Build environment and deployment on the Mac

Hello All,

I made it my goal to get you a double clickable app for 0AD on the Mac, and I am almost there. It all compiles into a framework in XCode, just need to finish getting the linking to work...

.. It has been a pain.

I am going the route of a hand built XCode project, so I'm not sure it fits in with your vision should how it works. Last I read you seemed to want to automate creation of the project? Anyway I could just maintain this myself in github and use it to provide you with an app that will run on a clean system, my goal!

As for the storage issue, things that the app absolutely needs should go inside the app. Things it creates and manipulates itself should go in application support, and things the user can manipulate should go in docs.

So a good app would have a basic maps, themes, scenarios bundled inside it. Space willing all maps should go in there. This way it can be drag copied to a new machine and still work. If that takes up too much space you'll need an installer to put large maps, music, etc inside Application Support.

It would be nice to have an optional 0AD folder inside the Documents folder where I could add themes/mods. I'd like to see saved games there too, so I could manipulate, copy and archive them myself.

Edited by stwf

A little note about Android, just to make sure people have it in mind if a port to this platform materializes:

1) At least one of the bundled libraries (spidermonkey) need to be patched, if using the approach I've come up with so far. I don't know how this would fit into the plans. Probably the patch can be included in the SVN and then update-workspaces.sh can apply it if instructed to target Android...

2) The filesystem on Android is different from any other platform, so all the paths need to be rethought. As far as I understand now, all apps can access the SD card (path: "/sdcard"). It might be a good idea to designate this as the place to put mods - then anyone can distribute mods through Android Market and have them install themselves in this shared space. Due to space requirements, things like game assets might also be stored on the SD card. Other things, like config and savegames, might be placed in the game app's "special data directory" - this is a directory which no other apps can access, residing in the device's internal flash memory, which is erased when the app is uninstalled.

Edited by afeder

1328899996' post='233922']

Hello All,

I made it my goal to get you a double clickable app for 0AD on the Mac, and I am almost there. It all compiles into a framework in XCode, just need to finish getting the linking to work...

.. It has been a pain.

I am going the route of a hand built XCode project, so I'm not sure it fits in with your vision should how it works. Last I read you seemed to want to automate creation of the project? Anyway I could just maintain this myself in github and use it to provide you with an app that will run on a clean system, my goal!

A hand-rolled Xcode4 project file already exists to build an OAD .app bundle.

However, as you noted it needs to be kept updated when source code files are added or deleted vs the automated Premake solution that works nicely on Windows, but poorly on Xcode project files.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15145&view=findpost&p=233049

Edited by Echelon9

A hand-rolled Xcode4 project file already exists to build an OAD .app bundle.

However, as you noted it needs to be kept updated when source code files are added or deleted vs the automated Premake solution that works nicely on Windows, but poorly on Xcode project files.

http://www.wildfireg...ndpost&p=233049

missed that! I'm downloading it now and will try it out. So what work still needs to be done on the project to produce a stand alone app?

My strategy was to make the pyrogenesis part a sub-project that builds a framework. So that might make the Premake part easier. Since Premake only needs to build the pyrogenesis subproject. Then you can keep the stuff thats nasty inside the hand made project, stuff that won't change very much.

1) At least one of the bundled libraries (spidermonkey) need to be patched, if using the approach I've come up with so far. I don't know how this would fit into the plans. Probably the patch can be included in the SVN and then update-workspaces.sh can apply it if instructed to target Android...

This is no problem, there are already plans to separate the game's libraries by OS. In other words, we'll have \libraries\win32, \libraries\osx, \libraries\linux, etc. Developers will only checkout whichever directory they need. It wouldn't be too hard to add some Android-specific patches, including whatever eases 0ad development on Android, assuming we decide to support Android.

2) The filesystem on Android is different from any other platform, so all the paths need to be rethought. As far as I understand now, all apps can access the SD card (path: "/sdcard"). It might be a good idea to designate this as the place to put mods - then anyone can distribute mods through Android Market and have them install themselves in this shared space. Due to space requirements, things like game assets might also be stored on the SD card. Other things, like config and savegames, might be placed in the game app's "special data directory" - this is a directory which no other apps can access, residing in the device's internal flash memory, which is erased when the app is uninstalled.

Sounds good to me. Maybe start a new topic or Trac ticket for this, as you get closer to a working version of the game.

