Random Map Script: Ardennes Forest

First of all: Welcome to the forums, mmayfield45!

It's amazing that someone is coming from nowhere and instantly creates such a map! :banana:

I deeply like the map, in any way. One thing is that you found an awesome solution for the map borders that were already discussed somewhere in the forums, but sadly I can't find the discussion right now. The next thing that made me smile was that this is really a map with enough forest! That's how a map should look like! But furthermore I love your way of implementing various heights and in some lower area you even placed buildings! I know it's just for eye-candy and therefore doesn't influence the gameplay, but this is a very nice idea! :victory:

Keep on working on maps like this and you will win all the maps-making competitions later! ;):worship:

@spahbod: And yes! Indeed! You've got an worthy opponent at map-making! Let the battle begin! :bomb::flex:

Edited by Almin

Looks good, but could you maybe reduce the frequency of the cliffs or at least try and make the cliffs act as long, natural walls?

Looks good! (y)

May I suggest that you move the cliffs away from the center a little, and scatter more trees around the center so it'll look even more like a forest with occasional hills.

I added the cliffs to get the kind of choke points you get in other forest maps have played. I would have used more trees to get this effect but I was getting performance issues generating the larger maps. I do agree that they look a bit overwhelming and introduce too many tight spaces. I will look into improving them - it may be that they are too jagged.

This is very good. But I suggest you remove the trees from the hilltops because they cause AI problems. Use actors instead.

I think I am already using actors for trees on the hill tops so this should be fine. :)

First of all: Welcome to the forums ....

Thanks, it is nice to see someone enjoy it!

@spahbod: And yes! Indeed! You've got an worthy opponent at map-making! Let the battle begin!

I don't think there will be some kind of war or competition for map making here. At least I am just trying to help the game by adding to it's variety.

I think I am already using actors for trees on the hill tops so this should be fine.

Sorry, I couldn't find your constants yesterday.

And waiting to see your other maps.:D

Edited by Spahbod

Hi, I really love this generated map!

It's interesting, very atmospheric and just beautiful.

I loved the huge amount of forest witch I can get lost in, or have to plan my moves to pass it or build on it.

Sadly I couldn't play for long because I got millions of JS errors (I think it's about the pathfinding) and the game started to lag like it never did before.

What I would like to suggest is making slopes a little bit more gradual, and even get some randomness in there, because now these holes and hills doesn't look so natural.

Keep on making maps :)

Sadly I couldn't play for long because I got millions of JS errors (I think it's about the pathfinding) and the game started to lag like it never did before.

Could you post these errors here please? I tried briefly to reproduce some errors on this map but didn't succeed.

The map looks nice, though it doesn't play like the aoe style black forest.

What I would like to suggest is making slopes a little bit more gradual, and even get some randomness in there, because now these holes and hills doesn't look so natural.

Yes, I have noticed the lag too :(. Some things I have noticed that slow it down:

• When the AI moves it sometimes seems to walk on top of a cliff rather than walking around it - which cannot be done so takes a long time to calculate the path. (I cannot find a way of specifying tiles as non-passable)
  • When there are a lot of workers gathering wood it seems to lag quite a bit - maybe it is slow figuring out where they can chop.

I will have a look into improving the hills to make them more natural.

Could you post these errors here please? I tried briefly to reproduce some errors on this map but didn't succeed.

The map looks nice, though it doesn't play like the aoe style black forest.

Hi quantumstate, I wanted the map to be more like the Black Forest maps but I was getting issues when I created maps which are covered in many trees (Slow to generate and some JavaScript errors about running out of memory). I am thinking of re-naming the map until I can get something more like the originals. Any name suggestions are welcome :)

Hi quantumstate, I wanted the map to be more like the Black Forest maps but I was getting issues when I created maps which are covered in many trees (Slow to generate and some JavaScript errors about running out of memory). I am thinking of re-naming the map until I can get something more like the originals. Any name suggestions are welcome :)

"Silva obscura" or "Silva incognita", latin for dark forest or unknown forest :)

Where can I find the error log?

