Ekdromos, Asabari and Anusiya

kephra

Moin,

there are few troops I would like to be different: The first two changes would be easy, the third difficult at the current stage.

Ekdromos had been out runners to counter Peltasts, so they should be light Hoplites, able to run fast enough to catch a Peltast, with good armor against arrows and javelins, but not enough armor to stand in the line of battle.

The basic Persian Asabari should wield a bow and not a javelin, imho. The Persians preferred the higher range and larger ammunition of a bow, over the short range but higher punch javelin. Greeks preferred the opposite.

The immortal Anusiya had been mounted infantry with bow, spear and shield. An intermediate solution would be to have troops who have both ranged and short weapons, and who will use the ranged weapons till contact. Unmounting cavalry and handing the horses to the supply train, would require a supply train in 0ad. I fear this is out of question for the next year. But I want both infantry and cavalry that is able to weaken down an opponent with bows, and then closing up to melee. So please, give Persian both types of immortals, and give them the flexibility of both ranged and melee combat.

ciao,Kephra

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it the Ekdromoi's light armor doesn't guarantee that he will be able to catch a peltast, but to exit the phalanx formation when the situation requires, fight in loose formation and push the enemy skirmishers away since the peltasts are smart enough to avoid a direct melee with even the lightly armored Ekdromos.

Edited by hhyloc

Moin,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it the Ekdromoi's light armor doesn't guarantee that he will be able to catch a peltast, but to exit the phalanx formation when the situation requires, fight in loose formation and push the enemy skirmishers away since the peltasts are smart enough to avoid a direct melee with even the lightly armored Ekdromos.

but currently the Ekdromoi behave like super peltasts, who are faster, have better armor and more punch than a normal peltast, while the idea of real Ekdromos had been to have light hoplites who are fast runners, fight in open or lose formation to hunt down peltast, to counter peltasts. The current Ekdromos are one of the strongest units, but they make Greek feel wrong, because they are implemented as ranged and not as melee. Make them extreme fast running, medium armor infanty, that has bonus again bows and javelins, and malus against heavy infantry.

ciao,Kephra

Edited by kephra