Portable 0 A.D.

Hi, I've made a portable release from an installation of 0 A.D.

I then uninstalled and tried it, while keeping track of unwanted files.

The game does not leave traces, from what I've seen, except for when it is crashed, and then running it again will delete the unwanted files.

I couldn't make it save games and changes, witch is not a very good thing, but hey, this is my first attempt to make a portable software.

I used Cameyo for this, that is why the logo appear in the beginning,

If someone know about a better virtualization program, I would be happy to know.

EDIT: darn, I was trying to attach it, but it didn't get it.

Edited by iap

I couldn't make it save games and changes, witch is not a very good thing, but hey, this is my first attempt to make a portable software.

I believe if you run the game with the "-writableRoot" option then all the data gets saved next to the binary, which would make it essentially self-contained. I could be wrong about that though, since I've never tried it.

I believe if you run the game with the "-writableRoot" option then all the data gets saved next to the binary, which would make it essentially self-contained. I could be wrong about that though, since I've never tried it.

I'll check it right away.

The size of the file is 300mb zip, it extracted to 650mb exe. I tried to upload it again (as attachment) and failed. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is! :cheers:

Now to make a portable package is just adding an option to your installer, to put all in one place (without "uninstall" in the registry, and without start menu) and create a batch file with this option.

Will you be able to do it for the next alpha?

(and I'm sorry for the delay)