0 A.D. on YouTube

Mythos_Ruler

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think adding the Han would kind of bring 0 A.D. to a larger audience. I think they'd be a big hit.

if it is a very large audience but to depend on many things, I don't know how much internet freedom the Chinese have.

They try that our western ideas are not going to defile or mislead the Chinese people.

The century of humiliations, the opium wars, is still very much in mind.

That is why the CCP examines what content it approves for them.

Lion Kanzen about Han Chinese:

People in Mainland China definitely have access to 0AD if they want it; it is not banned :). In fact my friend Robin posts 0AD videos on Bilibili (Chinese equivalent of Youtube) here: https://search.bilibili.com/all?keyword=0AD&from_source=webtop_search&spm_id_from=333.909 . I am glad to say that he is not the only Chinese 0AD player, if you scroll down this page you find other Chinese people who uploads 0AD videos. However, 0AD is still not very well known in China yet, not because of censorship but because it comes in English by default so many players cannot understand it. The Linux users in China are not really gamers and gamers are too immersed in Tencent games...

There is a Chinese 0AD discord group and CAGD_lulofun is the 'leader' of that discord: https://discord.gg/VJ97mUv4

I did spot a few Chinese players in the lobby today (clearly identifiable by their names). There are more Chinese players who fight the AI all the time because they have long pings in lobby games due to long geographical distance. However, in most cases the ping can be under 280ms. Sometimes they are deterred by language barrier. 

The Chinese government would not ban a such a fun open source game just because an opium war broke out more than a century ago... the types of game they ban are ones that contain adult content or promote extremist views. 0AD is quite healthy for any standards. 

• Like 2

If we can overcome the language barrier, then, with some appropriate advertising, we can get a huge player base in China as Chinese gamers would love a game that does not force them to pay real money in some way. The Han Chinese civ definitely would attract them, but, it would be difficult to balance though because currently the Han is OP. 

Even without Han Chinese the game would still prove attractive to potential players. AoE is quite prominent in China at this point, although the most popular games are CSGO, LOL, PUBG and Genshin Impact. 

I must also point out that the majority of Chinese gamers play on their phone instead of a gaming pc. If an Android version of 0AD can be released then that would be quite popular. 

• Like 2

@Lion.Kanzen The above are what Robin and I think about 0AD in China. I will ask CAGD_lulofun for his opinions; he is a Taiwanese player rated around 1500.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNHlv9N2BnJjITHbW5V-gRQ

Robin's Bilibili: https://space.bilibili.com/437974995/video

Robin's Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMfNFa4F-ml8KUDKn2sYspQ/videos

Although I am not fully fluent at Chinese myself I can understand most basic conversations. I and Robin are willing to offer any lingual / translation assistance where needed, although most Chinese teenagers are able to understand basic English. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It's another good example on how you don't need to have the art to make gameplay changes :)

That's certainly true. But I had trouble understanding what was happening without corresponding new art. It's early of course. The modder could put years of his or her life into it and turn it into a Pirates of the Caribbean RTS. ;) 

• Haha 1

Hi all, I am Robin and I am willing to publish 0AD videos on my BiliBili channel. I already have a YouTube channel as seen in Yekaterina's links and the videos in my Youtube channel are also on my BiliBili. With other Youtubers' permission I am able to copy and publish their 0AD videos on BiliBili and add subtitles myself to help the viewers understand. BiliBili permits 'transporting' Youtube videos onto their website as long as I specify the source and the content can pass their inspection. The process of transporting such a video is as follows:

1. Download the video from Youtube using 4K Video Downloader or youtube-dl on Linux. 

2. Upload the video into BiliBili's online video editor

3. Add subtitles using their editor

4. Write description, specify category and source.

5. Submit the video to the inspectors

6. After a few hours the video will be approved and made public on Bilibili

Steps 2 and 3 can be replaced by editing in Kdenlive or Shotcut (I will use the most convenient method for myself). 

Declaration: I will not benefit monetarily from this process. I upload videos onto BiliBili as a hobby and there is no financial transaction involved. I am currently a level 2 user (maximum being 6).

The first video I am planning to 'transport' is the A24 Xsayarsa release trailer. If its author can give me their consent I will do it as soon as possible.  Hopefully it will attract a few potential players. 

With the consent of @mysticjim and @ValihrAnt I will transport their videos onto BiliBili as well. If you also make 0AD videos please tell me and I will transport your videos as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/04/2021 at 7:49 PM, Yekaterina said:

If we can overcome the language barrier, then, with some appropriate advertising, we can get a huge player base in China as Chinese gamers would love a game that does not force them to pay real money in some way. The Han Chinese civ definitely would attract them, but, it would be difficult to balance though because currently the Han is OP. 

Even without Han Chinese the game would still prove attractive to potential players. AoE is quite prominent in China at this point, although the most popular games are CSGO, LOL, PUBG and Genshin Impact. 

I must also point out that the majority of Chinese gamers play on their phone instead of a gaming pc. If an Android version of 0AD can be released then that would be quite popular. 

That explains why I always see them in Clash Royale.