Studying abroad..

Well, next fall I kind of have to study abroad.

Does anyone have any good ideas or experiences they want to share?

I've thought about London, but thats basicly because I want to watch Tottenham football matches every other weekend, or the US. Of course. But where in the US?

My school encourages us to go to Dubai, don't really know why but I don't want that huge cultural difference, and England, the US, France, Germany and pretty much every country in Europe, and USA and Canada is similar to Norway.

Wait. You mentioned Germany. It's not just easier to speak german if you want to study here, but also does it look like our universities have many more students than they can actually educate. If you really would like to study in a german-speaking country, I would rather advise you to go to Switzerland, even if they speak a very strange dialect( ;) ), because the situation on their universities is generally a better one, as said in the media. Moreover, in parts of Switzerland, people speak French or Italian(edit: if you would like to learn these languages).

Edited by Almin

My school encourages us to go to Dubai, don't really know why but I don't want that huge cultural difference

Does your school have connections with Dubai? Via, exchange program? If so, that's probably why they encourage you to go overseas to Dubai. I know when I graduate with my M.A. History, I'm going to a either East Asian country (P.R.C., Taiwan or Japan) or Israel, haven't made up my mind where yet. :P I know my East Asian adviser is pushing me to go to either Shanghai or Beijing, since we have a strong Chinese program at my university.

Our school have connections in Dubai yes. They actually have a lot of connections I've been told, but popular countries are hard to get into. Like, if they have 2 openings in Australia, which is a very popular country to study in, at least in Norway, and like... lets say 20 apply... well, do the math :)

But, we can choose wherever we want to study outside of school, it's really no difference. The only thing is that it's your own responsebility, and not the university's.

It's not really an issue for me what kind of language it is, although, of course, I would prefer English. At least a country that has English in their education so the general public can speak somewhat understandable English.

Why Finland? Isn't it a little bit too similar to Norway? Like, I was thinking... not Sweden, not Denmark, not Iceland (for a lot of reasons =p) and not Finland. Never been there though, just generalizing here :)

I would avoid Dubai, it sounds like a really boring, oppressive place. I think you should go to a large metropolis with a real urban environment, not a bunch of skyscrapers and super-highways in the desert.

I know when I graduate with my M.A. History, I'm going to a either East Asian country (P.R.C., Taiwan or Japan) or Israel, haven't made up my mind where yet. :P

Israel! ;)