refers to issues highlighted back in 2012, could a more current list of known issues be shown (or, maybe direct me where I can check those).

Also, if advantageous for forum members, any chance that the most recent post is shown first (i.e., newest to oldest sort)?

A common issue appears to be the lag when things get busy, is there a minimum spec for the server, or the computers that players are using?

Much appreciated, and really glad I found this site. Looks like a great community!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I got a crash when I was hosting a 4v4, people were understandably unhappy, and this is the first time the game has crashed on me and I've played a lot of games. I'm posting here because I didn't really understand how to follow the crash directions for posting, though I tried. I've posted the crash below. Please advise on what to do - if anything - and if this sort of thing can be prevented somehow. Thank you. 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.7d013aa5685c70778943e16628695ec4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon!
Thank you so much for a beautiful and interesting game. Strategies are going through hard times right now. I have collected a bunch of different problems encountered during the games. I hope this will help you make the game better.

Common problems:
1. Nations are not balanced. Some are much better than others. I understand that it is unrealistic to achieve a perfect balance, but there are cultures that are much inferior to others, do not have economic or team bonuses.
2. Ram and other workshop units suffer from poison. It seems illogical to me.
3. War elephants are very stupid, trying to get to a separate unit, dying often on the way.
4. Lion attack animation does not work. The speed of the animal is very small.
5. The problem with the visual display of chariots (first of all), elephants, cavalry. If there are a lot of them, the models begin to "run over" each other, perhaps it is worth increasing the "size" of the models?
6. Shooting units are not balanced. Spear throwers are much stronger than others, and slingers are generally useless. Warriors with crushing weapons are useless in battle, because ALL units have high protection from crushing damage.
7. Some heroes are useless.
8. Arson from elite Iberian spear throwers makes this unit the most effective.
9. The Kushite team bonus for a discount for elephants does not work for elite elephants (for AI Mauri for sure). Why would the Kushites need a bonus on rams if there are elephants that are, in general, more useful?
10. Improvements in the forge are often not made or are made late (especially if there is not enough iron that went to mercenaries)

AI Problems:
1. When attacking a city, women do not hide in houses or command centers. As a result, they die en masse.
2. Builders are trying to build something and sometimes try to walk through the territory or under the towers of the enemy. The same applies to the placement of building frames under the fire of enemy towers – time after time they are placed after destruction. If you forbid AI to build buildings in the same place after demolition (and move them closer to the main base) or if you lose a large number of workers on the way, this could solve the problem.
3. Often, when attacking, units go in a liquid line, one or two at a time to a tower or fortress to hide in it. They do not respond to enemy attacks and the cavalry of the attacking AI destroys them. As a result, the units did not reach the goal and died uselessly.
4. The healers and aura of the temple treatment are not used. At the same time, improvements are being made in it.
5. When moving, the cavalry comes first and dies first (especially the arrows that have little HP) which can greatly affect the outcome of the battle.
6. Behavior during construction on its territory suffers from a huge problem – units are sent to build from the other end of the map. Which means a loss of time and may lead to the fact that the defense will not be built BEFORE the attack.
7. Trade routes are built along the longest route, but often it passes very close to enemy territories or through places where caravans will be destroyed first.
8. The second market is being built uselessly – it is too close and there are few resources from it. Merchants are built much later. Maybe we should make it so that the AI builds a second market AFTER the second city center? And the distance will be longer, and the merchants will be more useful.
9. Very often the market is built far away, but without protection. Maybe it should be done so that fortresses or towers are built first, and then the market?
10. Offer – heroes retreat at 25% HP or lower. They're dying too fast right now.
11. If the attacker could not capture the tower, he begins to beat it. Spearmen and shooters do not fight, but attack the tower, which makes them an easy target for defenders.
12. High priority for the construction of mercenaries. As a result, there is not enough iron for elite units.
13. The estate and fields should not be placed from the enemy's side
14. The improvement of the loom (HP for women) is not being done.

Problems of AI Persians:

1. Do not make spear throwers.
2. A lot of chariots.
3. In the late game, he often makes almost only elite cavalry and chariots, from which the economy suffers.
4. Makes an improvement on military service and practically does not do infantry afterwards.

Kushite AI Problems:
1. Builds too many mercenaries, there are no resources for elite infantry and elephants. Hired warriors with a mace are useless trash.
2. I very rarely see elite temple guards in battle (they don't have iron on them)
3. Does not build swordsmen.

