0 A.D. on YouTube

Mythos_Ruler

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It would be cool if some made videos like this, but using 0 A.D. in-game footage!

I wonder why haven't more historical YouToubers use 0 AD footage for documentary. While it is understandable that Total War games have more epic and realistic scale to depict historical battles, they are less effective to depict strategy/tactics. The good ones usually just use squares, but I've seen someone use goddarn Rise of Nations screenshot to depict Battle of Pharsalus.

I think perhaps there could be 0 AD Historical Background video series (could be posted on YouTube and 0 AD website) where each historical map is used to recreate the historical battle on it with narration (or just captions). Of course these videos should have been approved by 0AD historians first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Nice simulation. Didn't know pikemen could be that fast.

The problem with this is that all unit have violent stance by default, and units with violent stance will break formation once an enemy is on their vision range, regardless of AI formation (clearest example is the one against 20 Hoplite + 30 Slinger). It could have different output if the the other side use standground stance, or if it was controlled by human player as well.

Have you tried using AI for both sides, or let UnitAI handles the pikemen side without player intervention?

• Like 1

BTW is there example from real world that explains the strength of a) archer j) javelear ?

for me it feels that in real world archer are stronger. maybe it consist very much to the age of century. doesn't matter. i just thinking 

5 minutes ago, seeh said:

BTW is there example from real world that explains the strength of a) archer j) javelear ?

for me it feels that in real world archer are stronger. maybe it consist very much to the age of century. doesn't matter. i just thinking 

Archers were strong because they can attack from a distance, but they also could not be used like rifle troops in the modern army because they were vulnerable to enemy projectiles and melee. 

You can block arrows with a shield so archers cannot do much against testudo 

• 2 weeks later...

Jim and Tom seem not to be publishing a lot of youtube videos lately.

I posted a video with making a tier list in mind. This video was to compare Kushites and Ptolemies and whether the belong in the same 1v1 mainland tier. I have also found an excuse for my stuttering speech/pronunciation, since I wanted to turn watching in an active engagement.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

I posted a video with making a tier list in mind. This video was to compare Kushites and Ptolemies and whether the belong in the same 1v1 mainland tier. I have also found an excuse for my stuttering speech/pronunciation, since I wanted to turn watching in an active engagement.

Thank you.

I am also planning to make tutorial videos teaching people how to make mods, so that they can experiment with their own balancing ideas. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I am also planning to make tutorial videos teaching people how to make mods, so that they can experiment with their own balancing ideas. 

I also what thinking about doing at that some point. But yeah, I was looking for excuse to be lazy and postpone it. A25 being around the corner seems a fair excuse. So if you post such a video, I would gladly see on your way of explaining. What might also be nice is to show how to add technologies, change phase requirements or create units similar the the women_house file.

One of the benefits of the 0AD game engine is that practically anyone can make mods to test balance changes.

• Like 1