What are your times?

Mythos_Ruler

Are we talking multiplayer or against an AI?

I'd say your times are about right, although I might be a minute or two behind you at 26:00. I've never tried to do a fortress push in multiplayer - when the main battle begins, I normally focus on getting new troops into battle, not expanding territory further.

I'm curious about more details of your strategy. Especially about types/numbers on units, I still haven't figured out the benefits of female citizens vs. citizen soldiers. I guess females should definitely work on fields but I wonder if it is worth using soldiers for other stuff since then you have defence. Also what map are you playing? With a lot of maps it doesn't seem to make sense building an expansion since you could build barracks instead (for training) and you have enough resources nearby for quite a while so mills are more efficient.

I'm curious about more details of your strategy. Especially about types/numbers on units, I still haven't figured out the benefits of female citizens vs. citizen soldiers. I guess females should definitely work on fields but I wonder if it is worth using soldiers for other stuff since then you have defence. Also what map are you playing? With a lot of maps it doesn't seem to make sense building an expansion since you could build barracks instead (for training) and you have enough resources nearby for quite a while so mills are more efficient.

Oasis II. Expansions are also meant to deprive the enemy of land and resources too. Right now it's not as effective, since bots can build anywhere, but when such build limits are in effect for bots he who gets his expansions up quicker will have a greater edge on the competition. Even now, it is useful to get a Civ Centre up near unclaimed resources to better prevent the bot from getting to them.

On Oasis II, my training queue consists of 2 females right off the bat, then 2 spearmen and 2 archers and 2 skirm cav, then I max out the queue with females. After gathering the treasures with my first 4 females, I send them to go build a wood Mill and a metal Mill and a Farmstead near the berry bushes. The soldiers I use to build RAX and houses. The cav I use to hunt and scout. Subsequent females in the queue I use to help build up and gather. Once the RAX are up I start pumping soldiers out to build and gather. The initial attack by qBot is really mostly an annoyance. I don't worry about attacking first, I worry about maintaining a good econ. Initial attacks are always beaten back, so they are no real threat. I suggest having the bot attack sooner, in more numerous, smaller waves, and instead of targeting my CC they target nearby Metal and stone piles or some spot X-tiles away from my CC.

Females are bonused in gathering berries and farming. They are also decent at lumbering. Use soldiers to Mine and never use soldiers to gather farms or berries if you can help it. Females are hella cheap and train quickly, so I train lots of them when I tons of extra food. Pop cap generally doesn't become an issue usually ever. I've never hit the pop cap at 300 in a single player match yet and thought "darnit!" But I suspect I may in the future in multiplayer. Mill placement still holds the AI back a bit. I would also like to see it move toward Champion units after the 20:00 mark. Perhaps a ration of 2:1, Champions:Citizen-Soldiers. AI should maintain a limit of maybe 20-25 females, no more, and have them focus on things other than mining unless their men have all gone off to war. Then switch some to mining. Anyway, just some unorganized thoughts for you. :)

Oasis II. Expansions are also meant to deprive the enemy of land and resources too. Right now it's not as effective, since bots can build anywhere, but when such build limits are in effect for bots he who gets his expansions up quicker will have a greater edge on the competition. Even now, it is useful to get a Civ Centre up near unclaimed resources to better prevent the bot from getting to them.

Soon this problem should go away as qBot gets territory support, I will have some more free time past Wednesday unless infyquest completes it before then. It will be interesting to see how important territory denial is.

Mill placement still holds the AI back a bit.

I think Mill placement is working correctly and is fairly decent, what isn't working correctly is getting workers to work on the resources near the mills. Also relatedly gathering rates should eb taken into account for this code as well.

AI should maintain a limit of maybe 20-25 females, no more, and have them focus on things other than mining unless their men have all gone off to war. Then switch some to mining. Anyway, just some unorganized thoughts for you. :)

One of the main reasons so so many females at the moment is the fact that the men suddenly go off to war, so having lots of females stabilizes the economy a bit, plus they are cheap and pop cap isn't a big issue like you say.

Thanks for the feedback. It is helpful. (Some stuff I didn't comment on was useful, I just didn't have anything to say about it).

how do i arrange to verse someone in a multiplayer game? is there a thread or forum which people use to set up games? if your a medium level player i would love to verse you.

The best place is usually to log onto the IRC channel: irc://irc.quakenet.org/0ad (if you have an IRC client just click that link and it should open, you can also connect to irc.quakenet.org and /join #0ad that way) If you don't have an IRC client you can connect via the web using this link: http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=0ad

Beat in 25:32...

Your tactics are sound Mythos =)

Just a note, adding archers into town centres makes them deadly =)

Playing as Carthage? I find playing as Hellenes is more challenging, actually. I tried it as player 2, Hellenes, and found it much more challenging. Of course, I was playing against qBot this time though. I should try it against Jubot and see.