Problems of AI Mauri:
1. They don't build swordsmen.
2. Does not build working elephants. A working elephant often stands near the city center.
3. Does not build elite warriors with a mace (but makes improvements on them), which is good, because crushing damage in the infantry game is useless.
4. He does not build archers on elephants.
5. There are a lot of chariots.
6. The proposal for a working elephant is to set the minimum distance from the nearest warehouse where the AI should put it (40-60 meters), or send it to construction sites (but then workers who carried resources to the elephant can run half a map after it)

Problems of AI ptolmeyev:
1. There are too many mercenaries, especially archers. There is almost no elite.

P.S.q Incorrect translation of the hero of the Kushites And the river (on the elephant) - the price of the temple and the temple guard of Apedemak decreases (you have indicated that it increases)
P.S.2 I apologize for the clumsy translation, I am a Russian speaker.

The text is in Russian, if it will be useful to you somehow

Spoiler

Добрый день!

Огромное спасибо за красивую и интересную игру. Стратегии сейчас переживают не лучшие времена. Я собрал кучу разных проблем, встреченных во время игр. Надеюсь, это поможет вам сделать игру лучше.

Общие проблемы:
1. Нации не сбалансированы. Некоторые намного лучше, чем другие. Я понимаю, что добиться идеального баланса нереально, но тут есть культуры, которые сильно уступают другим, не имеют экономических или командных бонусов.

2. Таран и другие юниты мастерской страдают от яда. Мне кажется это нелогичным.

3. Боевые слоны очень сильно тупят, пытаясь добраться до отдельного юнита,  умирая часто по дороге.

4. Анимация атаки льва не работает. Скорость животного очень маленькая.

5. Проблема с визуальным отображением колесниц (в первую очередь), слонов, кавалерии. Если их много модели начинают «наезжать» друг на друга, возможно, стоит увеличить «размер» моделей?

6. Стрелковые юниты не сбалансированы. Метатели копий намного сильнее других, а пращники вообще бесполезны. Воины с дробящим оружием бесполезны в сражения, т.к. у ВСЕХ юнитов высокая защита от дробящего урона.

7. Некоторые герои бесполезны.

8. Поджог от элитных метателей копий иберийцев делает этот юнит самым эффективным.

9. Командный бонус кушитов на скидку для слонов не работает на элитных слонов (на ИИ Маури точно). Зачем кушитам бонус на тараны, если есть слоны, которые, в целом, более полезны?

10. Улучшения в кузнице часто не делаются или делаются поздно (особенно, если не хватает железа, которое ушло на наемников)

Проблемы ИИ:
1. При нападении на город женщины не прячутся в дома или командные центры. В результате массово гибнут.

2. Строители пытаются что то строить и иногда пытаются дойти через территорию или под башнями врага. Тоже касается размещения каркасов зданий  под огнем башен врага – раз за разом они размещаются после уничтожения. Если запретить ИИ после сноса строения строить на том же месте (а с двинуть ближе к основной базе) или при потере большого количества рабочих по дороге, это могло бы решить проблему.

3. Часто при нападении юниты идут жидкой линией, по одному-двое к башне или крепости, что бы в ней спрятаться. Они не отвечают на атаки врага и кавалерия атакующего ИИ их уничтожает. В итоге юниты не дошли до цели и бесполезно умерли.

4. Не используются лекари и аура лечения храма. При этом делаются улучшения в нем.

5. При движении кавалерия приходит первой и умирает первой (особенно стрелки, которые имеют мало ХП) что может сильно повлиять на исход боя.

6. Поведение при строительстве на своей территории страдает огромной проблемой – строить отправляются юниты с другого конца карты. Что означает потерю времени и может привести к тому, что оборона не будет построена ДО атаки.

7. Торговые пути строятся по самому длинному маршруту, но часто он проходит очень близко к вражеским территориям или через места, где караваны будут уничтожены первыми.

8. Второй рынок строится бесполезно – он слишком близко и от него мало ресурсов. Торговцы строятся намного позже. Может стоит сделать так, что бы ИИ строил второй рынок ПОСЛЕ второго городского центра? И расстояние будет побольше, и торговцы будут полезнее.

9. Очень часто рынок строится далеко, но без защиты. Может стоит сделать так, что бы сначала строились крепости или башни, а потом рынок?

10. Предложение – герои отступают при 25% ХП или ниже. Сейчас они слишком быстро умирают.

