MishFTW

53 members have voted

1. 1. Indians?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Chinese

• Yes
    • No

I know that we have 4 civilizations already and we're working on two more (Persia+Rome) but dare we venture to the Indian subcontinet? Or the cities of China? The history time period fits too, as 500 BCE- 500CE was a good time. (Wikipedia Indian article) (Wikipedia Chinese article)

There were some neat empires, and we could simulate the campaigns of Alexander or the Persians. Perhaps even expand to the Huns. This would be a nice area to research, and it would add another element for players to explore. I know this will be far in the future (probably Alpha 15 or so) but its never too early. So what do you think?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indians are always absent from historic RTS games. I really don't understand why. The only games I played with Indians are Alexander Total War and Empire Total War (which is not set during ancient/classical period). It would be good to see them added into the game later (By an Expansion Pack or a Mod).

Indians are always absent from historic RTS games. I really don't understand why. The only games I played with Indians are Alexander Total War and Empire Total War (which is not set during ancient/classical period). It would be good to see them added into the game later (By an Expansion Pack or a Mod).

Rise of Nations also featured them.

ive said it before, but ill say it again: i think that after the two planned major releases for 0ad (focusing on the "Roman" world from 500-1bc and 1-500ad, respectively), that there should be up to two more releases focusing on "non-Roman" civilizations such as the Indians, Chinese, Japanese, and Mayans, to give more geographic variety to the game; right now, all the planned civs are only from the area of the Roman Empire

• 2 weeks later...

thats true, but the idea of my suggestion and others is that the lineup of civs for 0ad eventually expand out of the roman world to include civs that the romans never encountered or even knew about (such as the chinese, japanese, and mayans)

Rome knew about China and vice versa. They had little diplomatic contact though.

Out of all these factions though, I could see adding the Indians and Chinese in the future, but only after we complete everything else. :) Some kind of hybrid Mesoamerican faction would be good too. Maybe have a "mesoamerican" culture, then allow the player to choose different tribes as sub-factions the way we allow the Greek player to choose between city-states or Macedon.

Already is a mod for China in the works, but it looks dead in the water which is a shame.

It tends to be easier to stay active and motivated when we have fewer responsibilities. The great majority of the team are students, so naturally we have a lot more time to spare during the summer and on breaks. Simply put, there are four ways in which we could be spending our time:

Studying

Socializing

Sleeping

Developing

You get to pick 3. Naturally, game development often falls by the wayside (because nobody really wants to be a hermit). The good news is, it's Christmas break, so there's a possibility you may see something from us in the next month. Stay tuned.

Rome knew about China and vice versa. They had little diplomatic contact though.

Out of all these factions though, I could see adding the Indians and Chinese in the future, but only after we complete everything else. :) Some kind of hybrid Mesoamerican faction would be good too. Maybe have a "mesoamerican" culture, then allow the player to choose different tribes as sub-factions the way we allow the Greek player to choose between city-states or Macedon.

personally i would recommend just the mayans, though, since they were at about the height of their power or approaching it during the 0ad period (500bc-500ad; i cant remember exactly when)

based on some other posts here, im now thinking that it would be good if all the civs in hypothetical third and fourth packs were not encountered/known by the romans (at least not extensively) but if they are known to other civs from the first two packs, then it would be a plus (like argantonius suggested concerning the huns and the chinese, though im personally not actually sure if those two peoples ever encountered each other or if thats just disney :P)

I'm still vouching for the Kushites. I should get back to researching them...

Ah, definitely. After the last batch of tropical African animals and scenarios the game is practically screaming for a Black African civilization and what would be better than that. Though it would be probably better to use an ethnic all-encompassing name like 'Nubians', that way it would cover all the states that existed in the general area during the 0 AD time table like Kush, Nobatia, Makuria and even Axum/Ethiopia.

Plus, there is the fun fact that unlike Egypt itself Kush remained independent through the period and nearly uninfluenced by the exterior, continuing to build Ancient Egyptian-like buildings and all so it could be used in some campaigns as a stand-in for pre-Ptolemaic Egypt (whose addition as a civ proper would be kinda anachronistic given the game's general timeframe).

As for general strenghts I'm thinking archery and hunting - What are your ideas?

What do you mean?

I think he simply means that they feel out of place with all the Mediterranean civs. After all, None of the civs present in the game (even India if added) had any real significant interaction with China, and especially during this time period.

I agree that they'd feel out of place if China is the only east Asian civ to make it in. Now, if they had they're own crowd (impractical, coming to it from a design standpoint, but just for the sake of argument) like the Qin, Qi, Jin, Chu, Han, and Yan; suddenly the game would have a more inclusive feel. As it stands, the strong focus on the Mediterranean would just make China feel like it was tacked on to increase civilization count.

EDIT: It just might be best to add the Han later with 0 AD part two. At least that way, they've got the steppe tribes as a mutual threat, tying them to the other civs.

EDIT2: And they had fairly significant interactions with Imperial Rome and Parthia.

EDIT3: Oh, and Argantonius, let me get back to you on that one. I've got some ideas, but they need a little further substantiation. :victory:

Edited by Cassador_Chris