Wonders, Special Buildings, and Special Projects

Most of the wonders weren't that big, remember the Great Pyramid was both the tallest and overall largest of them all and this is included as a 3D model... I think I saw the hanging gardens of Babylon in there too. Historic writers tended to overemphasise how large these things were, and even when they gave dimensions, there was no standardised unit of measurement in the ancient world and many of the units they used, the true lengths are no longer known.

As far as I'm aware, the Collosus of Rhodes would have been the largest statue anyone in the Eastern Med would have seen, but was still probably far smaller than today's Statue of Liberty.

Real dimensions aren't that important. If everything was modelled to scale, the infantry units would be so small that it would be hard to select them. So in general, buildings are a bit under-sized.

It's more important that a model looks correctly scaled on its own. And that players do get the perception that something is a wonder.

rescaling the historic wonders to game proportions is an acceptable break from reality ;)

personally, i think there should be a standard maximum width (in all directions, e.g., the base of a Wonder should be a perfect square rather than a rectangle or a circle) and a standard maximum height, with Wonders to scale with their historical counterparts (if that can be determined; as mentioned before, some units of measurement that were used to describe them are not only no longer used, but the dimensions of such aren't known either). so, for example, in-game the standard height of a wonder could be a 100 feet (that's 30 meters for our non-American members ;)) with a 50x50 ft (30x30 m) base. the Wonders would proportionately be as close to their historical counterparts as possible even if they're a little off-scale, either larger or smaller

that doesn't work very well for functionality, though. maybe there can be two editor-only eye candy buildings simulating two halves of the Colossus, one left side and one right side, which are to scale with the actual Colossus and can be placed on opposite sides of a pathway/waterway. in this way, the complete Colossus can still appear in the game in its original incarnation without obstructing any other units (the obstruction tiles would only be around the feet while the rest of the Colossus extends to the sides.

but seriously, do you want to have your units sailing under some giant bronze guy's junk?

Colossus_of_Rhodes.jpg

for gameplay, it would be much easier to have the Colossus positioned more like this:

february04_rts_05.jpg

see? grand, majestic, powerful. THAT'S something i'd want to build in my empire to signify the defeat of an invasion. build him right next to the shore and he looks out, taunting my enemies on the next island over. he's all like "What'cha gonna do about it, a**hole? I've got a hundred catapults guardin' this harbor! :yu: "

Edited by oshron
  • Like 1

that doesn't work very well for functionality, though. maybe there can be two editor-only eye candy buildings simulating two halves of the Colossus, one left side and one right side, which are to scale with the actual Colossus and can be placed on opposite sides of a pathway/waterway. in this way, the complete Colossus can still appear in the game in its original incarnation without obstructing any other units (the obstruction tiles would only be around the feet while the rest of the Colossus extends to the sides.

On the other hand, a gate is a single model with a passable hole. So if you just leave out the animation and the controls, it should be possible. I don't know how though.

Was gonna say, I'm fairly certain (or rather not me, historians are fairly certain) that the Collosus didn't actually straddle the harbour.

I like how the illustration Oshron posted seems to suggest that rather than settle with a single Collosus, ancient Rhodes was more of a collosus factory.

Edited by McAllisterw

On the other hand, a gate is a single model with a passable hole. So if you just leave out the animation and the controls, it should be possible. I don't know how though.
fair point. though the Colossus straddled the entrance to a harbor, so would such a gate even be possible gameplay wise? the idea with the two separate parts positioned together is such that it can technically be placed anywhere, over pathways OR waterways, without blocking the passage at all

incidentally, an idea just occurred to me: perhaps there could also be an aesthetics-only building showing the Colossus in a ruined state, as the historical Colossus was knocked over in an earthquake less than a hundred years after it was built and its ruins were visited by the people of the time in the same way that the Parthenon is visited today. this would be useful not only for a historical context but also for designing fictional settings. imagine a group of named characters are traveling through the desert and they pass by a ruined Colossus. it has no other bearing on the story, just a sign of a long extinct civilization that used to live in the desert, teh last remaining sign that they ever existed

though including a Colossus Gate would be another cool addition, again for situation use. it could perhaps be perched on a taller-and-thicker-than-normal gate.

RoN_Collosus.png
is this a current model for the game, or is it from something else? it looks like one of the earlier AOE games

• 1 month later...
Perhaps a wonder could be given technology to research. That or I thought it was agreed that the wonders would have an effect. The lighthouse in Alexandria for example would reveal the fog of war in water.
iirc, we had figured that buildable Wonders would all have the same three effects (for balance purposes) and that editor-only versions of all the Wonders (and some additional ones, like the Colossus) would have unique effects more closely associated with what the Wonders stood for (like the Hanging Gardens giving you a farming bonus). the skirmish-mode wonder effects were figured as Imperialism, Hegemony, and Alliance, which affect the territorial influence of yourself, your enemies, or your allies (Hegemony negatively affects them)

Mythos_Ruler came up with this, not me, just to be clear

• 4 weeks later...

Look, this are iberians monuments. All places of Iberian Peninsula.

-1: estelas de Fuentecilla del Tio Carrulo

-2: Sepulcro de Pozo Moro (10 Meters high)

-3: pilar-estela de Monforte del Cid

-4: Verraco

-5: dolmen of Menga

And there more

corral%20de%20saus%201.jpg

im774472587-3303B1E0F1-60F9-47E7-AE0C2EF135C2E2BC%5B1%5D.jpgtiempo_heroes2.jpg

004D4ELXP1_1.jpg

250px-VERRACO_DE_VILLANUEVA_DEL_CAMPILLO_2.jpg250px-Toros_de_Guisando.jpg

dolmenes-antequera.jpg

iirc, we had figured that buildable Wonders would all have the same three effects (for balance purposes) and that editor-only versions of all the Wonders (and some additional ones, like the Colossus) would have unique effects more closely associated with what the Wonders stood for (like the Hanging Gardens giving you a farming bonus). the skirmish-mode wonder effects were figured as Imperialism, Hegemony, and Alliance, which affect the territorial influence of yourself, your enemies, or your allies (Hegemony negatively affects them)

Mythos_Ruler came up with this, not me, just to be clear

Gameplay-wise, this is something that makes sense to me and would make Wonders unique to 0 A.D., using 0 A.D.'s dynamic territories to full effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone already suggested a stela as a wonder for Carthaginians, but what about the Temple of Baal and Astarte, which served as one of the first universities in antiquity? It was composed of four temple complexes or so, although it'd need a bit of imagination for that one.

Edited by Nelafix
  • Like 1