11. Если атакующий не смог захватить башню, он начинает её бить. Копейщики и стрелки не воюют, а атакуют башню, что делает их легкой целью для защитников.

12. Высокий приоритет по строительству наемников. В итоге не хватает железа на элитные юниты.

13. Усадьбу и поля не надо размещать со стороны врага

14. Не делается улучшение ткацкий станок (ХП женщинам).

Проблемы ИИ Персов:
1. Не делают метателей копий.

2 Очень много колесниц.

3. В поздней игре часто делает практически только элитную кавалерию и колесницы, от чего страдает экономика.

4. Делает улучшение на воинскую повинность и практически не делает потом пехоту.

Проблемы ИИ кушитов:

1.     Строит слишком много наемников, нет ресурсов на элитную пехоту и слонов. Наемные воины с булавой – бесполезный хлам.

2.     Очень редко вижу в бою элитную храмовую стражу (на них нет железа)

3.     Не строит мечников.

Проблемы ИИ Маури:

1. Не строят мечников.

2. Не строит рабочих слонов. Рабочий слон часто стоит у городского центра.

3. Не строит элитных воинов с булавой (но делает улучшение на них), что хорошо, т.к. дробящий урон в игре у пехоты бесполезен.

4. Лучников на слонах не строит.

5. Очень много колесниц.

6. Предложение по рабочему слону – установить минимальное расстояние от ближайшего склада, на котором ИИ должен его ставить (метров 40-60), или отправлять к стройкам (но тогда рабочие, которые несли ресурсы к слону могут бежать за ним полкарты)

Проблемы ИИ птолмеев:

1.     Слишком много наемников, особенно лучников. Почти нет элиты.

П.С. Прошу прощения за корявый перевод, я русскоговорящий.

Hey thanks for the thorough feedback! And welcome to the forums.

2 hours ago, Charah said:

Ram and other workshop units suffer from poison. It seems illogical to me.

@Langbart did we fix it ?

5. The problem with the visual display of chariots (first of all), elephants, cavalry. If there are a lot of them, the models begin to "run over" each other, perhaps it is worth increasing the "size" of the models?

Should be better in the next version @wraitii made some fixes.

Lion attack animation does not work. The speed of the animal is very small.

They do not have an animation yet.

AI Problems:
1. When attacking a city, women do not hide in houses or command centers. As a result, they die en masse.
2. Builders are trying to build something and sometimes try to walk through the territory or under the towers of the enemy. The same applies to the placement of building frames under the fire of enemy towers – time after time they are placed after destruction. If you forbid AI to build buildings in the same place after demolition (and move them closer to the main base) or if you lose a large number of workers on the way, this could solve the problem.
3. Often, when attacking, units go in a liquid line, one or two at a time to a tower or fortress to hide in it. They do not respond to enemy attacks and the cavalry of the attacking AI destroys them. As a result, the units did not reach the goal and died uselessly.
4. The healers and aura of the temple treatment are not used. At the same time, improvements are being made in it.
5. When moving, the cavalry comes first and dies first (especially the arrows that have little HP) which can greatly affect the outcome of the battle.
6. Behavior during construction on its territory suffers from a huge problem – units are sent to build from the other end of the map. Which means a loss of time and may lead to the fact that the defense will not be built BEFORE the attack.
7. Trade routes are built along the longest route, but often it passes very close to enemy territories or through places where caravans will be destroyed first.
8. The second market is being built uselessly – it is too close and there are few resources from it. Merchants are built much later. Maybe we should make it so that the AI builds a second market AFTER the second city center? And the distance will be longer, and the merchants will be more useful.
9. Very often the market is built far away, but without protection. Maybe it should be done so that fortresses or towers are built first, and then the market?
10. Offer – heroes retreat at 25% HP or lower. They're dying too fast right now.
11. If the attacker could not capture the tower, he begins to beat it. Spearmen and shooters do not fight, but attack the tower, which makes them an easy target for defenders.
12. High priority for the construction of mercenaries. As a result, there is not enough iron for elite units.
13. The estate and fields should not be placed from the enemy's side
14. The improvement of the loom (HP for women) is not being done.

@JCWasmx86

4 hours ago, Stan` said:
7 hours ago, Charah said:

Ram and other workshop units suffer from poison. It seems illogical to me.

@Langbart did we fix it ?

