raiding party

oddchild

It would be real neat if units when they died, left behind their goods. Their goods would be left where they died, so that the materials could be collected by the victor. I think that would be real nice. Although, it should be apart of the game setup that you can choose when starting the game as it might cause lags.

When you are playing in a game and resources become scarce it would be very helpful to be able to get the resources that the villiagers had that were killed. Then after the resources are gathered, have the soildier / other unit return back to where they were previously, rather than staying at the mill / civic center.

It would be real neat if units when they died, left behind their goods. Their goods would be left where they died, so that the materials could be collected by the victor. I think that would be real nice. Although, it should be apart of the game setup that you can choose when starting the game as it might cause lags.

When you are playing in a game and resources become scarce it would be very helpful to be able to get the resources that the villiagers had that were killed. Then after the resources are gathered, have the soildier / other unit return back to where they were previously, rather than staying at the mill / civic center.

Every unit has a <Loot> value that simulates this on some abstract level.

Something liekm this maybe>?

yeah, but the player isn't looking to his resources when he is looting the treasure, the player is looking to the unit who is gathering it, so it would make more sense to add a floating lil' icon of the resource plus the number of gathered resources above the treasure and a short message on the corner of the screen informing the player that X resources of the type Y were looted, for when the player isn't watching the unit gather it. That's how i think it should work.

yeah, but the player isn't looking to his resources when he is looting the treasure, the player is looking to the unit who is gathering it, so it would make more sense to add a floating lil' icon of the resource plus the number of gathered resources above the treasure and a short message on the corner of the screen informing the player that X resources of the type Y were looted, for when the player isn't watching the unit gather it. That's how i think it should work.

This frankly sounds like overkill for +10 random resources.

you could perhaps indicate it with the golden '+#' as well as adding in a sound like a coin clinking against another, and maybe a little gold sparkle to visually indicate it

how was the loot value planned for implementation, anyway? and what are the values? is it, like, 10% of the resources used to create that unit? in any case, i rather like this idea, and thinking it would also work well if something like this was also applied to civic buildings (maybe this could simplify old ideas of buildings leaving behind rubble that you have to physically collect?)

Edited by oshron

How about an option to show this in the GUI? A toggle command if you will. (I think L is free)

Because I think you can slit this in two ways: people who don't care how much they're getting, and people who care and want to see the loot. Best of both worlds this way.

I also like Mythos's picture, just don't make it too flashy! Alternatively, have a little halo surround the player on the ground (like Madden). Either way, one could argue it will be too flashy, or distracting. So back to my original point, the toggle would be nice.

yknow, if you want to have physical loot, you could just render it as a small pile of twigs, coins, pebbles, and/or food, and make it two-dimensional (and rotate to face the camera) so that the model takes up less space; in some old 3D games, trees that were far away from the player were made 2D to take up less data, so that the game wouldnt lag, to give you all some precedent

yknow, if you want to have physical loot, you could just render it as a small pile of twigs, coins, pebbles, and/or food, and make it two-dimensional (and rotate to face the camera) so that the model takes up less space; in some old 3D games, trees that were far away from the player were made 2D to take up less data, so that the game wouldnt lag, to give you all some precedent

that is what i was thinking. :)