OK, my libraries build script is nearly done. The game libraries directory will change to look like this: (edit: updated per Philip's corrections)

libraries

\-- source (source, headers, and build scripts shared between different OSes)

\-- cxxtest

\-- enet

\-- fcollada

\-- nvtt

\-- spidermonkey

\-- valgrind

\-- osx

\-- build-osx-libs.sh

\-- win32

\-- bundled static libs and headers for Windows builds, with wxWidgets included

"source" is used to avoid duplicating the same files on different platforms, since our NVTT and FCollada are highly modified from the official releases. Its contents are shared by Unix-likes, OS X, and Windows.

"osx" will contain only a build script, used to download all dependency source tarballs and build them in one step. 64-bit Windows and 32-bit OS X are not supported, yet.

The way of making this clear, I believe, is to have an empty "libraries" directory in SVN, with a readme that explains the further process. You will need to do a separate checkout of the libraries for your OS of choice (separate from the rest of the source code). This also has the benefit of reducing clutter and the checkout size, since Linux users won't be downloading prebuilt Windows libs. Of course BuildInstructions will be modified to reflect this change.

Every new OS X developer will run "build-osx-libs.sh", make some tea/coffee, wait maybe 10-30 minutes until the script finishes, then have all the dependencies necessary to build the game, without needing Mac Ports, though Xcode may still a dependency to get the Unix build tools (there's probably other ways to get them if someone is so inclined, but we're not supporting that yet). Currently it only builds static libs, I see this posing the least difficulties in creating a portable version of the game.

For simplicity, this will be the only build method for OS X, unless we want to complicate things with one or more of the following:

1. Support Mac Ports / other package managers - this would require a lot of conditional handling in Premake because search paths are different and pkg-config would be needed
  2. Offer prebuilt libs in libraries\osx as we do on Windows - would save some time in the build, especially on slower computers, but again requires lots of special handling in Premake and hardcoding the results of sdl-config and wx-config (similarly increases maintenance for us)
  3. Build dynamic/shared libraries instead - not difficult to do in the build script, but it does require the extra install_name_tool steps. Benefit would be people could swap different library versions in a bundle without having to rebuild the whole game, in case of incompatibilities. Is this is a reasonable concern? I don't know :)

And finally here is what the script builds:

1. SDL 1.2.15
  2. Boost 1.48.0
  3. wxWidgets 2.9.3
  4. libjpg 8c
  5. libpng 1.5.8 (the reason for this is even though it's included on Snow Leopard, its version 1.2 is ancient and the game won't build with it due to missing some API features. Seems like less effort to just build it ourselves, unless someone is familiar with libpng development)
  6. libogg 1.3.0
  7. libvorbis 1.3.2
  8. libxml2 2.7.8 (this is also bundled with SL, but I need xml2-config from a consistent version, I think, so that's why I'm building it. Other suggestions welcome)
  9. ENet 1.3.3
  10. Spidermonkey 1.8.5
  11. NVTT (custom)
  12. FCollada (custom)

All these libraries are built as 64-bit against SDK 10.6 with minimum required OS X version 10.6, since we're not supporting 10.5 yet (if ever). They are make install'ed into the local directory, so no root permissions are needed, but again this means the absolute path gets built into the *-config utilities. Even moving your build directories will require a full rebuild.

Nice work! Is this is based around premake or something else? I think your current method is good, but I would rename some folders so as other platforms, package managers, etc are support, stuff still makes sense. (I put those other features in the hierarchy too, not saying you should add them now)

Prerequisites
\-- Source
\-- Include
\-- just library headers (of course)
\-- Dynamic Lib
\-- android arm (windows 8)
\-- osx x86_64
\-- osx x86_32
\-- iOS arm (windows 8)
\-- windows x86_64
\-- windows x86_32
\-- windows arm (windows 8)
\-- Static Lib
\-- android arm (windows 8)
\-- osx x86_64
\-- osx x86_32
\-- iOS arm (windows 8)
\-- windows x86_64
\-- windows x86_32
\-- current contents of libraries
\-- windows arm (windows 8)

Edited by Sonarpulse

Nice work! Is this is based around premake or something else? I think your current method is good, but I would rename some folders so as other platforms, package managers, etc are support, stuff still makes sense. (I put those other features in the hierarchy too, not saying you should add them now)

Well the library build script has nothing to do with Premake, but of course the results are used by Premake when building the game, so I did have to modify it a bit (mostly extern_libs4.lua). Now I just need to make sure I can copy a build from Lion to Snow Leopard, if it works I'll be happy, attach the script and hopefully we can get the ball rolling on this :) I don't know if the change will be made for Alpha 9 as that's less than a month away.

