0 A.D. on YouTube

Mythos_Ruler

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, LordGood said:

Sure it is, maybe not the flaming bits, but small torsion engines were used in fortifications, notably enough in the siege of Syracuse but in later hellenistic fortresses I do suspect  torsion engines were installed in designated towers

Hellenistic_Artillery_Tower._Reconstruct

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZOJk1w-nZMP5ywj3dd-j

Maybe we could change the projectile actor then ? :)

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

on the other hand it's totally not historically accurate XD

Freestanding towers in general just weren't really a thing outside of the Roman Limes (although I don't know where that second pic from LordGood comes from. Is it actually an example of a freestanding tower?). But every civ has towers because it's an RTS convention. That said, artillery towers (attached to walls) were indeed a thing. Of all people, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm kind of in favor of waving historical accuracy for these things because they are pretty darn cool (Alistair's reaction says it all), and they're not super unhistorical because artillery towers did exist... They shouldn't break the game of course. And if I understand correctly, they're only for Greco-Roman civs, so it would feel relatively believable.

Spoiler

1719729634_Ospreyancient-greek-fortifications-500-300-bc6.thumb.jpg.e590991e2563cb26ac62309ba904f07a.jpg

1816960447_Ospreyancient-greek-fortifications-500-300-bc.thumb.jpg.52e53c90146907a5a87689e88c6ac796.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Freestanding towers in general just weren't really a thing outside of the Roman Limes (although I don't know where that second pic from LordGood comes from. Is it actually an example of a freestanding tower?). But every civ has towers because it's an RTS convention. That said, artillery towers (attached to walls) were indeed a thing. Of all people, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm kind of in favor of waving historical accuracy for these things because they are pretty darn cool (Alistair's reaction says it all), and they're not super unhistorical because artillery towers did exist... They shouldn't break the game of course. And if I understand correctly, they're only for Greco-Roman civs, so it would feel relatively believable.

Hide contents

1719729634_Ospreyancient-greek-fortifications-500-300-bc6.thumb.jpg.e590991e2563cb26ac62309ba904f07a.jpg

1816960447_Ospreyancient-greek-fortifications-500-300-bc.thumb.jpg.52e53c90146907a5a87689e88c6ac796.jpg

But maybe then they should be scorpio and not stone throwers towers? 

If mercenary camps were a thing, I would make roman/greek mercenary ballistas avaliable (but limited) for everbody

16 hours ago, badosu said:

I am afraid these towers will be abused much. As much as I like the idea of leaving my base knowing that I can defend from siege, I am concerned about incentivising turtling.

You have the player experience, so I can take that into account.

But I think the Towers serve more of as Offensive Siege buildings. It's the Tower for the Offensive Base Crawlers. And besides, I don't think you can't get them by turtling anyway (since they're City-Phase buildings).

6 hours ago, sphyrth said:

That's indeed rare of you @Sundiata. I was already expecting you calling it out the moment it was posted in the Forums. I was honestly cowering under my blanket, hoping that you'd go easy on it.

Hahahahaha...

5 hours ago, badosu said:

I am concerned about incentivising turtling.

Legitimate concern, and yes, the towers definitely shouldn't be OP... Maybe they should be significantly expensive/strict build limit? 

Currently turtling isn't the most viable strategy though, although it should be just as viable as rushing. So the towers could actually help balance offensive vs defensive play. I tend to play very defensively myself, especially in early game, but it's really just a good way to get clobbered (although in a recent match one of my opponents referred to the 20 minute final battle in my base as "Stalingrad", which filled me with a little sense of pride :), artillery towers would have made a difference, but the three invading armies would have defeated me either way). 

37 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Town center + Fortress still appear a tad too yellow.

That must be the lighting they use the same texture...

As for the fire boulder I will fix it somehow. Removing the particle is easy :)

we could make smaller variants for the tower level below 

The only thing to keep in mind is projectile should be visible.

• Silier featured this topic