Walking Animations

Barstar

Coupled with the speeds associated with running or walking, I find the distinction detrimental to the game. Units look a bit silly when they walk around and sprint to keep in formation and move at jogging speeds while they walk.

My favorite movement scheme was Age of Mythology: everything moved in a light jog (except some heroes and the citizens) so they always appeared attentive and ready but not too keen. On that note I would recommend scrapping the running/walking distinction and set every combat unit to a light jog (same speed as walking but a more appropriate animation) whenever things like that become a priority (I imagine there are far more pressing matters at the moment)

Edited by Barstar

That's our plan, to tweak the existing animations or even re-do them from scratch, but we're having some trobble getting new rigs to show up ingame - specially for Blender, since most of our team now uses blender, and i'm prety sure that blender will be primary software of choice for modders, since it's free and open-source. (the old animations were created with 3ds/XSI and we're trying to port them to a blender rig) :/ (What is really silly... I hope we can do that soon.) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Why? :unsure:

Because horses walk faster than people, at least on open ground, they need a slower speed when in formation with footsoldiers.

Another option is to let them advance at their on pace, and have them make frequent pauses to stay with the group.

Thinking of it, since there are units slower than humans, it's going to be tricky to synchronise all that...

Because horses walk faster than people, at least on open ground, they need a slower speed when in formation with footsoldiers.

Another option is to let them advance at their on pace, and have them make frequent pauses to stay with the group.

Thinking of it, since there are units slower than humans, it's going to be tricky to synchronise all that...

A group of units already walks as slow as the slowest unit in the group. It's all done dynamically. The animations are even slowed down or sped up to compensate. The engine does this for us.