I think the libraries could possibly be organized further as you say, but that's not really my goal. For instance, there's a lot of Windows dlls in binaries\system that have no use except on Windows, it would be nice to do something about that. Some day :)

Ran into a few tricky problems while working on the script. I couldn't figure out why it kept linking to the wrong version of libpng (the one bundled with OS X Lion, not from my script). It turns out a bunch of system search paths get added before any of the game's bundled library paths, and they'll be searched in that order. So I'm thinking we should move those to the end of the search list. I don't know if this causes problems on other platforms, but it shouldn't? Seems like all that's needed is factoring out the few offending lines into their own function and calling it in the correct order.

Also Premake needs a "sysroot" option to handle SDK builds, otherwise you have to define environment variables like CPPFLAGS every time you build, which is less than ideal. This would also help the Android cross-platform build if I'm not mistaken. For OS X specifically, we need to handle the minimum required version parameter, as that tells the compiler how to link certain parts of the API depending on which version of OS X introduced them. Perhaps a "min-osx-version" option, or it could be done with an environment variable, but an option is more explicit and better documented. Both "sysroot" and "min-osx-version" would be set by update-workspaces.sh for the convenience of OS X devs (defaulting to /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk and 10.6 respectively)

Will this build allow for atlas and sound available on the mac version?

Atlas - yes, sound - no. It doesn't change the sound problems, but if there's no other solution forthcoming we could always add OpenALsoft to the script.

osx (should it be named osx86_64? since it only supports Intel 64-bit)

(I don't think it should - if we add other OS X platforms later, they should probably be added to the same build script (to avoid redundancy) inside libraries/osx/, and they don't need a new top-level directory. Platform-specific compiled output could perhaps go in libraries/osx/x86_64/ if there's a real desire to support multiple platforms in parallel in a single checkout, but that sounds quite a theoretical concern to me.)

"linux" will contain only headers.

That doesn't sound right - it needs to contain the source for (if I remember correctly) nvtt, fcollada, spidermonkey, enet, and probably valgrind (only headers), and shouldn't contain anything else. It would be nice if we didn't duplicate the forked source in both libraries/osx/ and libraries/linux/ - maybe put them into a single libraries/sources/ (along with any shared-by-Linux-and-OSX custom build scripts for each).

The way of making this clear, I believe, is to have an empty "libraries" directory in SVN, with a readme that explains the further process. You will need to do a separate checkout of the libraries for your OS of choice (separate from the rest of the source code).

Could it be made part of the existing update-workspaces.{sh,bat} step? That can automatically do a "svn co" to get or update the appropriate libraries/{linux,osx} (and libraries/sources/{nvtt,...}), and then (on Linux/OSX) automatically run the library build script, so we don't need to worry about users getting it wrong or forgetting to update when we change the libraries.

(In that case, update-workspaces should probably specify an explicit SVN revision of the libraries that it wants, and we should update that specification when updating the libraries, so that people can still build old versions of the game successfully with the contemporary libraries, instead of it always requesting the latest versions. Also, need some alternative for Linux release downloads so that they bundle everything necessary, since package build scripts shouldn't perform their own network access.)

(update-workspaces should quite possibly be moved and/or renamed, perhaps to "build-setup" in the root directory or something like that, since currently it's weirdly hidden away.)

OS X [...] Currently it only builds static libs, I see this posing the least difficulties in creating a portable version of the game.

Linux packagers generally insist on dynamic linking for various reasons, but OS X development never seems to bother with anything like that, so static linking on OS X sounds reasonable and least problematic. (Static linking also means bigger executables (which I wouldn't like on Windows since it would probably make the autobuilds much bigger), and seemingly much worse linking times (which I wouldn't like on Linux since I compile the game myself on Linux and am impatient) ((unless I'm misinterpreting the cause of the slow linking of Android builds)), but those don't seem particularly important on OS X.)

By the way, my test build works on both Lion and Snow Leopard, the only thing I don't know is if it will work on Mountain Lion ;)

That doesn't sound right - it needs to contain the source for (if I remember correctly) nvtt, fcollada, spidermonkey, enet, and probably valgrind (only headers), and shouldn't contain anything else. It would be nice if we didn't duplicate the forked source in both libraries/osx/ and libraries/linux/ - maybe put them into a single libraries/sources/ (along with any shared-by-Linux-and-OSX custom build scripts for each).

