0 A.D. Game Guide ideas

asmartgoat

Hi,

Over the next week i'll be updating the 0A.D. Game guide as I have more time for this now, have a view here: Direct Download (no registration required)

Please do have a read, it's hopefully quite good now.

Please suggest any improvements that can be made, i'm not sure what I can do but I'll trawl for more information on units and probably restructure section 9 because it is a terrible terrible mess.

Thanks,

asmartgoat

Luke

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">I'd do like this suggests, as in "Etc etc 0 A.D.? Etc etc 0 A.D.! Etc etc 0 A.D. Etc etc."<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">(The space after the "0" is critical in any case :))

Alright, agreed.

Also check out binaries\data\mods\public\art\textures\ui\session\portraits\emblems for some faction emblems you can use in the PDF.

Awesome, i'll have a look in there today.

@asmartgoat:

Edited the title to put a space in it. Hope you don't mind. :)

haha, yeah thanks. wink.gif

Nice work you're doing. Probably would use higher resolution logos at the front though.

Yeah, the problem is the highest resolution logo was 400x200, but i'll download the svg and resize that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Some minor things:

The game is developed in C++, not C.

For the operating systems, do we really still support Windows 2000? I thought we added something/some dependency a year or two ago that made at least Windows XP required. I could be wrong on that one though, so don't change anything just on my suspicion. ;)

How to start 0 A.D. As long as you have installed an Alpha (and unless it doesn't differ between OS versions) the way to start 0 A.D. would be: Start-->All programs (or something similar, don't have an English version of Windows installed, so the wording might be different)-->0 A.D. alpha-->0 A.D.

Feedback section: It would be helpful if you mentioned that if people want to give more in-depth feedback, or get help solving any possible issues, it would be better to go to the forums. The feedback messages aren't checked as often, and most importantly there's no way for us to get back to the users in question to offer more help or ask for clarifications etc.

2.3.1 Single Player. Under "Map Filter" you say the engine is called Pyrogenisis, the correct spelling is Pyrogenesis

Also in that section you can feel free to mention the additional options you can set for random map games.

4.0 Units. There is a started sentence: "You can read more about the", which seems to need some continuation :)

4.1.2 Citizen soldiers. "It is important to notice that advanced building can only be built by citizen soldiers." advanced building-->advanced buildings

A very minor thing, but it's nice to be consistent: it's up to you whether you want to capitalize Citizen Soldiers etc, but I'd say do it the same way all the time. One way would be to capitalize it the first time it's included and then not (apart from the first word when it's at the start of a sentence of course ;) 8-) ).

4.1.5 Navy. Probably easier to explain by just saying it's the ships :)

"Wood can only be gathered from trees, if you cant see many trees around you. Send a scout or other fast unit to go looking for some in the shroud of darkness (also known as the Fog-of-War)." Two things, first a very small thing: I would write the part from "from trees" to "Send a scout" to: "from trees. If you can't see many trees around you send a scout" etc. Second, the Shroud of Darkness and Fog of War are two different things. The Shroud of Darkness is the dark area that covers areas that you haven't explored yet, the Fog of War is the grey fog covering the areas of the map which are already explored, but which is not in line of sight of any of your units/buildings.

When we're talking about resources, don't forget to add some info about bartering which will be included in Alpha 8 :) I know you haven't yet updated it for Alpha 8, but I'm just mentioning it here so you don't forget it :)

6.1 Training units. It might be a good idea to mention that you can train units in batches of five/any number divisible by five by pressing the Shift key one or more times when starting the training. It costs the same as training them one by one, but it is faster to train five at a time than one by one five times. It of course still takes longer to train five units than one of course though, so it's not necessarily the best in the beginning of the game.

6.2 Constructing buildings "Female soldiers"--> Female Citizens (they are after all working units rather than fighting units ;) )

7.1 Rushing. "At the start of a game, during first few minutes"--> "At the start of a game, during the first few minutes".

7.2 Booming. "Actions: At the beginning, focus on a better economy, and make enough female citizens to have a total of 15 female-citizens in the beginning". First a very minor thing, for consistency I suggest removing the hyphen between female and citizens. Second, it's generally not a good idea to just create a lot of female citizens in the beginning as they are not as good at gathering other things than food from berries and farms. (I think they are slower at building as well.) Their low cost of course still make them important in the beginning, I just think it's important not to only create female citizens (especially since that makes you more vulnerable ;) ).

Turtling and Ambush, the final section of each: "But don't be tempted to send troops from your backup base to the base your losing." "base your losing"-->"base you're losing"

Overall some really nice work, hope you'll keep it up (y)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Over the next week i'll be updating the 0A.D. Game guide as I have more time for this now, have a view here: Direct Download (no registration required)

Please do have a read, it's hopefully quite good now.

Please suggest any improvements that can be made, i'm not sure what I can do but I'll trawl for more information on units and probably restructure section 9 because it is a terrible terrible mess.

Thanks,

asmartgoat

Luke

The content looks good, but there is a bunch of minor style and language issues I'd like to fix. Is there a source for this thing?