Phoenician Purple

Quiiliitiila

Hello!

I've just discovered this game-in-progress and I love it! Well... I haven't gotten it to work on my Mac yet, but I will.

Anyway, one of the first things I noticed was the faction The Carthaginian Empire, as is described in the faction info the Carthaginians were Phoenician. So my question is: Where's their famous purple? All of the screenshots I've seen thusfar show an overwhelming sea of blue for all of the units pictured. Is this because there are no other colors or is it intentional?

Thanks! I look forward to begin playing soon,

Quiiliitiila

Hello!

I've just discovered this game-in-progress and I love it! Well... I haven't gotten it to work on my Mac yet, but I will.

Anyway, one of the first things I noticed was the faction The Carthaginian Empire, as is described in the faction info the Carthaginians were Phoenician. So my question is: Where's their famous purple? All of the screenshots I've seen thusfar show an overwhelming sea of blue for all of the units pictured. Is this because there are no other colors or is it intentional?

Thanks! I look forward to begin playing soon,

Quiiliitiila

The blue you see is player color. :) Purple is one of our player colors, so putting a bunch of purple on our units would conflict.

This give me an idea: How about a default team colour for each faction? Maybe purple for Carthaginians, red for Romans and Hellenes, i'm not sure about other factions though. These colours will further depicts the factions in antiquity time period. Of course the players can still change his team colour if he wishes.

^ Sounds good to me if we can clearly attribute certain colours to all civs. We could also have different shades of red if there are two or more Roman players for example.

It might be a plus for historical accuracy; however, we'd have to let the players decide otherwise if they wish. I think most people would prefer blue as it has become sort of a convention in the RTS genre.

I don't think we should/will do specific colors for certain civilizations. The main reason is so that we have as many different colors as possible for each match so it's easy to tell units/buildings from different players apart. Limiting the choice to just a few shades per civilization would really harm maps with more than one player of the same civilization. It's possible to change in Atlas though, so for custom skirmishes it's very much possible to have the colors mean things.

Will it be possible to choose your color on maps that will allow it? It could be like the map editor chooser where any color can be choosen. I liked this feature in Warcraft 3, but only about 12 colors could be picked from.

The reason for restricting the range of colors is so that people cannot pick colors which look too similar. I think it is preferable to limit the color picker for this reason otherwise you would somethings get annoying situations in multiplayer with little benefit.

I think for Atlas having the ability for unlimited colors is fine. If people can't be reasonable in their color choices it's up to them, I think the benefits are greater. For default skirmishes/random maps I do think the choice should be limited though.

Right. For custom maps, the designer can choose any color. For skirmish random maps, then there should be a list of default colors.

• 1 year later...