You're quite right about that, and I also like the idea of a shared directory, so I'll work on that :)

Output of otool -L for pyrogenesis, test, ActorEditor, libAtlasUI, libCollada:

pyrogenesis:
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
/usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.1.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.1)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 15.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 38.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 152.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.9.0)
/usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 227.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 44.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 550.42.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation (compatibility version 300.0.0, current version 751.42.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit (compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 1038.35.0)

test:
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.1.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 152.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 15.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.1)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 533.19.4)
/usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.2.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 38.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 227.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 44.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 550.42.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation (compatibility version 300.0.0, current version 751.42.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit (compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 1038.35.0)

ActorEditor:
@executable_path/libAtlasUI.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)

libCollada.dylib:
../../../binaries/system/libCollada.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)

libAtlasUI.dylib:
@executable_path/libAtlasUI.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
/usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 533.19.4)
/usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.2.0)

Notice the minimal number of dylibs they link against :P What I don't know is if Apple plans to maintain compatibility with the 10.6 SDK going forward, nothing they do would surprise me, we'll just have to wait and see. It would be annoying if e.g. Mountain Lion ships without some system dylib we depend on.

Build script for OS X libraries, but note you can't really run it because paths have changed:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Script for acquiring and building OSX dependencies for 0 A.D.
#
# The script checks whether a source tarball exists for each
# dependency, if not it will download the correct version from
# the project's website, then it removes previous temp files,
# extracts the tarball, configures and builds the lib. The script
# should die on any errors to ease troubleshooting.
#
# make install is used to copy the compiled libs to each specific
# directory and also the config tools (e.g. sdl-config). Because
# of this, every developer must run this script at least once,
# to configure the correct lib directories. It must be run again
# if the libraries are moved.
#

set -e

die()
{
echo ERROR: $*
exit 1
}

JOBS=${JOBS:="-j5"}

# TODO: Do something about Xcode 4.2 no longer including GCC?

# TODO: Do we really want to rebuild these every time?

# Tell the compiler to use 10.6 SDK for compatibility
OSX_VERSION=${OSX_VERSION:="10.6"}
MIN_OSX_VERSION=${MIN_OSX_VERSION:="10.6"}
SYSROOT=${SYSROOT:="/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk"}

# The various libs offer inconsistent configure options, some allow
# setting sysroot and OSX-specific options, others don't. For those
# that don't, we use the following compiler flags:
CFLAGS="-isysroot $SYSROOT -mmacosx-version-min=$MIN_OSX_VERSION -arch x86_64"
CPPFLAGS="-isysroot $SYSROOT -mmacosx-version-min=$MIN_OSX_VERSION -arch x86_64"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-syslibroot,$SYSROOT -arch x86_64"

cd "$(dirname $0)"
# Now in libraries/osx/ (where we assume this script resides)

# TODO: Debug builds of any of these libs?

# ---------------------------------------------------
echo "\nBuilding SDL...\n"

# SDL 1.2.15 required for Lion support
mkdir -p sdl
cd sdl

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)"

if [ ! -e SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz ]; then
echo "Downloading source tarball"
curl -O http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz
fi

rm -rf SDL-1.2.15/
tar xzf SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz
cd SDL-1.2.15

(./configure CFLAGS="$CFLAGS" CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS" LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS" --prefix="$INSTALL_DIR" --enable-shared=no && make $JOBS && make install) || die "SDL build failed"

cd ../../

echo "\nBuilding Boost...\n"

mkdir -p boost
cd boost

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)"

if [ ! -e boost_1_48_0.tar.bz2 ]; then
curl -L -O http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.48.0/boost_1_48_0.tar.bz2/download
fi

rm -rf boost_1_48_0/
tar --bzip2 -xf boost_1_48_0.tar.bz2
cd boost_1_48_0

(./bootstrap.sh --with-libraries=filesystem,system,signals && ./b2 macosx-version="$OSX_VERSION" macosx-version-min="$MIN_OSX_VERSION" -d2 --layout=tagged --debug-configuration link=static threading=multi variant=release,debug stage) || die "Boost build failed"

# Copy files
mkdir -p ../include
cp -Rf stage/lib ../
cp -Rf boost ../include/
cd ../../

echo "\nBuilding wxWidgets...\n"

