A noobs guide to beating qbot

dinosoep

intro

Hello, I'm going to try to help beginners (like myself) become better at this game as I've seen a lot of people say they're having problems defeating qbot.

This guide only works at this very moment and will most likely break/become useless when other features get added to the game.

It does however include a few steps I find important and will help you in your overall gameplay :)

I'm sorry for my english, it is not my native language but I'll try to keep things clear.

Create a new game in Oasis and go as persians (default).

setting up the forward base

As you can see you start with 4 spearmen (I don't know a single name so I'll simply try to describe what they do).

screenshot0002.png

Let one of them gather all the treasures and send the other three to a forward place where you are going to set up a second base. If he's done gathering let him join the three others.

Que 5 archers and put them to wood, qeue 10 female citizens and send them to food.

A forward base is very handy as your military units will be produced closer to the enemy town center.

The middle of the map also has a lot of wood resources so your economy will benefit from your military attack base.

I like this place to set it up:

screenshot0003.png

Try to produce as many archers/spearman in your main base while your forward base is building. put them all to wood.

That army at your main base is meant to protect your female citizens from an enemy raid.

When your forward base is completed try to get as much army out of it as possible and task it on wood to. If you have problems with population then create some houses with the army at your main base.

Setting up a fort

Task 5 archers/spearman in your main base to stone and gather till you have 500. Put them back to wood now.

At your forward base put a fortress up as quickly as possible and qeue 2 rams. in the mean time try to keep producing military.

At your main base produce some more females if you see food is running low and make some more houses.

Finish it

When the 2 rams are produced, attack his bases. With your infantry try to focus on killing his infantry and send your rams to his town center.

screenshot0005.png

Notice the game is not over yet.

Keep producing military at both bases because he will attack you while you are attacking his base.

if the army he uses to attack your base is too big to handle, garissan all your miltary units in your town center and create 10 archers. When they are ready release all your military units allong with the new troops.

screenshot0006.png

When that army is killed, enjoy your victory

screenshot0007.png

Nice guide :)

I have a suggestion: Maybe you can playtest with other strategies and post them here so newbies will have a variety of choices should one particular strategy didn't work for them? Mine for example actually involved no forward base, but instead trying to build a fort as soon as possible and build rams from there, then a send them along with all my troops to the enemy base and flatten it. :)

I have a suggestion: Maybe you can playtest with other strategies and post them here so newbies will have a variety of choices should one particular strategy didn't work for them? Mine for example actually involved no forward base, but instead trying to build a fort as soon as possible and build rams from there, then a send them along with all my troops to the enemy base and flatten it. :)

yes, I was planning to create some more guides. This is the first one I did because it resembles my aoe3 play strategy in some sense.

I'm going to do a variety of things I'm used to do in other rts games and see how it works out in this game.

I'm just a bit afraid of the aging system going to mes up most of the things I do :P

For the 10 minute challenge, I think it's good to send a couple of small parties ahead of the rams in order to keep qBot busy and prevent it from sending an attack party of its own into parts unknown. Best to pin all qBot's units in its base so when you send in your final waves you can make quick work of them, instead of hunting them down into the Shroud of Darkness. (y)

For the 10 minute challenge, I think it's good to send a couple of small parties ahead of the rams in order to keep qBot busy and prevent it from sending an attack party of its own into parts unknown. Best to pin all qBot's units in its base so when you send in your final waves you can make quick work of them, instead of hunting them down into the Shroud of Darkness. (y)

For the 10 minute challenge you get way better times without forward base but simply creating a fort immediatly and producing 2 rams asap and sending all your wood gatherers (my army) with them. It'll be so fast qbot hasn't even created an army to raid you :) (this is actually blatantly stolen from you mythos :P )

At least that's how I've got under 10 minutes.

Yet I still prefer the forward base because I hope to ever play multiplayer and there you can not assume your first attack will be succesfull. therefore it is important to be able to keep having a pretty strong economy at the cost of a delayed rush.

This will change however with the phases. I really want them :)

I'm not really sure, but most of the time when I send my army to his base, his main army has already en route to my base. So when I'm destroying his defending force with my own soldiers and flatten his buildings with rams, the enemy main army is too busy in a fruitless attempt to take down my fortress. They were all killed before I destroyed his base. ;)

well, here goes another strat which doesn't make use of a forward base

setting up a fort

gather all given treasures with only 2 citizens. you should immediatly have enough resources to start building a fort. built it in front of your city center.

Make 5 archers, 10 womens and some spearmans. If population becomes a problem, create a house or two.

screenshot0010.png

when your fort is up, try to create as soon as possible 2 rams.

attack

try to keep constant archer production while your 2 rams are building. when they are created attack with all your wood gatherers and the two rams.

screenshot0011.png

while you are attacking, keep on producing new archers/spearman and put maybe even some woman on wood. This is just in case your attack fails (unlikely) or if he raids you (you were too slow :P)

attack his town center with the two rams and use your arches to destroy his army/workers

Enjoy your victory :D

screenshot0012.png

Edited by dinosoep