Details: unhandled exception (Access violation reading 0x2BC13AE0) when starting new game

netino

the game launches fine, when i choose to start the game it loads map and after 100% it gives me this error and doesnt start the actual game, here's the error and i also attached the two files asked

Much to our regret we must report the program has encountered an error. Please let us know at http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ and attach the crashlog.txt and crashlog.dmp files. Details: unhandled exception (Access violation reading 0x2BC13AE0) Location: unknown:0 (?) Call stack: (error while dumping stack: No stack frames found) errno = 0 (No error reported here) OS error = 2 (The system cannot find the file specified.)

crashlog.txt

crashlog.dmp

Hmm... I got Acess Violations Errors once with Blender, when I tried to launch it from a folder or place that has graphic accent (my folder name was called Usuário)... I just changed the location and it started fine... :) Win 7 weirdness...

Dunno if you have a similar setup, or if what i said is of any good. But maybe it can help ;)

If your game is within important folders, like Program Files or Windows folders, try moving it to another place, my windows 7 very often has problems with programs installed within these folders, even when running as administrator (i've lost saved preferences of a game and didn't realize the cause until the third time it happened).

Hmm... I got Acess Violations Errors once with Blender, when I tried to launch it from a folder or place that has graphic accent (my folder name was called Usuário)... I just changed the location and it started fine... :) Win 7 weirdness...

Dunno if you have a similar setup, or if what i said is of any good. But maybe it can help ;)

My game is installed here C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Application Data\0ad so i don't think the underscore would have any effect, and also i'm on winXp two things i thought it might be that my video card is integrated 128mb crap, and the computer is from 2005, i also don't have openGL or webGL (if that matters) and my directX has that funny problem where it keeps saying i have directX9.0b no matter how many times i remove directX all together and install again, i've tried everything google threw at me to solve this, but like i said, i don't know if any of these things would cause this.

@Sonarpulse my profile is the only one on this computer and it's set as administrator

@Pedro falcao i'm on win XP and like i said the game is in this folder, C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Application Data\0ad

PS: the game does launch ok, i can choose map, choose civ, it's only when i start the match and the map loads to 100% that i get this error and then it closes game

Edited by netino

and also i'm on winXp two things i thought it might be that my video card is integrated 128mb crap, and the computer is from 2005, i also don't have openGL or webGL (if that matters) and my directX has that funny problem where it keeps saying i have directX9.0b no matter how many times i remove directX all together and install again, i've tried everything google threw at me to solve this, but like i said, i don't know if any of these things would cause this.

I can assure you, you do have OpenGL or the window would not even start (not to mention you'd have to try very hard not to have OpenGL these days) :) But it's an ancient version (1.3), the drivers must be equally ancient and bugs can't be ruled out. DirectX shouldn't have any impact because we use OpenGL exclusively for rendering, since DirectX is not available for other OSes. Can you try changing some graphics settings in default.cfg? I can't promise it will make a difference, but it's worth trying. Settings of note are renderpath and novbo.

PS: the game does launch ok, i can choose map, choose civ, it's only when i start the match and the map loads to 100% that i get this error and then it closes game

The current thinking is that it's a driver bug, the crash actually occurs in a GL call (glDrawElements), so everything but your graphics card, drivers, and our code are basically irrelevant :) I'm not so sure we aren't doing something subtly wrong, but it's not something everyone can reproduce - in fact it's quite rare.

The biggest help might be to get a newer computer, or a really cheap but decent replacement graphics card. I got an Nvidia Geforce 7600-ish PCI for my ancient dying computer, before eventually replacing it, but that helped for a while.

I can assure you, you do have OpenGL or the window would not even start (not to mention you'd have to try very hard not to have OpenGL these days) :) But it's an ancient version (1.3), the drivers must be equally ancient and bugs can't be ruled out. DirectX shouldn't have any impact because we use OpenGL exclusively for rendering, since DirectX is not available for other OSes. Can you try changing some graphics settings in default.cfg? I can't promise it will make a difference, but it's worth trying. Settings of note are renderpath and novbo.

The current thinking is that it's a driver bug, the crash actually occurs in a GL call (glDrawElements), so everything but your graphics card, drivers, and our code are basically irrelevant :) I'm not so sure we aren't doing something subtly wrong, but it's not something everyone can reproduce - in fact it's quite rare.

The biggest help might be to get a newer computer, or a really cheap but decent replacement graphics card. I got an Nvidia Geforce 7600-ish PCI for my ancient dying computer, before eventually replacing it, but that helped for a while.

thanks for the help bruno, but i tried everything u said and same result, i'll just wait till i get a new PC and meanwhile im on AOC thanks :)

Sonarpulse my profile is the only one on this computer and it's set as administrator

Oh, your on XP. Then it probably won't, if you were on Vista or 7 there is a difference.

How? :P

Well, I think I was thinking more "Acess denied", whoops. But I think I read there might actually be some subtle differences in the way windows handles memory based on whether the program is run with administrator privilages.

The game crashes again, same error, my graphics card is NVIDIA 9800GT.

When the game 100% loading progress when crashes occur.

How do you know it's the same error, did you use a debugger? (There are actually a lot of potential causes of "unhandled exception" errors, and more generally, crashes)

I'd be surprised if it was the same, since you have a decent graphics card and Nvidia is pretty good about supporting older devices and updating drivers.

Because I made ​​to test this issue has been resolved ..

But there are still a problem plaguing all of us, that is, the lag of the game, when the armed forces and building more and more the speed of the game become lag, which makes me unable to quickly control the army to attack enemy troops, and then the game speed increasingly lagging behind, they walk faster and lag, almost tens of seconds to move a few steps, it is very bad. this issue needs to be resolved as soon as possible, as it affects gaming performance. Thank you!:wacko:

Because I made ​​to test this issue has been resolved ..

But there are still a problem plaguing all of us, that is, the lag of the game, when the armed forces and building more and more the speed of the game become lag, which makes me unable to quickly control the army to attack enemy troops, and then the game speed increasingly lagging behind, they walk faster and lag, almost tens of seconds to move a few steps, it is very bad. this issue needs to be resolved as soon as possible, as it affects gaming performance. Thank you!:wacko:

Yup. We know.

There isn't a need to post the same message about lag issues on a number of disparate threads to do with unrelated issues.

Take it as given that the devs, who do play a considerable amount of 0AD, would be aware of the pathfinding/performance status at present.

We'd all like to see it incrementally improved, and that is taking place.