Moving Art to this forum?

Hmmm, well the reasoning would be to garner contributions, not to amuse the peanut gallery. ;) But we'll see. ;)

Art is something very different from code . The licence is different and there are a whole host of other issues . So I have an Idea make all art relating to the roman civilization available . See if there are quite a few contributions or are just people commenting on the art . After that take a decision whether to open the rest of the stuff up . This way if the exercise does not generate the desired result then you don't waste time and energy opening the entire artwork .

Edited by ac892006

Art is something very different from code . The licence is different and there are a whole host of other issues . So I have an Idea make all art relating to the roman civilization available . See if there are quite a few contributions or are just people commenting on the art . After that take a decision whether to open the rest of the stuff up . This way if the exercise does not generate the desired result then you don't waste time and energy opening the entire artwork .

Well, we really only have Persian and Roman buildings left to polish off. The Roman buildings need a 95% overhaul though.

Well, we really only have Persian and Roman buildings left to polish off. The Roman buildings need a 95% overhaul though.

I am just saying take a small amount of art work and open It up . Which part you want to open up is your choice . Preferably open that part on which least amount work has been done . See how many contributions pour in . Decide whether it is worthwhile to open up the rest of your art .

Edited by ac892006

It's not much work to start moving art discussions and tasks to this forum instead of hiding them in our private task forums. :)

I think what you are trying to say here is whether you should simply move your artwork from a closed forum to an open forum , so that people can comment on it , critic it , give you suggestions on improvement and you hope that some one may want to contribute artwork as well . Good Idea but there are some points to consider before going down this route .

1. Comment Management : - How would you separate useful comments from the peanut gallery one's . Note that art is much more subjective than code . One man's masterpiece is another man's trash . So expect a diverse range of views on art work especially coming from a diverse set of people both artists , non - artists , coders , developers , historians , peanut gallery people etc (you have a very wide diaspora in 0ad forums ) . Separating the useful comments from the rest so that artist don't have to deal with a deluge of comments is essential .

2 . 0ad artwork is special :- You emphasize a certain historical accuracy to your work but many people just don't know that much history . So commenting is difficult as one is most likely get more influenced on what they see about the period of history from T.V or movies or read in novels rather than the facts resulting in comments which are as useful as spam . So you must impress upon the forum members the various historical constraint's on each artwork before beginning the discussion about the artwork in question . ( I mean show them the historical references you are using to make the artwork like painting's , sculptures , historical account's etc )

there are many other issue's don't have time to list them all . I still think you should follow my previous suggestion of putting only a small subset of the art out on the forums and see whether it is helpful or not . Then decide on the rest . Hope these comments help your development team take a judicious decision on the mater .

Edited by ac892006