Wait for Alpha XXVI - Zhuangzi

Ref: rP26892 - Make ship and siege immune to poison (20/May/22)

8. Arson from elite Iberian spear throwers makes this unit the most effective.

Wait for Alpha XXVI - Zhuangzi

Ref: rP26667 - Nerf fire cav (differently). (18/Mar/22)

9. The Kushite team bonus for a discount for elephants does not work for elite elephants (for AI Mauri for sure).

Can't reproduce the issue!

Start cost: 300Food/200Metal ; 36seconds build time

auras/teambonuses/kush_player_teambonus.json

• 20% reduction

technologies/unit_elephant_african.json

• 10% reduction

End cost: 216F/144M; ~26s

8 hours ago, Charah said:

Why would the Kushites need a bonus on rams if there are elephants that are, in general, more useful?

Ref: rP24606 - [Gameplay A24] - Adjust some siege engine stats. (14/Jan/21)

"Give Kush ram +2 garrison capacity and +20 attack damage since it is the same actor as the Persian ram."

10. Improvements in the forge are often not made or are made late (especially if there is not enough iron that went to mercenaries)

Know your enemy and choose wisely. 

Slightly outdated, related forum thread: My idea for counter system. (10/Aug/17)

image.png.833465191c17ee39173b9fdc8033b04f.png

Also a bit outdated, related forum thread I made a thing : Unit counter relationship network viz (9/Jan/19)

image.png.b34537feece0cc06fd2e046426a0c75e.png

P.S.q Incorrect translation of the hero of the Kushites And the river (on the elephant) - the price of the temple and the temple guard of Apedemak decreases (you have indicated that it increases)

Да

image.jpeg.51f8839b66a676dca899979765135af3.jpeg

Help with the translation at https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/0ad/!

• Thanks 1

Good afternoon.
In continuation to the previous message:

1. It was also not possible to repeat the problem with the cost of elephants. Perhaps this is a problem with the old version.
2. About improvements in the forge – it concerned AI. In some cultures, a huge amount of metal is spent on mercenaries. And then the AI does not have enough metal for the production of elite troops and improvements in the forge.
3. I corrected the translation about the temple.

Questions about translation:
1. Some forms of translation in my language look strange (one word can be translated in different ways, all translations are correct, but some sound more familiar than others). With whom you can talk to understand why you chose such formulations?
2. Are there even those who check the translation so that everything would be in the same style? I just tweaked the text a lot, but now I'm not sure that everything is in the same style.
3. It is not entirely clear why the double name. I'm talking about the names of units and buildings "for historicity" and in my language in parentheses. They confuse new players (in my experience).
• What is the meaning of a double title translated twice?
• Perhaps it's worth swapping them, it's more important for me to understand – I'm going to make an equestrian javelin thrower or equestrian swordsman. I understand that after a few games I focus more on the icon rather than the name, but at first it's inconvenient.
4. Is it possible to add a brief description of the units for the popup window? What is there now with the indication of classes will say little to a beginner. And the additional information in the large window is very overloaded with information (especially on construction).
For example:
Woman can build buildings and extract resources (especially berries and crops from the fields), but useless in battle.
Spearmen are the main heavy infantry of most states, especially effective in the fight against cavalry. Can mine resources and build buildings.
Pikemen (phalanx) – slow, but well-protected infantry, especially effective in the fight against cavalry. Can mine resources and build buildings.
Swordsmen are versatile, but expensive infantry. It resists other heavy infantry well, but not cavalry. Can mine resources and build buildings.

5. The Macedonian elite infantry, after improvement, can be replaced with the name "silver shield" (now I have not found such an opportunity)

Notes on the game balance:

1. Melee infantry is now, by and large, needed as a human shield, because spear throwers cause much more damage than ordinary infantry. This can be seen both in AI battles and in YouTube videos.
2. Pikemen suffer greatly among the melee infantry. In a 1-on-1 battle, they lose even to spearmen. In addition, the mechanics with the increase of units play against them – due to a slower attack, they are pumped more slowly and get promoted. On the other hand, as a meat shield, for the protection of shooters, they are ideal. But it seems to me that this is not what you would like.

7 minutes ago, Charah said:

Some forms of translation in my language look strange (one word can be translated in different ways, all translations are correct, but some sound more familiar than others). With whom you can talk to understand why you chose such formulations?

unfortunately the topic of translations is separate from this forum.

You can search  the Transifex forums.