Animation Pipeline

Gen.Kenobi

I don't think it's worth trying to do that, since the old model/rig's proportions don't even match this one's. Plus I've exported the old rig twice and had it look completely messed up. (I don't have any screenshots of them, though)

I got the model rigged (with no IKs, I'm gonna spend a lot of time figuring out how to make a good IK rig). Screenie:

ibz9aIYTuMAjjT.png

As you can see, the model is a bit too skinny for the Celt javelinist...

Edit: Also, I noticed that you UVed it so that it would repeat the leg texture, but that won't work in the engine currently, so I guess we'll have to bug wraitii or myconid to implement repeating textures.

As you can see, the model is a bit too skinny for the Celt javelinist...

Edit: Also, I noticed that you UVed it so that it would repeat the leg texture, but that won't work in the engine currently, so I guess we'll have to bug wraitii or myconid to implement repeating textures.

The new dude mesh is a "naked" unit, those celt units use a "long pants" version. But the rig/animations still the same for all meshes, don't they?

I made some further UV tweaking solving also the leg UV issue, but I forgot to post the file :/ sorry.

dude newmesh UV.zip

Looks like the body needs scaled up relative to the head size (the head is too big and positioned awkwardly).

I scaled the body mesh to fit the size of the old mesh, so it should fit fine. If it doesn't, then it probably means we need to tweak the model.

I also think this body type would be good for "skinny" units like archers and such.

I agree, but for melee infantry we should have a more muscly model. Once I add weights to Enrique's modified model, then I can post the blend if someone wants to try their hand at modifying it.

• 3 weeks later...

I know Zaggy is already making the new biped skeleton, but just in case, I link here an advanced armature done by the guys at BlenderCookie, it seems more advanced than we'll probably need but It may come handy to take a look to their setup and such.

It's licensed by CC-BY-SA 3.0: http://cgcookie.com/blender/2012/12/14/cg-cookie-flex-rig-download/

I scaled the body mesh to fit the size of the old mesh, so it should fit fine. If it doesn't, then it probably means we need to tweak the model.

The old body models are proportioned badly. That's one of the reasons we need new ones, so don't use the old models for scale. I would scale the new models to the existing props (heads, etc.).

I agree, but for melee infantry we should have a more muscly model. Once I add weights to Enrique's modified model, then I can post the blend if someone wants to try their hand at modifying it.

Great! Please proceed! :)

I know Zaggy is already making the new biped skeleton, but just in case, I link here an advanced armature done by the guys at BlenderCookie, it seems more advanced than we'll probably need but It may come handy to take a look to their setup and such.

It's licensed by CC-BY-SA 3.0: http://cgcookie.com/...x-rig-download/

Unfortunately it's not suitable for games... As Jonathan said himself: "The rig is not meant for game animations as the character is not optimized for games and many of the custom controls and such will not work in game engines. The character/rig is developed and intended as an animation learning tool."

Anyways, is the new rig already codded ingame - I mean within the skeleton.xml file?

Yes, It is not suited for game engines, but still you can learn from the bones setups and iK chains it has. It currently has handlers for fingers, facial animations, drivers and such, which is not needed for 0AD, but the main bones/basic rig functions are interesting to take a look.

I think the rig still in development by Zaggy. No in-game tested yet

• 2 months later...

Sorry I haven't been around guys. I've had no internet connection and things have been going downhill lately. 2013 isn't looking good for me. As much as I was looking forward to working on this project, I'm not going to ba able to do the amount of animating needed (if any). Once things are better for me I MAY be able to help (if you still need an animator by then). In the mean time I will still like to give my support, advice and suggestions where and when I can.

Again, sorry for not being able to help. :(

I really need to get into some animation.

If you can, you should get "The Animation Survival Kit" by Richard Williams. It's a must have for any animator, and GREAT for beginners.

• 1 year later...