Where arth thou?

ZeZar

Hihi. Hello.

So basicly I just need a few question answered :)

First of all, and YES, I have been looking around the forums and the 0ad webpage for answers, how playable is the alpha 7? I dont know -anything- about coding or similar stuff, so I can't play unless there are a main menu and an install step-by-step document (or just an easy installer, would be even better).

Is there AI in there somewhere?

I have picked up that alpha 7 (along with alphas in general) are just for testing and "checking out what it CAN be", rather than what it is right now.

Also, and I KNOW people can't seem to get that you need your time and all that, but... do you know anything about a beta release?

I am however, really looking forward to check it out. Been a long wait since I first joined and things are (from an outsiders perspective) finally looking to move fast-forward :) You guys are doing an incredible job!

hugs from your old pal :)

0AD is very playable in multiplayer . The AI is pretty easy to beat and as of alpha 7 the AI does not understand the concept of territory very well so if you want to play go multiplayer . I personally think that there will at least be around 6 to 7 more alphas before there is a beta as things like technology , research , diplomacy , good AI , Romans and Persians , Naval warfare (realistic ) , seasons , trading etc the list is pretty large so you can see why there wont be a beta for quite some time yet .

0AD is very playable in multiplayer . The AI is pretty easy to beat and as of alpha 7 the AI does not understand the concept of territory very well so if you want to play go multiplayer . I personally think that there will at least be around 6 to 7 more alphas before there is a beta as things like technology , research , diplomacy , good AI , Romans and Persians , Naval warfare (realistic ) , seasons , trading etc the list is pretty large so you can see why there wont be a beta for quite some time yet .

Technology and research would be the same thing :) And there will be no seasons (I know it says so in the Design Document (DD), but that part is not updated. We're currently reviewing future plans and will update the DD once that is done to better reflect the current plan.) But yeah, there is still quite some work left before the game is finished.

Thanks for great replies.

I'm currently living at my cabin, so fast internet is a big problem (It's on an Island). Therefor multiplayer online can be a problem. Its like 1 mbit download, 400 kb upload :\ OH, but when there is good weather, its like 3 mbit down and 1 mbit up. Just wait for the sun, then start playing I guess.

Well ok then, downloading. Yes I am on Windows. :)

I'm usually not good either, so if the AI is bad thats probably a good thing. At least for now :)

Thanks again for all replies, always helpful :)

<3

Yeah, I wonder if the programmers would be willing to preserve a "stupid" version of the AI and turn it into an "easy" setting for single player, to give a break to bad/inexperienced players.

It should be fairly easy to adjust things in an AI to make it play worse and make the game easier. I think it would probably be more fun having a developed AI not playing optimally than an earlier version trying to play optimally but badly. In qBot this will definitely be possible.

Thanks for great replies.

I'm currently living at my cabin, so fast internet is a big problem (It's on an Island). Therefor multiplayer online can be a problem. Its like 1 mbit download, 400 kb upload :\ OH, but when there is good weather, its like 3 mbit down and 1 mbit up. Just wait for the sun, then start playing I guess.

Well ok then, downloading. Yes I am on Windows. :)

I'm usually not good either, so if the AI is bad thats probably a good thing. At least for now :)

Thanks again for all replies, always helpful :)

<3

LOL, My internet is 1mb up and 400kb down, same as yours. Game plays very well in multiplayer. I think the important thing is ping. You can have all the bandwidth in the world, but still have bad ping.