0 A.D. on YouTube

Mythos_Ruler

@LetswaveaBook I think the gamestyle most people complain is the p2 in 4/5 min and 20-30 merc cav around 7 min, attacking fully the enemy.

Modify user.cfg to enable higher zoom.  Use 2 groups of 7-10 units, even 3 groups.  Move them around enemy base kiting the spearmen.  Capture buildings, etc when cav left alone to slowly nibble down on the buildings.

@guerringuerrin That was a fun game.  I was surprised by Belizard and his strategy.  More players are doing it.

@LetswaveaBook Belizard may have outplayed me in k/d but he didn't play a team game - only targeted me.  Belizard had no ally vision, or even bothered to explore my pocket whereas I raided his pocket and kept pressure on his pocket too.  For example, I raided the pocket by keeping units chasing me therefore off resources or killed his mass of women-only wood gatherers  (SrIvar was harassed by me substantially more than Belizard's non-harassment of my pocket).  Additionally, SrIvar was called to help Belizard substantially earlier than my pocket came to help me.  My pocket came only at the last minute when he was ready whereas SrIvar was chasing me around Belizard base a lot (During a game this is a sign that my strategy is working as I'm tying up 2 players for the price of 1).  This is a win in upgrades and resource gathering for my pocket whereas SrIvar was handicapped.

Non-carthage civs win games.  Carthage is just a sacrifice to cause chaos and keeping merc cav in your own base or the other Carthage player's base won't cause the chaos.  Additionally, Belizard spent most time being defensive at his CC with Carthage.  Belizard didn't have shared ally vision the whole game.  Shared vision is extremely important for raiding ... especially with Carth Merc Cav.  Not only can you not be playing a team game without seeing allies or communicating with allies but you have to be more offensive than defensive to win - especially when you go low pop merc cav with Carthage. 

End-game stats don't really tell the whole story.  Keeping enemies running around and off resources isn't quantified by the end-game stats.

image.thumb.png.5239a2f4613e360f8a6d4aa390195e23.png

Belizard's min-map around 14:30

image.png.2b0700f1e4b591a205c9dfd78cf87dad.png

My mini-map around the same time:

image.png.5ebe430a21e029bafb0fc4847a363c6e.png

Edited by Dizaka

On 25/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, Player of 0AD said:

We have a new Youtuber (who is also already a top 150 player btw)  -  @the-x alias Björn Bär!

Covering for example a match with borg-, the highest rated player of the world at the time of that match! And there are more videos of high class matches.

I'm very happy to cast the greatest games of 0ad that happen :-) --> You can always send me your replay and I will make entertaining of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:
On 03/11/2021 at 6:45 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:
Expand  

@ValihrAnt May I suggest you try another civ and another map? Miletus Peninsula, Gallic Highlands, and Saharan Oases skirmish maps are the ones I worked the most on, so are probably the best.

I was thinking about trying out a nomadic civ, so these suggestion are really useful.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ValihrAnt said:

I was thinking about trying out a nomadic civ, so these suggestion are really useful.

Nice. Scythians are the most developed nomad civ so far. I would set the AI to Random/Settled Civilizations, since the AI can't properly play nomad civs yet. :) Also, the nomad gameplay is still in flux. I haven't finalized it yet for sure, but the Scythians specifically are definitely in a playable state.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ValihrAnt said:

A few things from your first video:

• I haven't worked out an authentic roster of "Blacksmith" forge techs for the Zapotecs yet. That will be a challenge considering the Mesoamericans never made iron weapons and armor.
  • Unit vision range increases for each passing phase. :) The small vision range in Village Phase is to make the world feel bigger and make the Scouts more important. Later on, Scouts are pretty much unnecessary unless you want to make suicide runs or something with them. lol
  • Mercs are indeed powerful. I may increase their cost. They can only be trained in very limited numbers though (max 30+10 for each new merc camp captured), so that may balance out.
  • The Zapotec "Cult Statue" is the large Ball Court as you found it. I might add some kind of garrisoned units=glory mechanic for it. Other civs' cult statues are much smaller (Athens builds statues to Athena, for instance). As a unique feature, the Zapo wonder also acts like a Cult Statue.
  • Units see less, have shorter range, and move slower inside clumps of trees, called Groves.
  • The Incan wonder you might be thinking of is Machu Picchu?
  • The AI doesn't play the mod very well at all, so best to put them on the highest difficulty.

14 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I haven't worked out an authentic roster of "Blacksmith" forge techs for the Zapotecs yet. That will be a challenge considering the Mesoamericans never made iron weapons and armor.

Wonder if forge shouldn't have been a carpenter workshop or a stone cutter one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

Wonder if forge shouldn't have been a carpenter workshop or a stone cutter one.

Yeah, a "Weapons Workshop" would work. As Lion said, same basic shape it is now, same props, except no fire or anvil and no smoke stack. "Metal" tech costs could be converted to stone. 

Or they could use a completely different paradigm, perhaps using the Upgrade feature to change the Workshop over from one version to another, each having unique auras that boost soldier attack or armor.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

25 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, a "Weapons Workshop" would work. As Lion said, same basic shape it is now, same props, except no fire or anvil and no smoke stack. "Metal" tech costs could be converted to stone. 

Or they could use a completely different paradigm, perhaps using the Upgrade feature to change the Workshop over from one version to another, each having unique auras that boost soldier attack or armor.

technologies must be regional and cultural.

Props are easy to conceive: Think of their decorations and armor.

They should use a lot of cloth, fur, feathers and wood.

There should be cages for animals, the macaws they are easy to keep in cages without hunting unlike the jaguar.

They should have paint to decorate almost everything.

The volcanic stone is important and the wood.

All those weapons were attached with "glue" , some natural resin.