# wxWidgets is required for Atlas
# version 2.9+ is necessary for 64-bit OSX build
# with OpenGL support

# TODO: This build takes ages, anything we can exlude?
mkdir -p wxwidgets
cd wxwidgets

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)"

if [ ! -e wxWidgets-2.9.3.tar.bz2 ]; then
curl -L -O http://download.sourceforge.net/wxwindows/wxWidgets-2.9.3.tar.bz2
fi

rm -rf wxWidgets-2.9.3
tar --bzip2 -xf wxWidgets-2.9.3.tar.bz2
cd wxWidgets-2.9.3

mkdir -p build-release
cd build-release
(../configure --with-macosx-sdk="$SYSROOT" --with-macosx-version-min="$MIN_OSX_VERSION" --prefix="$INSTALL_DIR" --disable-shared --enable-unicode --with-cocoa --with-opengl && make $JOBS && make install) || die "wxWidgets build failed"

cd ../../../

echo "\nBuilding libjpg...\n"

mkdir -p libjpg
cd libjpg

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)"

if [ ! -e jpegsrc.v8c.tar.gz ]; then
curl -O http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v8c.tar.gz
fi

rm -rf jpeg-8c
tar xzf jpegsrc.v8c.tar.gz
cd jpeg-8c

(./configure --with-sysroot="$SYSROOT" --prefix="$INSTALL_DIR" --enable-shared=no && make $JOBS && make install) || die "libjpg build failed"

cd ../../

echo "\nBuilding libpng...\n"

# Even though libpng is provided in the SDK, the 10.6 bundled version
# is the ancient 1.2 which lacks functions we use like
# png_set_longjmp_fn, so it seems easier to provide it ourselves
mkdir -p libpng
cd libpng

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)"

if [ ! -e libpng-1.5.8.tar.gz ]; then
curl -L -O http://download.sourceforge.net/libpng/libpng-1.5.8.tar.gz
fi

rm -rf libpng-1.5.8
tar xzf libpng-1.5.8.tar.gz
cd libpng-1.5.8

(./configure --with-sysroot="$SYSROOT" --prefix="$INSTALL_DIR" --enable-shared=no && make $JOBS && make install) || die "libpng build failed"

cd ../../

echo "\nBuilding libogg...\n"

# Dependency of vorbis
# we can install them in the same directory for convenience
mkdir -p libogg
mkdir -p vorbis

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)/vorbis"

cd libogg

if [ ! -e libogg-1.3.0.tar.gz ]
then
curl -O http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/ogg/libogg-1.3.0.tar.gz
fi

rm -rf libogg-1.3.0
tar xzf libogg-1.3.0.tar.gz
cd libogg-1.3.0

(./configure --with-sysroot="$SYSROOT" --prefix="$INSTALL_DIR" --enable-shared=no && make $JOBS && make install) || die "libogg build failed"

cd ../../

echo "\nBuilding libvorbis...\n"

cd vorbis

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)"

if [ ! -e libvorbis-1.3.2.tar.bz2 ]; then
curl -O http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/vorbis/libvorbis-1.3.2.tar.bz2
fi

rm -rf libvorbis-1.3.2
tar --bzip2 -xf libvorbis-1.3.2.tar.bz2
cd libvorbis-1.3.2

(./configure CFLAGS="$CFLAGS" CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS" LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS" --prefix="$INSTALL_DIR" --enable-shared=no --with-ogg="$INSTALL_DIR" && make $JOBS && make install) || die "libvorbis build failed"

cd ../../

echo "\nBuilding libxml2...\n"

mkdir -p libxml2
cd libxml2

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)"

if [ ! -e libxml2-2.7.8.tar.gz ]; then
curl -O ftp://xmlsoft.org/libxml2/libxml2-2.7.8.tar.gz
fi

rm -rf libmxl2-2.7.8
tar xzf libxml2-2.7.8.tar.gz
cd libxml2-2.7.8

(./configure CFLAGS="$CFLAGS" CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS" LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS" --prefix="$INSTALL_DIR" --enable-shared=no && make $JOBS && make install) || die "libxml2 build failed"

cd ../../

# The following libraries are shared on different
# OSes and may be customized, so we build and install
# them from bundled source
echo "\nBuilding Spidermonkey...\n"
pushd ../source/spidermonkey/

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)"

rm -f lib/*.a
rm -rf js-1.8.5
tar xzf js185-1.0.0.tar.gz
cd js-1.8.5/js/src

# We want separate debug/release versions of the library, so change their install name in the Makefile
sed -i.bak -e 's/\(STATIC_LIBRARY_NAME),mozjs185-\)\(\$(SRCREL_ABI_VERSION)\)\{0,1\}/\1ps-debug/' Makefile.in

mkdir -p build-debug
cd build-debug
(../configure --with-macos-sdk=${SYSROOT} --enable-macos-target=${MIN_OSX_VERSION} --prefix=${INSTALL_DIR} --disable-tests --disable-shared-js --enable-debug --disable-optimize && make ${JOBS} && make install) || die "Spidermonkey build failed"
cd ..