It is the interestinglog.html file in your logs folder (~/.config/0ad/logs on linux, on windows there is an OpenLogsFolder.bat file which will take you there). It gets overwritten every game though, so if you don't have the errors now don't worry, but if you hit them again it would be nice to see them.

Yes, I have noticed the lag too :(. Some things I have noticed that slow it down:

• When the AI moves it sometimes seems to walk on top of a cliff rather than walking around it - which cannot be done so takes a long time to calculate the path. (I cannot find a way of specifying tiles as non-passable)
  • When there are a lot of workers gathering wood it seems to lag quite a bit - maybe it is slow figuring out where they can chop.

The AI's pathfinding works on the same data as the main game pathfinder so what you describe should not be a problem.

Reassigning idle workers is currently very slow with maps with lots of entities (like trees). This will be improved but is currently on hold until we get the new AI API finished.

It would be best if having large numbers of trees did not cause this problem, I don't know how feasible this is though. The main argument for renaming would be so that it doesn't break peoples expectations of what the map should look like, one suggestion would be Bohemian Forest which I think is roughly this kind of geography.

Here Are the errors (a looong list, but the two top lines repeat to the end):

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/qbot/attackMoveToLocation.js line 102 reference to undefined property this.path[0][0]

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/qbot/attackMoveToLocation.js line 102 reference to undefined property this.path[0][1]

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/common-api/utils.js line 3 reference to undefined property b[0]

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/common-api/utils.js line 4 reference to undefined property b[1]

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/qbot/attackMoveToLocation.js line 216 reference to undefined property this.path[0][0]

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/qbot/attackMoveToLocation.js line 216 reference to undefined property this.path[0][1]

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/common-api/utils.js line 3 reference to undefined property b[0]

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/common-api/utils.js line 4 reference to undefined property b[1]

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/qbot/attackMoveToLocation.js line 216 reference to undefined property this.path[0][0]

WARNING: JavaScript warning: simulation/ai/qbot/attackMoveToLocation.js line 216 reference to undefined property this.path[0][1]

I took a look at the code.

This is the line with the error:

pending.move(this.path[0][0], this.path[0][1]);

I guess a quick fix will be to check if the path exist just before calling this method, then investigating why in the first place it tries to go to an undefined path.

So looking at some line above I think (and it's a wild guess without knowing the context) that this line (two lines above):

pathsToEnemy = [this.targetPos];

Should be this:

this.paths = [this.targetPos];

Hope this helps

"Silva obscura" or "Silva incognita", latin for dark forest or unknown forest :)

Thanks ribez, but I think I am looking for something that the player can easily recognize as a heavily tree based map.

... The main argument for renaming would be so that it doesn't break peoples expectations of what the map should look like, one suggestion would be Bohemian Forest which I think is roughly this kind of geography.

I'm happy with that, the player should be able to recognize what kind of map it is without expecting it to be exactly the same play style as Black Forest :)

Here Are the errors (a looong list, but the two top lines repeat to the end):

I took a look at the code.

This is the line with the error:

pending.move(this.path[0][0], this.path[0][1]);

I guess a quick fix will be to check if the path exist just before calling this method, then investigating why in the first place it tries to go to an undefined path.

So looking at some line above I think (and it's a wild guess without knowing the context) that this line (two lines above):

pathsToEnemy = [this.targetPos];

Should be this:

this.paths = [this.targetPos];

Hope this helps

Thanks for pointing out the stupid mistake :). I also fixed the major cause of the problem, which was having this.paths = [this.targetPos]; instead of this.paths = [[this.targetPos]];, this hopefully makes the check you corrected unnecessary but I have kept it anyway because belt and braces is probably better.

How about Ardennes Forest.

http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=15562

Ahh, nice. I think l like the word Ardennes more than Bohemian. Seems to be not far from your description.

Thanks for pointing out the stupid mistake :). I also fixed the major cause of the problem, which was having this.paths = [this.targetPos]; instead of this.paths = [[this.targetPos]];, this hopefully makes the check you corrected unnecessary but I have kept it anyway because belt and braces is probably better.

Its nice to know the map is helping fix bugs ;)

• 4 weeks later...