4 to 3 Resources

MagusOfMirrors

In Age of Empires 2, players were forced to build at least 2 mines if they were teching-a stone mine and a gold mine. Age of Empires definitely had flaws, and one was the trouble of managing too many resources. I still dislike the prospect managing many different resources. I propose that the Stone and Metal resources be merged together into 1 "mineral" resource so players wont have to worry about too many different resources. This way, players can build both "stone" and "metal" units with only one resource and the game will still make perfect sense. I feel this game can take some fun elements from AOE, but I wouldn't play this game if bad elements were reincorporated.

Edited by MagusOfMirrors

Why did people complain about the removal of stone? And what kind of RTS is 0 a.d. supposed to be (action-packed? micro-heavy? civ-style?)? Oh, and I am new to big projects (did smaller personal ones to learn C++), so 0 a.d. seems a little overwhelming to absorb in(quite a few files, not because I don't understand the conceptsnerd.gif)! What do I do first to get used to the code and find out what every file does (give me good starting points).

• 3 weeks later...

So we would then make walls and swords from "minerals"? That would be quite weird. Better solution could be that there is just big bunch of rock and when its mined, it gives iron and stone. So there would be still 4 resources but getting them is bit different.

Edited by Linux_Eki

It's in my opinion not even difficult to handle, it's just that nowadays people don't think anymore while playing. Boys, boys you should really play one of the games of the real AoE-series (before AoE3)!

edit: One last thing: If we reduce the number of resources we will end up like AoE 3 or Farmville or even worse, and that's really something that no one wants! :throw-up:

Edited by Almin

People have said many reasons to keep the current resource system, I just want to add that one beautiful thing about an open source game is that you can modify it without any restriction, so if you have coding skills you can make for yourself a customed version of the game with just 3 types of resource. Personally I don't think this suggestion will make it into the mainline game.