sed -i.bak -e 's/\(STATIC_LIBRARY_NAME),mozjs185-\)\(ps-debug\)\{0,1\}/\1ps-release/' Makefile.in

mkdir -p build-release
cd build-release
(../configure --with-macos-sdk=${SYSROOT} --enable-macos-target=${MIN_OSX_VERSION} --prefix=${INSTALL_DIR} --disable-tests --disable-shared-js && make ${JOBS} && make install) || die "Spidermonkey build failed"
cd ..

# Remove the install name changes to avoid spurious SVN diffs
sed -i.bak -e 's/\(STATIC_LIBRARY_NAME),mozjs185-\)\(ps-release\)\{0,1\}/\1$(SRCREL_ABI_VERSION)/' Makefile.in

popd

echo "\nBuilding ENet...\n"
pushd ../source/enet/

INSTALL_DIR="$(pwd)"

pushd src
(./configure CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" CPPFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS}" LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}" --prefix=${INSTALL_DIR} --enable-shared=no && make ${JOBS} && make install) || die "ENet build failed"
popd

popd

# NVTT - no install
echo "\nBuilding NVTT...\n"
pushd ../source/nvtt/src

rm -rf build
mkdir -p build

pushd build
(cmake .. -DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT=${SYSROOT} -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -G "Unix Makefiles" && make clean && make nvtt ${JOBS}) || die "NVTT build failed"
popd

mkdir -p ../lib
cp build/src/nv*/libnv*.a ../lib/
cp build/src/nvtt/squish/libsquish.a ../lib/

popd

# FCollada - no install
echo "\nBuilding FCollada...\n"
pushd ../source/fcollada/src

rm -rf output
# The Makefile refers to pkg-config for libxml2, but we
# don't have that (replace with xml2-config instead)
sed -i.bak -e 's/pkg-config libxml-2.0/xml2-config/' Makefile
make $JOBS || die "FCollada build failed"
# Undo Makefile change
sed -i.bak -e 's/xml2-config/pkg-config libxml-2.0/' Makefile

popd

By default, it builds against OS X 10.6 SDK with minimum required OS X version 10.6 (what this means: only system libraries available on Snow Leopard or later are linked. Further, you will likely get compile errors if you try building on 10.5. Changing these variables and it might work. However, the minimum version also tells the compiler how to link system functions: for 10.6 or earlier functions they are linked at compile-time, i.e. "strong linking", but 10.7 and later functions (assuming you changed the SDK) are linked at run-time, i.e. "weak linking". We don't handle that distinction yet, nor do we have much cause to, we'll just need to be aware of this).

Because I was so tantalizingly close, I made a quick app bundle script which does all the things needed for a release. I'm sure it can be improved, but at least this way we might have something in place for Alpha 9 like we originally planned:

(note: this script won't work for you, because I've changed libraries paths and Premake scripts, it's just to show what's involved :P Very much subject to change)

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will build an OSX app bundle for 0 A.D.
#

die()
{
echo ERROR: $*
exit 1
}

cd "$(dirname $0)"
# Now in build/workspaces/ (where we assume this script resides)

SYSROOT="/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk"
MIN_OSX_VERSION="10.6"

BUNDLE_OUTPUT=${BUNDLE_OUTPUT:="$(pwd)/0ad.app"}
BUNDLE_CONTENTS=$BUNDLE_OUTPUT/Contents
BUNDLE_BIN=$BUNDLE_CONTENTS/MacOS
BUNDLE_RESOURCES=$BUNDLE_CONTENTS/Resources
BUNDLE_FRAMEWORKS=$BUNDLE_CONTENTS/Frameworks
BUNDLE_PLUGINS=$BUNDLE_CONTENTS/PlugIns
BUNDLE_SHAREDSUPPORT=$BUNDLE_CONTENTS/SharedSupport

# Unique identifier string for this bundle (reverse-DNS style)
BUNDLE_IDENTIFIER="com.wildfiregames.0ad"
# Minimum version of OSX on which the bundle will run
BUNDLE_MIN_OSX_VERSION="${MIN_OSX_VERSION}.0"

