0 A.D. on YouTube

Mythos_Ruler

1 hour ago, Gurken Khan said:

I wouldn't know. ><

Still I think it's nice that they counted 0AD as a new game, granting massive exposure.

btw Why does the a25 trailer only have ~6% of the views on yt compared to the a23 trailer?

it was on display for a long time.

The normies of the gamer world will not understand our updates. Usually our changes are gigantic and nobody knows about it.

Many youtubers expect us to announce a beta, not a new Alpha. They rule out making gameplay thinking that they are minimal changes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

it was on display for a long time.

The normies of the gamer world will not understand our updates. Usually our changes are gigantic and nobody knows about it.

Many youtubers expect us to announce a beta, not a new Alpha. They rule out making gameplay thinking that they are minimal changes.

Heading off the topic, we'll get told off if we have too long a discussion on it, but... This whole business of discriminating against the concept of an 'Alpha' version - I know this is purely semantics, but if alpha has such poor connotations, why not drop it? Just call it Version 25 or release 25? We all know what it actually means, and we all know the game is and has been fully playable for literally years. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mysticjim said:

Heading off the topic, we'll get told off if we have too long a discussion on it, but... This whole business of discriminating against the concept of an 'Alpha' version - I know this is purely semantics, but if alpha has such poor connotations, why not drop it? Just call it Version 25 or release 25? We all know what it actually means, and we all know the game is and has been fully playable for literally years. 

It is what people form in their heads, they think that a great change will occur when they stop having that title.

A lot of people stuck with that A23 concept.

That cycle did us a lot of damage, but we are getting back on track.

You have to take the 0 A.D project as a project that will always be ongoing thanks to the fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mysticjim said:

This whole business of discriminating against the concept of an 'Alpha' version - I know this is purely semantics, but if alpha has such poor connotations, why not drop it?

I'm strongly in favor of calling the release after a26 beta...

I guess the devs don't see it as a polished game yet, and a lot can be done, of course. But seeing that corporations publish unfinished - or even unplayable - versions, I don't think we have to be overly modest. Just call it beta, still leaves all freedom and yet signifies progress.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

You have to take the 0 A.D project as a project that will always be ongoing thanks to the fans.

Yes, I do agree with this statement 100% - as I said, the existing player base who've been here a while know it, and it goes without saying that the volunteers contributing to the project know it. But for the sake of a moniker, potentially a lot of new players, influencers and maybe even future prospective future volunteers might not understand it due to preconceived notions of what a project in an 'alpha' might be.

I'm slightly wary of the alpha and even the beta tags, both suggest a state of pre-completion that apply much more to commercial projects. The impression I get is that alpha means early, unfinished, not fully functional to a lot of people. Beta suggests almost finished, perhaps not quite fully featured yet, but may be soon. 

Neither of the above truly apply in the case of 0AD. It certainly won't be 'finished' soon, if ever (as you rightly suggested.) And while there are longstanding things involving ongoing work to improve, it's also a competitively played game with a fully functional and growing feature set. It can be played and enjoyed in a state of completeness with very professional presentation. It is what it is now, and it will be what it evolves into in the future. 

I don't think a changing of the versioning name would change the perception of 0AD overnight, but possibly it might  subtly improve certain first impressions, maybe cause people to take a deeper look at the project rather than dismiss it through misguided preconception. Maybe? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mysticjim said:

Yes, I do agree with this statement 100% - as I said, the existing player base who've been here a while know it, and it goes without saying that the volunteers contributing to the project know it. But for the sake of a moniker, potentially a lot of new players, influencers and maybe even future prospective future volunteers might not understand it due to preconceived notions of what a project in an 'alpha' might be.

I'm slightly wary of the alpha and even the beta tags, both suggest a state of pre-completion that apply much more to commercial projects. The impression I get is that alpha means early, unfinished, not fully functional to a lot of people. Beta suggests almost finished, perhaps not quite fully featured yet, but may be soon. 

Neither of the above truly apply in the case of 0AD. It certainly won't be 'finished' soon, if ever (as you rightly suggested.) And while there are longstanding things involving ongoing work to improve, it's also a competitively played game with a fully functional and growing feature set. It can be played and enjoyed in a state of completeness with very professional presentation. It is what it is now, and it will be what it evolves into in the future. 

I don't think a changing of the versioning name would change the perception of 0AD overnight, but possibly it might  subtly improve certain first impressions, maybe cause people to take a deeper look at the project rather than dismiss it through misguided preconception. Maybe? 

Almost always we appear in tops With the indies of the moment, if we do not appear in a top sometimes it is because they are all AAA, or because they have a departure date.

Just search for RTS 2020-21 or games like AoE.

8 minutes ago, mysticjim said:

The only lack of communication, we should launch more messages on social networks and talk about mods.

Clarify that we do not intend to abandon the project and that we have long-term goals, the game has been playable for years.

Unlike other projects we use our own homemade engine. That takes us time than other indies.

0 A.D. Sigma 1. ;) 

But for real. There may come a time when the game is so complete that development can switch to "seasons" or yearly releases that are balance and content packs. 0 A.D. Season 1, Season 2, etc. Multiplayer Players can have 2 ratings, an "Overall" rating and then a rating for that Season.

If a release is in early January, then the team continues to work on the next release all year. Feature freeze hits on September 1st, with Balancing continuing until December 1st. Final polish continues until January 1st. Of course, the schedule can be adjusted based on when you'd really want the Release to occur. Beginning of the year? The week before Christmas? Late Autumn?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

development can switch to "seasons"

I have thought about it.

the problem will be the old schoolers.

If we say that we will have season like Fortnite...Many boomers are going to have a heart attack, our projects are supposed to be underground.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen