Iberian Navy

L'ethu

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Iberians have no war vessel, how do they compete against the other five factions in the game?

Is it possible for the Iberians to hire mercenary war vessel from shipyard/port or they share the same vessel with the Celts? If so then the Iberians could at least defend the coast from the other factions.

Edited by L'ethu

Then for what purpose the Iberian need a port? There's no point of building a port and civilian vessel and then the enemy could destroy them with ease. If so the structure should be a scenario available structure because there's no point for the Iberians to show themselves in naval warfare related random map.

They do not have a navy, they do have a fishing fleet and a merchant fleet though =) In other words, they may not have war ships, but they do have fishing ships and trade ships.

Alright, then you guys have confirmed that there's no port or civilian ship for the Iberians in the random map.

Thank you, feneur for providing me a good explanation.

Edited by L'ethu

Looks like an Iberian player has to focus on the land first, since Iberian navy is non-existence, trying to win the war with naval is a fool's hope. Iberian players can still have fishing ships and merchant ships but look like they will be constantly harassed by other factions' warships. :P

Looks like an Iberian player has to focus on the land first, since Iberian navy is non-existence, trying to win the war with naval is a fool's hope. Iberian players can still have fishing ships and merchant ships but look like they will be constantly harassed by other factions' warships. :P

No point of having civilian vessel or naval port in a random map if you cannot protect them, either they could fit themselves with soldiers into merchant ship that granting them some offensive ability or imposing a policy that allows Iberian player to summon Carthaginian war vessel or else the Iberian will be barred from joining any maritime activity related map.

Edited by L'ethu

the iberians are the most defensive civ, right? couldnt they conceivably build walls and towers around their islands to protect themselves from invasion, as well as to fend off enemy ships? perhaps, as compensation if that isnt enough, their towers and so on could have extra attack versus ships and siege (iirc, the iberians are planned to have some kind of flaming weapons bonus; just toss that in as a researchable or even automatic extra for their buildings)

I can see the politics of a game involving a protection agreement between players, Iberians cover land, whoever else covers sea... with some resources trading hands, of course.

I'm sorry, did you mean that Iberians should stick on some diplomatic agreement between players but if a player was forced to confront the enemy without any diplomatic option, how could they possibly win the conflict?

the iberians are the most defensive civ, right? couldnt they conceivably build walls and towers around their islands to protect themselves from invasion, as well as to fend off enemy ships? perhaps, as compensation if that isnt enough, their towers and so on could have extra attack versus ships and siege (iirc, the iberians are planned to have some kind of flaming weapons bonus; just toss that in as a researchable or even automatic extra for their buildings)

Well, if there's no war vessels for the Iberian player in a naval conflict, what could they do to win a naval conflict? 

Edited by L'ethu

Side question: is there any other way to win than "military" in this game? Or at least planned? Because it seems like Iberians are pretty much sure to lose on islands map in other cases.

You just wouldn't choose to use Iberians on an island map. Or in a team game on an island map the Iberians could play as assault troops while their allies build large fleets. Variety is the spice of life. :)

Design choice then, no problem, I'm merely worried that it might break choosing random civilization on multiplayer... Perhaps you could set a "random", "random with boats (ie not iberians" option. Of course, since random maps are barely existing right now, it's not the hugest concern.

Side question 2: if there's no allies at all and you're locked in an archipelago surrounded by enemies with sophisticated war vessels and you have limited resources to expand your armies, does it mean that you're terminated even before the game started?

As a community member, i hope that the team take a serious consideration on the Iberian maritime matter. Either the team remove the Iberian seaport building from the construction option and make it an editor-only structure or figure out a policy tech like the Carthaginian Vassal that could grant Iberian player to use a limited Carthaginian war vessels (Bireme, not other medium and heavy war vessels).

Edited by L'ethu

Hiring mercenary war vessels? Sounds logical to me, but will they accept this proposal? No, i don't think so.

Whoa don't be so negative, I'm pretty sure that there are nothing wrong with hiring mercenary naval ships as long as gameplay goes, and a good proposal has a high chance to be accepted so don't abandon your hope :)

They wouldn't get into a naval conflict. :)

say, do ships count towards the "total annihilation" victory objective (yknow, the standard RTS objective where you just completely wipe out your enemy)? because it occurs to me that, if the iberians cant build any warvessels, then in a pitched battle between them and, say, someone playing as teh hellenes, if the hellenes are utterly beaten, couldnt they conceivably just troll the iberian player after theyre otherwise utterly defeated by sending their remaining ships out into waters where the iberians cant get them? i mean, unless its got some citizen-soldiers on it, there's no way that the ships by themselves would be able to win anyway

It's obvious that the Iberians aren't meant to be played in a 1v1 multiplayer scenario in water-based maps, and doing so is suicide. I'm just glad that the team isn't making this game into a Rock-Paper-Scissor game by "balancing" everything. However, the "Total Annihilation" feature might need to be tweaked with Iberians just to prevent abuse and stalls (i.e. Hellenes destroy Iberian ally, and Iberian destroy all of Hellenes except fleet. Fleet runs away, destroy Iberian naval base, and continuously harrass shipbuilders, or they just stab one citizen in a transport and rebuild their civilization.)