JOBS=${JOBS:="-j5"}

# TODO: Do we really want to renegerate everything? (consider if one task fails)

# Clean and update workspaces
echo "\nGenerating workspaces\n"

# TODO: Should these options be passed directly to Premake?
(./clean-workspaces.sh && SYSROOT="$SYSROOT" MIN_OSX_VERSION="$MIN_OSX_VERSION" ./update-workspaces.sh --macosx-bundle="$BUNDLE_IDENTIFIER") || die "update-workspaces.sh failed!"

pushd gcc

echo "\nBuilding game\n"
(make clean && make ${JOBS}) || die "Game build failed!"

popd

# Create bundle structure
echo "\nCreating bundle folders\n"
rm -rf ${BUNDLE_OUTPUT}
mkdir -p ${BUNDLE_BIN}
mkdir -p ${BUNDLE_FRAMEWORKS}
mkdir -p ${BUNDLE_PLUGINS}
mkdir -p ${BUNDLE_RESOURCES}
mkdir -p ${BUNDLE_SHAREDSUPPORT}

pushd ../../binaries/system

# Run test to confirm all is OK
echo "\nRunning tests\n"
./test || die "Test(s) failed!"

# Build archive(s) - don't archive the _test.* mods
# (and we should exclude internal)

pushd ../data/mods
archives=""
for modname in [a-zA-Z0-9]*
do
if [ "${modname}" = "internal" ]; then continue; fi
archives="${archives} ${modname}"
done
popd

for modname in $archives
do
echo "\nBuilding ${modname} archive\n"
ARCHIVEBUILD_INPUT="$(pwd)/../data/mods/${modname}"
ARCHIVEBUILD_OUTPUT="${BUNDLE_RESOURCES}/data/mods/${modname}"

# For some reason the output directory has to exist?
mkdir -p ${ARCHIVEBUILD_OUTPUT}

(./pyrogenesis -archivebuild=${ARCHIVEBUILD_INPUT} -archivebuild-output=${ARCHIVEBUILD_OUTPUT}/${modname}.zip) || die "Archive build failed!"
done

popd

# Copy binaries
echo "\nCopying binaries\n"
# Only pyrogenesis for now, until we find a way to load
# multiple binaries from one app bundle
# TODO: Would be nicer if we could set this path in premake
cp ../../binaries/system/pyrogenesis ${BUNDLE_BIN}

# Copy libs
echo "\nCopying libs\n"
# TODO: Should probably make it so these libraries get built and
# placed automatically
cp -v ../../binaries/system/lib*.dylib ${BUNDLE_FRAMEWORKS}

# Copy data
echo "\nCopying non-archived game data\n"
cp -v ../resources/0ad.icns ${BUNDLE_RESOURCES}
cp -R -v ../../binaries/data/config ${BUNDLE_RESOURCES}/data/
cp -R -v ../../binaries/data/tools ${BUNDLE_RESOURCES}/data/

# Create Info.plist
echo "\nCreating Info.plist\n"
alias PlistBuddy=/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy
INFO_PLIST="${BUNDLE_CONTENTS}/Info.plist"

PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundleName string 0 A.D." ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundleIdentifier string ${BUNDLE_IDENTIFIER}" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundleVersion string 0.0.0" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundlePackageType string APPL" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundleSignature string none" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundleExecutable string pyrogenesis" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundleShortVersionString string 0.0.0" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundleDevelopmentRegion string English" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion string 6.0" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :CFBundleIconFile string 0ad" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :LSMinimumSystemVersion string ${BUNDLE_MIN_OSX_VERSION}" ${INFO_PLIST}
PlistBuddy -c "Add :NSHumanReadableCopyright string Copyright © 2012 Wildfire Games" ${INFO_PLIST}

echo "\nBundle complete! Located in ${BUNDLE_OUTPUT}"

As you can see the steps to creating a bundle are:

• Clean and generate workspaces with Premake
  • Build game
  • Confirm tests succeed
  • Create standard app bundle directories
  • Run archive builder on public mod (precaches XML, textures, and COLLADA models)
  • Copy files into the bundle (shared libs into Contents\Frameworks, data into Contents\Resources, binary into Contents\MacOS) - for the reasons see Apple's Bundle programming guide
  • Create Contents\Info.plist using PlistBuddy - this is just an XML property list file that contains info about the bundle

Almost everything is done on the command line with the exception of creating the 0ad icon (icns seems to be the only format OS X recognizes and I created it using http://iconverticons.com from our crappy low resolution 0ad.png) and compressing the bundle into a dmg. I'll investigate whether/how these steps can also be performed on the command line. Final package ends up being around 375MB and I don't know anywhere to upload this for testing :( I tried copying the bundle from Lion to different locations on Snow Leopard, and it ran perfectly including Atlas.

