Suggestions from an AOE/Starcraft player

Inazuma

Well I wasn't talking about APM really -- i'm talking more about overall speed of the game in terms of general quickness and familiarity with the game/gameplay. You would be surprised how when you play people online who think they are good you'll get accused of hacking or something for rushing at 6-7min.

Well I wasn't talking about APM really -- i'm talking more about overall speed of the game in terms of general quickness and familiarity with the game/gameplay. You would be surprised how when you play people online who think they are good you'll get accused of hacking or something for rushing at 6-7min.

A decent 0 A.D. player should be able to send an attack party around that time, yeah... or in my case, be able to defend against an attack party around that time. ;)

cool :)

An attack around the 6-7 minute mark usually shouldn't be a killer blow, unless the defending player is a total noob. :) Buildings are too strong for that and it should be easy enough for the defender to scrounge up an adequate defense with his worker-soldiers. I could see someone getting caught off guard though and feel like they should just resign (prematurely, I may add).

Yeah, that's what i'm talking about, mythos. In 0 A.D. you have to send a large attacking force or siege units to end the game, not like SC2, where you can destroy a mighty "planetary defense" with just 2 soldiers in a very short time. Also, comparing to AoK, SC2's maps are too tiny, in matters of 30 seconds you can cross all the map with a basic worker, meanwhile in AoK you could take 1 minute and a half to cross the map with a paladin (a very fast unit). Tiny maps are good for attackers, as close buildings increase the rallying time of the defender's troops.

I'm not wishing a fast game to take 40 minutes (that was the average for a game with balanced player-skill, in AoK), but they shouldn't be too fast, either.

• 2 weeks later...

lets not miss the point of a game like this.. it is to bring all the good things from age of empires style rts games to a modern arena. My friends and I would play age of empires, empire earth,empires dawn of the modern world ect ect.. all those games for hours on end. This game could have a quick rush style mode but their should be an empire builder mode like in "empires dawn of the modern world" where a 4 player game could take 2 hours to win. The big huge epic historical RTs games is where it is at and probably the main goal of this game.

Edited by lattimershotgun

A raid that steals women

Do I see a new feature here? ;) It's quite a good idea in my opinion... Give some military units the ability to steal women, and if they manage to drop them off at your home base they're yours... very consistent with Roman mythology for instance; see 'The Rape of the Sabine Women' (rape = old English for abduction). So maybe a special feature for Roman citizen soldiers? To balance it out a bit, you could make so that the bereft player retains the woman's LOS until she's dropped off at the enemy's CC, and make the kidnappers move very slowly. When a kidnapper is killed the woman is set free :).

Edited by Android_

Do I see a new feature here? ;) It's quite a good idea in my opinion... Give some military units the ability to steal women, and if they manage to drop them off at your home base they're yours... very consistent with Roman mythology for instance; see 'The Rape of the Sabine Women' (rape = old English for abduction).

It's actually an old feature ;) =) It's been planned for as long as I know to have the cavalry able to capture female citizens. (Having them carrying them to the home base would take too much work to implement I would guess, so the plan is to have them convert enemy female citizens which are within an area around your cavalry units, and don't have any enemy non-female units nearby.)

I bought Starcraft 2 two weeks ago (50% off, because of the thanksgiving, i think, or the 7th birthday of World of Warcraft) and i found out that the multiplayer is indeed a bit boring (less than i thought, though), but the only campaign of the game is really amazing! There are the cinematics (which give the player a real notion about the story of the game), there is the campaign menu (where you progressivelly buy upgrades, researches and hire mercenaries for your missions, you can choose which of the available will be your next mission, there are exclusive upgrades and units to the campaign (not present in the multiplayer, but, some, present in SC1), at some points you'll have to make decisions that will determine which missions will be opened next, and throughout the campaign you role the rebel Jim Raynor (Not physically, as you only have control over him in one mission), but you really feel as if you were there (the way the characters interact with you is very good). And a very important thing too: it was available in my language!

Finally, as a conclusion, i can say that, besides the multiplayer, i really liked "Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty" and i'm looking forward to the expansion "Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm".

Edited by Pedro Falcão