• No
  2. 2. Chinese

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more civs the better, I think. I mean, Age of Empires always had plenty of civs. I never felt even close to being overwhelmed.

0 A.D. civs are a bit different to Age of Empires. In AoE you had the same units shared between civs, with each civ only having a subset. In 0 A.D. the civs will be more unique, each having their own sets of units, although there are lots of similarities like spearmen and archers. I still think lots of civs are good, but we need to be careful when comping with other games that the analogy is accurate. e.g. if Starcraft had 12 civs as unique as the current ones (if that would even be possible) that would probably be overwhelming.

my general point was to give more variety to the game. historicity aside, dont you think it would be fun to play a game where historically accurate mayans, romans, huns, and indians to all wage war against each other at the same time? admittedly, three of these four civs or rough equivalents to them were all in AOK, but lets face it, AOK wasnt as accurate as it could have been (though was still quite fun). in my own case, i had thought it would be fun to recreate scenarios from several other RTS games in 0ad, like maybe the greek campaign from Empire Earth being completely redone in 0ad since it matches perfectly for that timespan, or perhaps the attila campaign from AOK

An Indian civ would make more sense than the Chinese as an addition to Part I. Why? Simply, there was more meaningful contact (direct trade; wars between Acheamenid Persia/Macedon/Selucids and assorted Indian states) than with the Chinese. And, in the likely event that there'll be a campaign based off Alexander's conquests, then there'll likely be Indian units floating round in the editor anyway.

I'd like more to add more (different) units/buildings to each civ than to add more civs with less content. Yeah, in both AoE, AoK and AoEIII the factions were almost the same (AoE3 had less units and some were shared, so they could have different models, but it felt pretty much the same civs). Starcraft and AoM had only 3 civs, but they were very different between them, so it rarely was a problem.

One thing I did not like about AOE3:The Asian Dynasties is that the Chinese, for instance, had something like 20 different units. I like units with defined roles. If units are doubled up (say, 2 different citizen-swordsmen), then there needs to be a good reason.

We certainly don't do anything like that. In fact, we've reduced the number of units we had originally intended to include by combining the crossbowman and the chu ko nu into different rank states of the infantry archer.

I'd like more to add more (different) units/buildings to each civ than to add more civs with less content. Yeah, in both AoE, AoK and AoEIII the factions were almost the same (AoE3 had less units and some were shared, so they could have different models, but it felt pretty much the same civs). Starcraft and AoM had only 3 civs, but they were very different between them, so it rarely was a problem.

What other types of buildings would you have in mind? Personally, I'm under the impression that our building set is fairly comprehensive in function.

personally, i think it would be good for scenario design if some (for want of a better word) less-distinct peoples could be simulated with a few editor-only unique units and buildings and perhaps a reskinning technology which visually changes units (so, for example, hellenes/romans could be "reskinned" to SIMULATE the etruscans)

personally, i think it would be good for scenario design if some (for want of a better word) less-distinct peoples could be simulated with a few editor-only unique units and buildings and perhaps a reskinning technology which visually changes units (so, for example, hellenes/romans could be "reskinned" to SIMULATE the etruscans)

Egypt Pre Hellenic, or Babylon,or Hittite Empire are more interesting than Etruscans.

Egypt Pre Hellenic, or Babylon,or Hittite Empire are more interesting than Etruscans.

They're kind of out of the timeline set for 0 AD (500 BCE-1 BCE). And Part 2 should be set for 1 CE-500 CE.

EDIT: Not that I think they'll ever be part of 0 AD. Its very mod-able, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone adds them eventually.

Edited by Cassador_Chris

It tends to be easier to stay active and motivated when we have fewer responsibilities. The great majority of the team are students, so naturally we have a lot more time to spare during the summer and on breaks. Simply put, there are four ways in which we could be spending our time:

Studying

Socializing

Sleeping

Developing

You get to pick 3. Naturally, game development often falls by the wayside (because nobody really wants to be a hermit). The good news is, it's Christmas break, so there's a possibility you may see something from us in the next month. Stay tuned.

On spot :P

Sarmatians.

Yes, personally I think Sarmatians should be a faction in Part 2 instead of one of the two Roman factions. Their history ranges from 6-5 BC to 4 AD so it'll fit in the scope of both Part 1 and Part 2 too. :brow::whistle3:

Don't kill me for this. tongue.gif

Edit: My bad, I meant 6-5th BC to 4th AD

Edited by hhyloc