As far as making the bundle paths work, I've got a patch that adds some sysdep code so we can detect if the binary is in a valid bundle (tests if the bundle identifier is "com.wildfiregames.0ad") and a few functions to get the internal Resources and Frameworks paths (unrelated to previous paths patch). Paths are not hardcoded into the build unlike most of the solutions used previously.

Could it be made part of the existing update-workspaces.{sh,bat} step? That can automatically do a "svn co" to get or update the appropriate libraries/{linux,osx} (and libraries/sources/{nvtt,...}), and then (on Linux/OSX) automatically run the library build script, so we don't need to worry about users getting it wrong or forgetting to update when we change the libraries.

(In that case, update-workspaces should probably specify an explicit SVN revision of the libraries that it wants, and we should update that specification when updating the libraries, so that people can still build old versions of the game successfully with the contemporary libraries, instead of it always requesting the latest versions. Also, need some alternative for Linux release downloads so that they bundle everything necessary, since package build scripts shouldn't perform their own network access.)

(update-workspaces should quite possibly be moved and/or renamed, perhaps to "build-setup" in the root directory or something like that, since currently it's weirdly hidden away.)

That's a bit more complicated than what I've got working now, but it sounds like it would make the build process slightly less painful. That would be more of an incremental improvement than an initial change. I don't think it will ever be foolproof, compiling software is hard and at least some technical knowledge is needed :P

Linux packagers generally insist on dynamic linking for various reasons, but OS X development never seems to bother with anything like that, so static linking on OS X sounds reasonable and least problematic. (Static linking also means bigger executables (which I wouldn't like on Windows since it would probably make the autobuilds much bigger), and seemingly much worse linking times (which I wouldn't like on Linux since I compile the game myself on Linux and am impatient) ((unless I'm misinterpreting the cause of the slow linking of Android builds)), but those don't seem particularly important on OS X.)

I haven't noticed linking taking longer than usual, though I do run the build with "-j5" :) The binary size is about 14MB using the static libs, so not huge but not small either.

I think we can get the SVN or release version in the plist file as well.

Yes, the version keys should be strings formatted like "X.Y.Z", but I have no idea how we want to format release numbers.

For anyone interested, Apple has good documentation on the Info.plist keys here and a list of recommended keys here - I added the recommend ones.

Is sound working in this build?

Sound is a totally separate issue from building and deploying bundles for OS X :) Nothing works in this bundle that wouldn't already work without a bundle. Not saying it won't be fixed, but you have to take one thing at a time.

Almost everything is done on the command line with the exception of creating the 0ad icon (icns seems to be the only format OS X recognizes and I created it using http://iconverticons.com from our crappy low resolution 0ad.png) and compressing the bundle into a dmg. I'll investigate whether/how these steps can also be performed on the command line. Final package ends up being around 375MB and I don't know anywhere to upload this for testing :( I tried copying the bundle from Lion to different locations on Snow Leopard, and it ran perfectly including Atlas.

Bro, please let me get my hands on that! I don't care how big the file size may be, Geek needs updates! Like I've said before, I would take testing 0 AD over doing my boring history homework any day. (It's a win-win situation :))In the meantime, I have a pretty decent icon file.

.torrent? Or, you could break it into smaller archive files and upload to zippyshare.com. You don't need an account, but file size is limited to 200MB.

Actually, now that I think about, would distributing the various alphas as a .torrent be possible? (with the current DL server as a web seed) Seems a good idea all around in terms of bandwidth and speed.

Edited by gudo

Bro, please let me get my hands on that! I don't care how big the file size may be, Geek needs updates! Like I've said before, I would take testing 0 AD over doing my boring history homework any day. (It's a win-win situation :))In the meantime, I have a pretty decent icon file.

Nice icon! I'm using it now :D In return I'll provide you with an app bundle: http://hotfile.com/dl/147504648/be7bb7e/0ad-r11112-osx.dmg.html

(Edit: Fixed app bundle with correct icon, new link)

That's great, historic_bruno. Very nice work :)

Just one question: you seem to export the collada models directly, ie not use the library... Any reason for it?

Edit: just tried it. Downloaded, started from the dmg (which sometimes can cause bugs), and everything worked fine on 10.7.2 on a MacBook Air. You've really done a great work.

Edited by wraitii